Tamworthbay

The about bloody time Capri resto thread

2 hours ago, The Mighty Quinn said:

What paint are you using? It's just that if you're going respray it later on, you could do without the arseache of having to bare metal the car because the paint won't take a regular 2-pack on top.

Tbh, I'd save/polish as much of the original paint as possible and do the sides etc with a custom made rattle can or four. Might cost you 100 quid but it's a regular cellulose or single pack acrylic. Once on, you can give it a quick breath of 2000 grit and T Cut it to a half decent finish. That colour looks very forgiving as well.

Bumpers: soda blast and powder coat.

I have plenty of celly to do the whole car - just the mate with spray kit who has gone awol, so will use that with a roller and see how it goes. By the time it’s finished about the only area that will be original paint will be the roof. The paint  was professionally matched so is pretty close colour wise. It will do for now. The colour is odd, it’s imperial red which wasn’t popular at the time and I thought mine was the only survivor but there is another but not this spec. It’s even odder being an L as metallic paint as an option would have put it within about a tenner of a GL with free metallic paint and a few other upgrades. The story I was told by previous owner is that it was a dealer demonstrator but no way of proving that either way now.

Metallic? I think that's going to look terrible. It needs to be sprayed on so that the flakes land the right way. From the pics I thought it was Terracotta, that solid brick red from 1981-4.

I'd wait until your mate can spray it tbh.

3 hours ago, Tamworthbay said:

Jawel are brilliant, the guy in there knows me well now! Just waiting for some primer to come as it needs more and then some decent weather. I am not expecting a perfect finish but just got to the point I want to be driving it not painting it. I am at that excited ‘it’s nearly finished’ point where I miraculously find time I didn’t think I had.

Yeah that's the one couldn't think of the name. Quality stuff so much better than Halfords

15 minutes ago, The Mighty Quinn said:

Metallic? I think that's going to look terrible. It needs to be sprayed on so that the flakes land the right way. From the pics I thought it was Terracotta, that solid brick red from 1981-4.

I'd wait until your mate can spray it tbh.

Been waiting four years, it ain’t going to happen, I have paint, will see, if it looks shit I will get Jawel to make up some rattle cans once they reopen.

Jawel are brilliant, the guy in there knows me well now! Just waiting for some primer to come as it needs more and then some decent weather. I am not expecting a perfect finish but just got to the point I want to be driving it not painting it. I am at that excited ‘it’s nearly finished’ point where I miraculously find time I didn’t think I had.

Yeah that's the one couldn't think of the name. Quality stuff so much better than Halfords

Just sorted the insurance for this year, not bad at £80 from Lancaster. @drain Flux were cheaper but I am not than keen on using them on anything where I may actually need to claim off them as have heard some less than ideal stories.

Just spent a few minutes looking into HVLP sprayers as there are A- small, and B - cheap. Some of them look decent for very little money. As I have the paint already it may be a better way than getting rattle cans made up if the roller thing doesn’t work. I plan to do a test on some scrap when the primer arrives and I get a decent day.

IMG_20200419_165831.thumb.jpg.65451634eed2ea8a5a1ada472d219d1e.jpg
Had a few minutes this afternoon so had a play with rollering the paint. I used an old BBQ lid that has lived outside for years. Prep consisted of a quick wipe over with piss coloured thinners. Then the thinnest coat of undercoat ever and a quick roller. I was impressed with the result for such a shambolic job. It comes up a little orange peely for sure, but that seems to mostly be hidden with lacquer. I may take the time and do a proper test with flatting back in between to see how good it can get. The colour/ flake seems to match the sprayed sections fine. I am also looking at HVLP systems, specifically a spraymate one recommended by practical classics which gets good reviews on line. For less than £80 it may be a worthwhile investment.

IMG_20200502_135402.thumb.jpg.c678504a510068756a7c3709a01c4c67.jpg
With My Mum being in hospital I couldn’t get my mind around any big jobs so decided to do one I could drop if I needed to. I have sanded the front bumper back and get it in primer, apart from a couple of minor bits it’s ok and surprisingly solid for its age. A decent coat of black and it will be good to go.

1 hour ago, danthecapriman said:

Hope your mum’s ok. 

Bumper looks straight, should look brilliant with a coat or two of black.

Thanks, it’s had a bump at some point but nothing serious. I expecting to have to let metal in or do serious work but apart from a bit of surface rust here and there it was very good.

So the HVLP system arrived this afternoon. It was highly praised by practical classics but either they are blind or lying. After spending several hours with it, it’s utterly shit. You can see the paint particles as they come out, it’s that bad. The finish is far worse than when I tested the roller. I thought it would be at least rattle can good but sadly no. It’s so orange peely it would take a month to flat back. The best way I can describe it is like hammerite. I was genuinely excited at getting colour on tomorrow but that won’t happen now. In better news Jawel paints are open for mail order so some decent colour matched rattle cans are on their way to me. I should have just done it that way but thought a decent spray system was worth having and I had the paint already......

40 minutes ago, purplebargeken said:

I have an Apollo HVLP set up that is in the loft, happy for you to borrow it mate.

Thanks mate, I have some matched rattle cans on their way, so should be ok but will give you a shout if I get stuck.

On 4/18/2020 at 4:35 PM, Tamworthbay said:

Just spent a few minutes looking into HVLP sprayers as there are A- small, and B - cheap. Some of them look decent for very little money. As I have the paint already it may be a better way than getting rattle cans made up if the roller thing doesn’t work. I plan to do a test on some scrap when the primer arrives and I get a decent day.

I painted my old Renault Master camper with an Apollo HVLP sprayer back in the day. I used coach enamel, and I was pleasantly surprised by the end result. The finish had a nice deep shine, if a little orange-peely in places, but this could have been polished back by someone more fastidious than myself. The only real drawback I found was the monumental levels of overspray the thing produced - I was green from the waist down 🤣

There's a thread here with some pictures:

4 minutes ago, strangeangel said:

I painted my old Renault Master camper with an Apollo HVLP sprayer back in the day. I used coach enamel, and I was pleasantly surprised by the end result. The finish had a nice deep shine, if a little orange-peely in places, but this could have been polished back by someone more fastidious than myself. The only real drawback I found was the monumental levels of overspray the thing produced - I was green from the waist down 🤣

There's a thread here with some pictures:

I went for a Bambi Spraymate in the end (That sounds well dodgy!) after the reviews it got in practical classics. It doesn’t so much produce a mist as a shower - you can see the droplets coming out. The finish is like hammerite unfortunately. It would be great for chassis work or similar but no good for what I wanted it for. Biggest irritation is that it took so long to get here I will miss the chance to get any colour on this weekend, but the project has taken so long another few weeks won’t harm.

2 minutes ago, Tamworthbay said:

I went for a Bambi Spraymate in the end (That sounds well dodgy!) after the reviews it got in practical classics. It doesn’t so much produce a mist as a shower - you can see the droplets coming out. The finish is like hammerite unfortunately. It would be great for chassis work or similar but no good for what I wanted it for. Biggest irritation is that it took so long to get here I will miss the chance to get any colour on this weekend, but the project has taken so long another few weeks won’t harm.

Argh... missed that post. Maybe try Ken's Apollo? Saying that, I don't know what they're like with cellulose, only coach paint.

25 minutes ago, strangeangel said:

Argh... missed that post. Maybe try Ken's Apollo? Saying that, I don't know what they're like with cellulose, only coach paint.

This one is the cheapest of the Apollo range, after reading some good reviews I thought it was worth a chance but hey ho. The rattle cans are coming from Jawel and while they aren’t cheap they have been a perfect match and gave a great finish when I did the passenger rear arch with them. It will be a 10ft car anyway but the level of orange peel/ hammerite effect was frightening!

I have had people telljng me to use coach enamel on my SD1. However it is black - also it is a big car with lots of curves so it needs spraying. By somebody more skilled than me.

30 minutes ago, Tamworthbay said:

Keys in pic to give an idea of particle size and this was the BEST it got, some mixes were even worse!

image.thumb.jpg.f54b1efafbf1b68cd8606d8231ed5ed6.jpg

Blimey! That was worse than anything I had to deal with, fair dos.

44 minutes ago, strangeangel said:

Blimey! That was worse than anything I had to deal with, fair dos.

I was more than a little disappointed to say the least. I spent about three hours and got through nearly a litre of different paints trying to get something reasonably good. The best was primer applied thickly but it also ran like a sod. Overall it just isn’t worth the extra work compared to doing it with rattle cans. It didn’t seem to get the metallic fleck looking right either. Oh well, it will do the shed!

A very productive day making the most of the nice weather. It took a stuffing age to sort the heater out. I had bought new bolts which I assumed would be the same as the old ones, after nearly an hour of back breaking positions only two were even vaguely in. I decided to bite the bulletproof and take it out AGAIN, I then fitted the clips that came with the bolts and it went in easier. Still a ballache though. Even with pretty much the entire dash out. I would love to know how it was done on the production line. Then the dash top went in. That took some fiddling but is now in. That was a satisfying moment. This was all in between sessions on the wing and rear arch to do the small bits that needed doing. Two ‘tiny’ dents on the wing ended up more than I thought after putting stopper in but it’s getting there. Then to finish off I adjusted the tracking as the car crabs horrendously as it’s never been done since the new rack went on. I have a DIY tracking kit I will get on it at some point but not sure how it will work on a sloping drive. And I stuck the shitty furry dice in that wife got me as a joke when I first got it.
IMG_20200508_140610.thumb.jpg.03a517a549d3adc747c6f026721fe19d.jpgIMG_20200508_124253.thumb.jpg.8307c8a418cb92d5b244d73bb7ffd80b.jpg

I shouldn’t laugh, but I share your frustration with the heaters!

And, I do believe the entire interior is built up around the heater unit. When I did my rebuild this time it was the first thing I put back in, then I added everything else around it. I’m going to be livid if it doesn’t work or leaks!

Your dash top looks a good ‘un. Doesn’t appear to be any sun damage.

17 minutes ago, danthecapriman said:

I shouldn’t laugh, but I share your frustration with the heaters!

And, I do believe the entire interior is built up around the heater unit. When I did my rebuild this time it was the first thing I put back in, then I added everything else around it. I’m going to be livid if it doesn’t work or leaks!

Your dash top looks a good ‘un. Doesn’t appear to be any sun damage.

I rebuilt it with a new motor, tested it when I got it in and it’s not bloody working. That’s a job for another day though. It’s not coming out again that’s for sure! Dash top is immaculate, the beauty of a car that has been garaged for the great majority of its life. When I had only had the car a month I was offered £500 for it, I only paid £600 for the car!