Who's got the biggest....lacquer peel

abelw44

My Activa...

Wing tops, front and rear bumpers, top of nearside B pillar, bootlid, and top of the offside front door all have sunburn. Roof and bonnet have previously been resprayed (not the best job ever) as I'm sure they were peeling merrily before.

Every time I wash it I find more bits of the stuff all over the driveway.

Hmm.. Recently 'acquired' a Schkoda Octaviarse & while overall in rather good condition, one owner, fsh etc, it's got dreadful scabby herpes lacquer peel on the boot lid & roof. I was contemplating a DIY repair but now that I've chucked the wheel trims in the bin & the back box is leaking, I'm inclined to leave as it is.

Pictures to follow.

Great daily shitter!

CFD

I wish I kept the eBay pics of my ZX. When i bought it it had been photographed from an upstairs window, as is traditional. The roof looked super shiny and you could see the reflection of the clouds in the Bristol sky in it!

This, however, was wishful thinking, and it would have been a contender in this thread.

This V70 was a brilliant buy at any price, three years ago. Perhaps largely because of the roof which had a tennis ball sized area of peeling, which has steadily spread. The paint's otherwise mint but it seems to annoys drivers of shiny vehicles once they've spied the rooftop dishevelment.

It's getting to the stage of being worthwhile taking the 400-grit, compressor and spray gun to it - perhaps before winter. Though probably not.

post-4845-0-06942700-1525202612_thumb.jpg

Here's my Activa...

Not the worse peel ever...but *annoying* simply because the bodywork is immaculate other than the sunburn...

[] O/S Front door top.

post-21985-0-71059800-1525202347_thumb.jpg

[] I assume the roof has gone spectacularly at some point, hence the quality spray job...Mmmm...overspray...

post-21985-0-61409300-1525202372_thumb.jpg

To be fair, if someone has done this with rattle cans in their driveway it's a good effort compared to anything I've managed I reckon.

[] O/S Front wing top.

post-21985-0-16832900-1525202460_thumb.jpg

[] Front bumper & radiator grill...

post-21985-0-32970800-1525202502_thumb.jpg

[] N/S Front door top & Wing mirror.

post-21985-0-88009500-1525202529_thumb.jpg

post-21985-0-26573100-1525202566_thumb.jpg

[] N/S Rear pillar...This is probably the most annoyingly visible bit - especially as it works its way down a little further every time it rains.

post-21985-0-04204400-1525202582_thumb.jpg

[] Tailgate...This has gone really strange, looks like there's been some sort of paint reaction going on...Strangely the spoiler isn't affected.

post-21985-0-42274200-1525202666_thumb.jpg

post-21985-0-65976800-1525202707_thumb.jpg

...likewise the bumper.

post-21985-0-36700300-1525202750_thumb.jpg

If the car wasn't so darn tidy I'd be more inclined to just leave it like that...However I reckon it'll likely be subject to a full respray at some point...Probably going to go with a proper vivid Ferrari red I think as I reckon it would suit the car very well.

My 1999 S3 has simply stunning paintwork!!!

It was re-painted under warranty when still relatively fresh... and the finish... whilst not exactly great.. with the very odd fish eye and bit of dirt.. has lasted unbelievably well... considering it's now 19 years old.

Why can't they be painted that well to start with??

post-17341-0-50658500-1525474644_thumb.jpg

Is it worth having a go at the bits where the clear coat has gone with the polished and cutting paste? Likely to shine up, or just rub through?

Not that there's much to loose!

Id a passat a few years ago... bonnet peel was pretty bad.. took it to a power wash and successfully managed to blast most of the lacquer off. I polished the bonnet many times... it never got any better than a satin sheen, and nothing like the colour of the rest of the car.. eventually it was treated to a blast over with clear coat.. only way forward.

In all seriousness, can someone explain to a science thicko why red paint is the worst for fading and peeling, please?

It's something to do with the wavelength of sunlight, and what colours red reflects. Or something. No doubt someone cleverer than me will be along to explain.

Guest Hooli

My 1999 S3 has simply stunning paintwork!!!

It was re-painted under warranty when still relatively fresh... and the finish... whilst not exactly great.. with the very odd fish eye and bit of dirt.. has lasted unbelievably well... considering it's now 19 years old.

Why can't they be painted that well to start with??

Because it's cheaper to do a shit job that only lasts as long as the warranty.