A Leboncoin dream

bramz7

Spending an early holiday last may in France, with enough cash burning in the pockets to buy something Renault 4,5 or 6, visa, 104 etc...

But...it didn't happen, maybe I scarred the Frenche of in the South, with my apperence, I wasen't able to make a deal on a car whatever we tried.

This never happened before, appointments were cancelled just before arrivel and there are some changes with the "Carte Gris" wich is now a more online issue instead of the paperwork.

Happy to be home after a few weeks in the Midi Pyrenees, a phone call this week, suprised me where I got offered a beige R6 TL from 1978, just 30 minutes from our residence...I do have two R6s, another one is always nice...I'll check it out this week, and if the purchase is done, a thread will be opened..

(Well, ok...I did manage to buy a good set of steel wheels for my R5 GTL from 1984 for 30 euros...a real bargain, but the price did go up by 90euro on route to pick them up I got a speeding ticket, in the letterbox today, post from France!)

Have considerable Renault Nine experience, Dad owned one for 13 years, first car I drove solo.

Best described as “absolutely nothing special” but in a way that kinda makes it even more special these days. That’s a fairly early one, ours was the facelifted model with a slightly different dash. Dead simple mechanics though.

UK eBay has a Renault 11 (hatch) listed in the classic car section. Needs work but probably easier to import from Wales rather than France.

Would it be taking the piss to insure it on a FJ classic policy with continental recovery included and then get it relayed home after it breaks down 10 miles after starting out?

From personal experience, while classic insurers are happy to insure a car on a chassis number, they are more reluctant to provide breakdown cover on a car with no UK number. We drove back from Romania knowing we had no breakdown cover...

We drove back from Romania knowing we had no breakdown cover...

Why bother though? If they can fix it, so can you. If they can't fix it, it'll only be recovered up to the market value anyway. In that instance, it'll be a wallet-emptier at the nearestish garage anyway.

I'm sure that Argentine bloke doesn't worry about breakdown cover on his Graham Paige.

does the froggie selling site do 2 wheelers???

be interesting to see what 80's 2 wheelers are going for

Yes it does but the bargains are few and far between. I have just picked up a Honda xls 125 for 250 euro but its a non runner with no papers. As for breakdown recovery I use swintons and they came out to jump start the Spanish reg hearse when I brought it back through france

Would it be taking the piss to insure it on a FJ classic policy with continental recovery included and then get it relayed home after it breaks down 10 miles after starting out?

Exclusions:

14. Any costs for vehicles that were already broken down, or were not safe to drive when cover was taken out.

16. More than the cost for legal abandonment and any Customs Duty imposed if the estimated repatriation cost exceeds the market value of the vehicle in the UK.

https://oqs.rescue24.com/documents/fj_wording.pdf