Advice Please: Kent, Cars, Pre-war stuff

vulgalour

Hi Vulg, I had a look through all the meters my dad rescued and they're either completely trashed and don't power up, or so far out of calibration (the swing-needle ones) that I'd feel bad sending a fellow shiter something completely useless.

He's going skip-raiding again this week as he's seen a few oscilloscopes he's got his eye on, so I'll still keep an eye out for you.

The immediate pre-war period in terms of car manufacturers seems to be the analogue of the British computer industry in the late 1970s to early 1980s. Dozens of manufacturers all doing their own things, all convinced that they're onto the next big thing and that their way of doing things is best.

It's confusing as hell looking back at it and trying to make sense of it.

More winning news as well in that I showed the other half that Nash and he was well up for tackling something that looked like that rather than something shiny.  That's really rather exciting, it opens up so many more potential projects rather than having to stick to the shiny stuff.

• 1 year later...

Just over a year on and the house move is finally happening.  It's a bit complicated and rather than going into the complications, suffice to say I shall be in Maidstone fairly near the town centre.  It's not mine or my partner's first choice but we've got to a point where we've both decided it's the best solution.  There are some compromises that I had to make that I didn't want to.  The driveway, for example, is constructed of a variety of different slopes and levels and is entirely unsuitable for working on and one of the outdoor steps is so massive it makes getting any car past a certain point of the drive very difficult and not ideal if you're using that car daily.  I can keep the cars off the road, so that's good, but not being able to easily work on anything not so much.  Even the street outside the house is on a slope.  There is a garage and a good sheltered outdoor space to work in, so it's not a total loss, I just have to readjust to losing a lot of the good workshop and car help that I've enjoyed over the last few years living in the North East.

When we finally buy a house that meets the bizarre criteria imposed upon us (it really is complicated, and infuriating) it will have a much better car storage and working-on-cars solution because we do both still want to acquire something pre-war.  In the meantime, I'm hoping that I'll be able to meet up with south-east shiters and maybe even find a friendly spannering location to make use of when one of my cars inevitably shits itself dramatically.

30ish miles to me.

Skoda_Fan, Joey_Spud, Christine, RobT, StuBoy, Robinmasters, GrumpiusMaximus are similar or closer. Probably a few others I've temporarily forgotten! (Roadwork UK I think)

Then the Sussex crew like SierraMikeHotel, DozeyDustman, Mr Bickle, GaryCox aren't that much further

I'm just outside Gillingham and am also a northern Alien, though I'm a lackluster shiter nowadays. It's a shame you couldn't make the move to the Ashford countryside or areas around Whitstable that were previously mentioned as they're very nice, but easy enough to get to for a day out. 

Keep an eye on the events at the Detling showground and Leeds Castle. Always things happening there.

Have to say, I first moved to a small village kinda-near Hemel Hempstead for about 5 years but I never heard any "Northerner" jokes until I moved to Kent. ...

Ashford isn't off the cards for the future, only for the now.  I suspect the proper move into our own home won't happen until 2021/2 after all the B****t nonsense has actually resolved into something, because that's part of the complications involved in acquiring funding for the mortgage.  Fun times.  We'll get there eventually, and I've put up with far, far worse situations than living in a slightly too small house with someone I rather like.

I will of course shout for help if I come unstuck with anything and hopefully I'll be nearer folks in need of help so I can return the favour, bit isolated up here so it's really difficult to get to anyone, especially with my working hours being what they are.

Having Leeds on the doorstep is still confusing to me, especially considering how small it is.