Buy a brand new* car for £450 - Perodua Myvi for sale

wuvvum

So the Perodua finally passed its MOT on Saturday, which was a relief after the hours of fun* I had crawling around underneath replacing a front to rear brake pipe.  The emissions are now back down where a low-mileage Japanese engine should be since I plugged the Lambda sensor back in.  It had a new pair of drop links on the front as well.

It's not a bad thing to drive as moderns go, if not exactly the most involving steer.  It goes OK with its 1.3 VVTi engine, which is nicked from the almost identical Daihatsu Sirion and shared with the Toyota Yaris (although I am reliably informed by Skattrd that the Daihatsu version of the VVTi system is better).  It's pretty good on fuel now the Lambda sensor is working, and it holds its own on the motorway.

It's quite well equipped for a budget car, with remote locking, electric windows all round, aircon and a built-in CD player which doesn't sound too bad but isn't going to send any audiophiles into a spontaneous orgasm.  It's fairly tidy all round although it does have a few bruises and the front bumper isn't 100% (more of which later).  It's fairly clean inside and quite spacious for a small car, being basically a box on wheels.

It has a few issues, which are the reason it's cheap, although none of them affect its usability:

The aircon doesn't seem to do anything - could just need a regas m8, could be something more. 

The rear tyres are getting towards the end of their useful life.

The driver's door mirror was kicked off by a ne'er-do-well prior to my ownership.  I've cobbled it back together and it is functional but less than aesthetically perfect, plus the glass is a little small (ordered one for a Sirion on the assumption that they'd be the same, but they're not).

The engine light comes on after a while - this appears to be due to a sensor for the VVTi - there is a newish-looking sensor in the vicinity of the camshafts which could be it, if it was wired in by the same mong who did the Lambda then it might not be working properly.

And finally it's been the subject of an insurance claim at some point in the past - I'm not sure what category and they've all changed since then anyway, but it appears to have had a fairly minor bump on the front - the front bumper has pushed out OK but is a bit the worse for its adventure, and the metal support bar behind has been bent back - someone has cable tied a block of wood to the front of it to keep the bumper in place.

Mileage is about 58K, it has a full MOT as said, and it's in NE Norfolk.

Pics (sorry they're a bit shite, sun was making it awkward yesterday)::

post-190-0-70721800-1524468005_thumb.jpg

post-190-0-63580900-1524468082_thumb.jpg

post-190-0-92963400-1524468584_thumb.jpg

post-190-0-65595600-1524468733_thumb.jpg

I've been curious about what these are like, seems well equipment considering Perodua used to sell us the cheapest new car and that these were available from better recognized brands. They were also available as the Daihatsu Sirion (as mentioned) and as a Subuaru Justy but they aren't 4WD which seems daft seeing as that is exactly what Subaru are known for.

does the engine light put it into limp mode? or is it a friendly engine light that just illuminates and keeps you company as you continue to pile miles on?

The second one. :)

I've been curious about what these are like, seems well equipment considering Perodua used to sell us the cheapest new car and that these were available from better recognized brands. They were also available as the Daihatsu Sirion (as mentioned) and as a Subuaru Justy but they aren't 4WD which seems daft seeing as that is exactly what Subaru are known for.

When I had the Kenari a couple of years ago I was quite impressed by the fact that the electric sunroof closed itself automatically when you took the key out of the ignition.

You know what, that's actually almost a more tempting proposition than sticking it on Gumtree...

You could make a long weekend of it, enjoy the sunshine and seaside... I would pay you to bugger off back home - don't want you Northern riff-raff spoiling the joint :)

Hmm. Google-fu he say 338 miles and 5h50m by car, then about 7 1/2h on the train home.  So yeah, not really a day trip.  I could potentially stay overnight with my parents in Portishead if they're about - it's about an hour and three quarters from there, so would enable a sensibly timed train home to be got.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...