£50, Rover 400 R8, XUD TD, in JRG. Needs sparky stick action

flat4alfa

BACKGROUND

This was my WBOD for 2016 > 2017.
Brilliant runner for the winter, started on the button, great heater, 50mpg and comfy dizzling commuter for over 3000 miles.
Then MOT expired, the sills I tore to pieces with a stick, bought a Rover 420 as SBOD instead and it has sat behind my gates since. Didn't want to get rid as there are only 68 left with this engine !

13227843_10154720419564918_6996565909103 13235681_10154720418584918_2751276468466 13247809_10154720418204918_1044377513696 14567979_10155191763594918_1380881830171

COLLECTION THREADAGE

Bit pointless but I might as well for my own amusement. I didn't get round to putting the thread at the time, so here, proper belately, it is

chugger_collection_2.jpg chugger_collection_1.jpg chugger_collection_3.jpg chugger_collection_4.jpg

[From L to R] Oh look! A spare space on the drive. Travel pack at the ready. Off we go, oh woe.

chugger_collection_5.jpg chugger_collection_6.jpg chugger_collection_7.jpg chugger_collection_8.jpg

Wazz #1. Train #1. Cor look at that roof.

chugger_collection_9.jpgchugger_collection_10.jpg chugger_collection_13.jpg chugger_collection_14.jpg

Morning! Sir John. Munchies and mag. Wazz #2 (I'm getting on a bit)

chugger_collection_11.jpg chugger_collection_12.jpg chugger_collection_15.jpg chugger_collection_16.jpg

Going underground, going underground. Train #2. Arrival at destination, oop norf.

chugger_collection_17.jpg chugger_collection_18.jpg chugger_collection_19.jpg chugger_collection_20.jpg

Zombies?!?. Looks not unlike Luton from here. Hello Mr Northern Rover R8 Club Person.

chugger_collection_22.jpg chugger_collection_23.jpg chugger_collection_24.jpg chugger_collection_25.jpg

Pez #1 - you only need one Pez stop with these frugal old school dizzlers, so there will be no Pez #2 sorry. Dealer sticker in effect.

chugger_collection_21.jpg chugger_collection_26.jpg chugger_collection_27.jpg chugger_collection_29.jpg

Every car needs a shelf for your cheap nav, phone and/or drink.

chugger_collection_28.jpg chugger_collection_30.jpg chugger_collection_32.jpg chugger_collection_33.jpg

I do not understand the humour. Getting there and dusk is looming, glad I'm well away from the Zombie zone.

chugger_collection_31.jpg

Spare money found upon arrival !

AS IT IS NOW

The same, but rustier and slightly grubbier. Alloys went into the shed to keep/sell

WP_20180416_19_13_19_Pro.jpg WP_20180416_19_14_10_Pro.jpg WP_20180416_19_16_44_Pro.jpg WP_20180416_19_16_59_Pro.jpg

Moving house soon so must go. It is up and running and driving, but most would see it as a breaker. It has
- XUD 1.8 Intercooled Turbo with CAV pump
- Water tight, oil tight, never overheated, etc..
- It's in JRG.
- Good gearbox, much clutch.
- Good doors, boot lid, bonnet (but that got a dink).
- All glass, working sunroof, working windows, working mirrors.
- Good bumpers front rear.
- Beige AS dashboard.
- It's in JRG.
- All anciliaries, I did say it was running.
- WORKING CLOCK.
- Crumbly giffer-style filled arches all round (not by me).
- Service book, receipts, V5C in my name.
- It's in JRG.

WHERE I AM AT

Sill and arch repair panels are readily available for not-a-lot, but Wife said NO.
Car Take Back said YES with offer of £91 last week.

Offered on here! As engine ideal for that Austin Maxi conversion you have in the pipeline.

£71 to autoshiter? Yes it will drive onto a trailer or drag on a frame ok. The £20 difference I will pay into the AS coffers.
Will have to go whole though, as I have yet another car to get out the garage and fuss/sell that as well.

Bedfordshire, just west of M1 jn 11.

What I really really cherry on top hope for, is someone with sparky stick talent (and time) to sort it and thus I get the promise of first refusal repurchase come next WBOD, which by then I should have moved house and put life back in order

Yes it's cheap as I've had some good turns off this forum recently and (in journalist Keith Adams' words) want to 'pass on the Karma' (insert daft Nokia 6110 era smiley here)

do you have a few shots of the crustyness just in case my dole money amounts to £72?

Nearside and offside sills and arches:

https://postimg.cc/gallery/2ezvd2zsm/

Both front wings are filled along the edge too but they are bolt on.  Could just be tidied up.

Turrets all good

Boot floor all good

Box sections up front all good

One eBay seller sells sill skin + arch, inc post, for £65 per side

• 3 weeks later...

HHnnnnnnnnnnnnngngngngnnnnn. I think I've driven just about everything with an XUD in it *except* a Rover 200/400 series. Really would love to have this, but current circumstances say I really can't.

I'd even be able to do the weldage on it.

Tits.

I missed out on a XUD Turbo 418 for £350 one lady owner, Nightfire red an' all. Dithered because it went on sale at a time when I was fiscally challenged. When I finally had scraped the cash together the bugger literally sold it on the same day I was rich* again.

If anyone can, Tom can. Then he can sell it to me. Or swap it for a Cruiser.... oh, hang on....

• 3 weeks later...

Oh fuck it then I'll have it. Can't lose at £50

Even though I have no time, space or inclination to drive down south, this does appear to have my name on it.

It may get fixed or it may get broken but either way it won't be get weighed in and wasted.

PM will be sent shortly....

Tempted

Loving all the tempted/if only posts.

It's 50 fucking quid.

This will get bridged.

The price is hardly the issue.

I have no need for this car and I have no time to do the welding in the foreseeable future. It is miles from me. £50 makes it more tempting but I was rather hoping another shiter who may actually need it would save it.

I hope this explains my 'tempted' post....

• 3 weeks later...