Tamworthbay

The about bloody time Capri resto thread

1 hour ago, Tickman said:

Have you booked the MOT yet?

It is coming along well, nice that it is nearly done.

Unfortunately I have a crazy fortnight at work coming up so probably won’t touch it during that But am off after that. A couple of hours more would have it MoT ready so will do that and book it in at my local friendly MoT man. So possibly two weeks Tuesday or Wednesday could be on the road!

Went out for petrol and the gauge still isn’t moving. The arm is moving well, the resistance is as expected, wire repaired. Not really sure what the issue is but will investigate further when I get a chance.

No pics as a pita morning. The internal door handles/ arm rests proved to be an utter ballache, mostly down to having a slightly different type of clip to the original. Then the lights started playing up (Volvo blew a bulb today as well, odd). Got that sorted, sorted the fuel gauge. So everything ready now for the MoT. Only slight concern is I am not sure if it’s coming off the autochoke or not which would fuck up the emissions. It has been in the past but today it still seemed high after a few minutes. Imagination or paranoia perhaps?

Good luck with your MOT! I’m sure it’ll be fine.

Btw, I found 4 new grill screws and the little plastic clip things they thread into spare from mine. They’re new leftovers I didn’t use, for some reason the pack I bought seemed to have loads in!? Your welcome to them if you want them.

1 hour ago, danthecapriman said:

Good luck with your MOT! I’m sure it’ll be fine.

Btw, I found 4 new grill screws and the little plastic clip things they thread into spare from mine. They’re new leftovers I didn’t use, for some reason the pack I bought seemed to have loads in!? Your welcome to them if you want them.

Thanks mate, I bought a few as needed some other bits but thanks for the offer. The Volvo is in for its MoT this afternoon so that will determine when the Capri goes for its MoT, could even be this week!

1 minute ago, danthecapriman said:

Fingers crossed!🤞

How long has it been since it was driven anywhere?

5 years! I will take a roundabout route to get to the testing station to properly warm it up. I have only driven it a mile and it was in lethal state at that point with dodgy brakes, suspension bushes knackered and running on 3 cylinders.

On 6/22/2020 at 8:40 AM, Tamworthbay said:

I have just had a look and there seem to be two distinct types, but they don’t seem to be age specific. The problem, as you say, is knowing what is original and what is aftermarket. I can find pics of both Mk2s and Mk3s with both types so I guess it doesn’t really matter too much.

E8231D46-E327-4AA9-80F8-C87D5559140A.thumb.png.f5b5f9ee3a74f5cdfc47324db4ea88bd.png8A2CE49C-8BD8-429E-99EC-00BF224DC2F9.thumb.png.25341cb8f1703adafd4e103a33f7e8c9.png

I am.pretty certain they stopped painting black sections of the wheels in 1981

And forgot that I also tracked down a dodgy earth that was causing the lights to vary in intensity and go out occasionally. I was fiddling about with the headlamp adjusters when I saw a spark from a crimped connector on the bonnet stay mount. Tightened it up and Bob’s your Aunties live in lover. That could have been a ballache to trace.

2 hours ago, Tamworthbay said:

IMG_20200801_122342.thumb.jpg.dde918b5927d4b816cbd3a2167b7dc6f.jpg

All done! Lined up the headlights as best I can, checked the steering angles, fitted the new HT leads, put the last few trim screws in and gave it a clean down. Still stuff to do bit it’s ready for the MoT on Tuesday.

That looks absolutely gorgeous! Lovely colour.

Just now, danthecapriman said:

That looks absolutely gorgeous! Lovely colour.

Thanks mate, it’s not 10% of the standard yours is but will do for now. Total cost of respray was £127 when I totalled it all up and about a gazillion hours.......... I did have a load of the sanding stuff though so that would have cost a few quid.

You’ve done a bloody good job of it by the looks of it. It’s hard enough painting a single panel at home with cans, let alone the amount you’ve done.

I think the last panel I did was a mk2 Granada bonnet, looked ok afterwards but it’s hard to do. The paint doesn’t stay wet enough for long enough and the coverage can be patchy. Did the job though!

40 minutes ago, danthecapriman said:

You’ve done a bloody good job of it by the looks of it. It’s hard enough painting a single panel at home with cans, let alone the amount you’ve done.

I think the last panel I did was a mk2 Granada bonnet, looked ok afterwards but it’s hard to do. The paint doesn’t stay wet enough for long enough and the coverage can be patchy. Did the job though!

It’s ok at ten foot, less good close up. I still need to cut it back and polish it but desperate to get it on the road so that can wait.

On 8/2/2020 at 8:18 PM, Tamworthbay said:

And I forgot one great addition I was unaware of. Cleaning the car revealed a nice cock drawn on the passenger rear window by a previous occupant. Sadly I couldn’t catch this piece of ‘artwork’ on my camera.

Partridge owned your Capri...? 😉

GLWTMOT, Clive!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By phil_lihp
      Morning chaps, long time no see.
      I've not had much in the way of shite to share on this forum of late but I have now gone some way to redeeming myself with this glorious old heap, an eBay purchase which I won last night.  Fortunately the seller seems decent and isn't in any rush for it to leave so there won't be much happening for a  few weeks until collection can be arranged, leaves me plenty of time to clear the decks in preparation.
      The essential stats are that it's a 1977 Princess 1.8, I think it's a base model and a Series 1 given it's not got a 1.7/2.0 O-series engine which I would have preferred.  Not sure how rubbish the B-Series is in this thing but I guess we'll see.  It's got an MOT and has been woken from many years of slumber fairly recently, I think it was on eBay last year prior to the current owner obtaining it but I don't have any details.  I think it's a base model and lacks power steering or indeed any equipment to speak of.  It's apparently very solid and has been undersealed, there's some rot above the bootlid and in the doors and the bonnet looks awful but is mostly surface corrosion I think.  It'll be getting a proper going over once I get my hands on it, a full service and brake refurb is likely the first port of call, plus finding someone local who can pump up the hydragas.
      My sole experience of these is driving Philibusmo's utterly ruined example (OKK if anyone remembers the ex-Vulgalour one) a few years back and I was so impressed at how well it drove considering the state it was in, I've wanted one for years so this is a slightly weird dream come true.
      Feel free to chip in with anecdotes, advice and mockery.  More details will probably surface in a few weeks once it lands.  It has MOT but it's on ancient tyres and has electrical issues (I know, who'd have thought?) meaning the lights and cooling fan don't work.  Given that it's in Kent and I'm in Devon, I am probably going to take the easy way out and Shiply it home.  Plenty of time yet to make some arrangements for that.
      Watch this space.

• By Zelandeth
      Well I've been meaning to sign up here in forever, but kept forgetting. Thanks to someone over on another forum I frequent poking me about it recently the subject was forced back into my very brief attention span for long enough to get me to act on the instruction.

I figure that my little varied fleet might bring you lot some amusement...

So...we've got:

1993 Lada Riva 1.5E Estate (now fuel injected, as I reckon the later cars should have been from the factory...).
      1989 Saab 900i Automatic.
      1987 Skoda 120LX 21st Anniversary Special Edition.
      1985 Sinclair C5.
      2009 Peugeot 107 Verve.

Now getting the photos together has taken me far longer than I'd expected...so you're gonna get a couple of photos of each car for now, and I'll come back with some more information tomorrow when I've got a bit more time...

Firstly...The Lada. Before anyone asks - in response to the single question I get asked about this car: No, it is not for sale. Took me 13 years and my father's inheritance to find the thing.

Yes, it's got the usual rusty wings...Hoping that will be resolved in the next couple of months.

Next, a proper old Saab. One of the very last 8 valve cars apparently, and all the better for it. I've driven two 16v autos and they were horrible - the auto box works sooooo much better with the torque curve of the 8 valve engine. Just wish it had an overdrive for motorway cruising...

Next up a *real* Skoda...back when they put the engine where it belongs, right out the back. In the best possible colour of course...eye-searingly bright orange.

Seat covers have been added since that photo was taken as it suffers from the usual rotting seat cloth problem that affects virtually all Estelles.

Then we have possibly the world's scruffiest Sinclair C5...

Realised when looking for this that I really need to get some more photos of the thing...I use it often enough after all! We have a dog who's half husky, so this is a really good way of getting him some exercise.

Finally - again, I really need to take more photos of - we have the little Pug 107.

Included for the sake of variety even if it's a bit mainstream! First (and probably to be the only) new car I've bought, and has been a cracking little motor and has asked for very little in return for putting up with nearly three years of Oxford-Milton Keynes commuter traffic, before finally escaping that fate when my housemate moved to a new job. Now it doesn't do many miles and is my default car for "when I've managed to break everything else."

I'll fill in some more details tomorrow - I warn you though that I do tend to ramble...
    • By vulgalour
      As tradition dictates, an thread.

It all kicked off here: http://autoshite.com/topic/34152-citroen-bx-17rd-for-sale-sale-on-hold-as-its-done-a-citroen-the-little-bastard/

Lorry is booked for collection tomorrow and a 340ish mile round trip awaits.  It will be a long, but rewarding, day.  No live collection updates because I live in the olden times and even if I didn't, I'm not sure I could be entirely arsed.

I am looking forward to meeting Dean-numbers, his collection of wobbly French cars and, of course, Bleriot the BX.  It will probably be too dark to do anything when we get back on Friday so I suspect Saturday I'll be up bright and early to get stuck in and see just what I've let myself in for.
    • By scdan4
      That bit hiding up behind the air filter and infront of the turret

made a prolonged, loud, farty vibratey noise (loud enough to be clearly audible in the cabin with the radio on) twice today, both times it did it the nose was pointing down a steep hill and we had just parked and turned off the engine.

It goes on for best part of a minute, so managed to track it down. Initial impressions are fuck knows what it is but it's clearly been bodged in the past. The yellow hose has clearly been disconnected sometime, by someone, for some reason, somewhere.

Thats the blighter.

Does someone want to tell me why it's blowing raspberries at me?