The legendary IOW Audi 100 taxi

CortinaDave

2 hours ago, Eddie Honda said:

Look what the cat's dragged in...

328347319_OTkzY2Q1ZDgxMzBmZTY1MTZhMWY1ZjA2Y2IzZjkyOWVJeR_ksv0aMtnD0XsyeIPvaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS-vcy9waG90b18xMzk3MDQzNDB8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA.thumb.jpeg.75767898a6dc50f73293e566a65e3786.jpeg

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/1985-audi-100/23510415

Price €2,950 €2,500

Last change of owner in August 2017. VED ran out in October 2017; MoT expired June 2018. Not marked as exported, so it could be brought back. Oughterard's a touristy sort of place, grand for fishing on Lough Corrib and that type of thing. 

Probably still being driven in Ireland on those plates; the Guards don't seem to pull cars in for registration irregularities. 

Had a weird feeling it would resurface there. Fair few UK -registered cars have gone over to be flogged on.

Well I can’t believe it!

I live literally a few houses up from the original taxi owner on the Isle of Wight, privately run in a small village. Obsessive is an understatement when it came to maintenance, which he did himself. It was always garaged and I would often see it up on axle stands with him cleaning the inner arches and underneath. He would buy all genuine parts either from the main dealer on the Island and later on direct from Germany.

Its a huge regret of mine that I didn’t buy it when it came up for sale. It got bought locally by a VAG fan pineapples included and then got passed around. Quite a shock to see it now in Ireland.   

3 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

probably still being driven in Ireland on those plates; the Guards don't seem to pull cars in for registration irregularities. 

In Kerry they seem red hot on locals importing cars and avoiding the tax, in-laws have been asked several times when driving UK cars before re-registering them.  Maybe they don't have much else to do down there...

45 minutes ago, cort1977 said:

In Kerry they seem red hot on locals importing cars and avoiding the tax, in-laws have been asked several times when driving UK cars before re-registering them.  Maybe they don't have much else to do down there...

Maybe they're not given enough work to do by the Healy-Raes.

A few of us tried to buy it when it went through Copart. From memory it made pretty strong money (pushing four figures) which was a little surprising. I really wanted it too, but want it less now there’s a fat old mark up on it. 

Pleased it’s still going mind...

40 minutes ago, BorniteIdentity said:

A few of us tried to buy it when it went through Copart. From memory it made pretty strong money (pushing four figures) which was a little surprising. I really wanted it too, but want it less now there’s a fat old mark up on it. 

Pleased it’s still going mind...

If my memory serves me correctly it was advertised at £400 or £500 when it first came up for sale on the Island. 

2 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Maybe they're not given enough work to do by the Healy-Raes.

Ha!  Sorry for the thread derailment but yes, Michael Healy Rae is the local TD and I always spend a happy few minutes taking the piss about him when I'm over there.  He does represent the interests of his constituents more than most parliamentarians though, he has spoken in favour of raising the drink drive limit and easing planning restrictions which are definitely the main local concerns.  He is even a roffle enthusiast although his fundraising one is currently being investigated by the guards.  https://www.rte.ie/news/campaign-daily/2020/0120/1108572-michael-healy-rae-raffle/

Just now, cort1977 said:

Ha!  Sorry for the thread derailment but yes, Michael Healy Rae is the local TD and I always spend a happy few minutes taking the piss about him when I'm over there.  He does represent the interests of his constituents more than most parliamentarians though, he has spoken in favour of raising the drink drive limit and easing planning restrictions which are definitely the main local concerns.  He is even a roffle enthusiast although his fundraising one is currently being investigated by the guards.  https://www.rte.ie/news/campaign-daily/2020/0120/1108572-michael-healy-rae-raffle/

He even seems to be able to be in two places at once.

^^^ The 2E2 on the B2 Pished Rat we had was a bastard for suddenly dropping power like it had iced up, and the wax-stat idle speed controller was shite too, but at least that gave you cruise control in 4th gear in a 30-zone.

Loving the Healy-Rae stories - here's some nonsense from about 5years ago:

20150528_192851.jpg

2 hours ago, The Mighty Quinn said:

Anything Pierburg was generally rubbish. ..... Gave up and ordered a Weber conversion, the standard cure for Pierburgitis. Must have fitted 50 or so Webers over the years.

My parents had a 1989 Jetta GL, with a Pierburg and automatic choke. The choke eventually failed, so the car would idle erratically, and would also give a bit of a kick when on the move. The Pierburg was removed and a Weber installed with manual choke. The difference was like night and day - stable idling, much more eager performance (it required little effort to go to an indicated 110, and still felt like it could go faster).

1 hour ago, Spurious said:

.... their own little fiefdom sown up

The power of patronage.

2 hours ago, Spurious said:

He had the highest first preference vote anywhere in the country last time round.

They've their own little fiefdom sown up

About 20 years ago my wife's sister and family were living in a bungalow opposite the church in Cromane in Co.Kerry,when Danny Healy-Rae turned up to give a church gate speech in behalf of his father.Which was immediately disrupted by the three terriers in the family rushing outside, putting their front paws on the wall and barking at the top of their voices.Which produced great hilarity among the worshippers 

2 minutes ago, Ben_O said:

I always used to see that floating round the iow until it just vanished.

I always thought it was odd to have such an old car as a taxi

And now it's in Ireland!

Cheap tax boi. €80 per year. 

Seeing a lot of late 80s barges making their way to Ireland now. Makes sense as if it was <30 years old it would cost €908 to tax for a year (based on a 2226cc)

3 hours ago, Spurious said:

Cheap tax boi. €80 per year. 

Seeing a lot of late 80s barges making their way to Ireland now. Makes sense as if it was <30 years old it would cost €908 to tax for a year (based on a 2226cc)

That's incorrect.

€56 pa for over 30.

Under 30, 2201-2300cc it would be €994 (anything before 2008 is Private Car Standard.)