The about bloody time Capri resto thread - resto done! We are on the road!

Tamworthbay

1 hour ago, danthecapriman said:

Good luck with your MOT! I’m sure it’ll be fine.

Btw, I found 4 new grill screws and the little plastic clip things they thread into spare from mine. They’re new leftovers I didn’t use, for some reason the pack I bought seemed to have loads in!? Your welcome to them if you want them.

Thanks mate, I bought a few as needed some other bits but thanks for the offer. The Volvo is in for its MoT this afternoon so that will determine when the Capri goes for its MoT, could even be this week!

1 minute ago, danthecapriman said:

Fingers crossed!?

How long has it been since it was driven anywhere?

5 years! I will take a roundabout route to get to the testing station to properly warm it up. I have only driven it a mile and it was in lethal state at that point with dodgy brakes, suspension bushes knackered and running on 3 cylinders.

On 6/22/2020 at 8:40 AM, Tamworthbay said:

I have just had a look and there seem to be two distinct types, but they don’t seem to be age specific. The problem, as you say, is knowing what is original and what is aftermarket. I can find pics of both Mk2s and Mk3s with both types so I guess it doesn’t really matter too much.

E8231D46-E327-4AA9-80F8-C87D5559140A.thumb.png.f5b5f9ee3a74f5cdfc47324db4ea88bd.png8A2CE49C-8BD8-429E-99EC-00BF224DC2F9.thumb.png.25341cb8f1703adafd4e103a33f7e8c9.png

I am.pretty certain they stopped painting black sections of the wheels in 1981

And forgot that I also tracked down a dodgy earth that was causing the lights to vary in intensity and go out occasionally. I was fiddling about with the headlamp adjusters when I saw a spark from a crimped connector on the bonnet stay mount. Tightened it up and Bob’s your Aunties live in lover. That could have been a ballache to trace.

2 hours ago, Tamworthbay said:

IMG_20200801_122342.thumb.jpg.dde918b5927d4b816cbd3a2167b7dc6f.jpg

All done! Lined up the headlights as best I can, checked the steering angles, fitted the new HT leads, put the last few trim screws in and gave it a clean down. Still stuff to do bit it’s ready for the MoT on Tuesday.

That looks absolutely gorgeous! Lovely colour.

Just now, danthecapriman said:

That looks absolutely gorgeous! Lovely colour.

Thanks mate, it’s not 10% of the standard yours is but will do for now. Total cost of respray was £127 when I totalled it all up and about a gazillion hours.......... I did have a load of the sanding stuff though so that would have cost a few quid.

You’ve done a bloody good job of it by the looks of it. It’s hard enough painting a single panel at home with cans, let alone the amount you’ve done.

I think the last panel I did was a mk2 Granada bonnet, looked ok afterwards but it’s hard to do. The paint doesn’t stay wet enough for long enough and the coverage can be patchy. Did the job though!

40 minutes ago, danthecapriman said:

You’ve done a bloody good job of it by the looks of it. It’s hard enough painting a single panel at home with cans, let alone the amount you’ve done.

I think the last panel I did was a mk2 Granada bonnet, looked ok afterwards but it’s hard to do. The paint doesn’t stay wet enough for long enough and the coverage can be patchy. Did the job though!

It’s ok at ten foot, less good close up. I still need to cut it back and polish it but desperate to get it on the road so that can wait.

On 8/2/2020 at 8:18 PM, Tamworthbay said:

And I forgot one great addition I was unaware of. Cleaning the car revealed a nice cock drawn on the passenger rear window by a previous occupant. Sadly I couldn’t catch this piece of ‘artwork’ on my camera.

Partridge owned your Capri...? ?

GLWTMOT, Clive!

11 minutes ago, chaseracer said:

Manual choke conversion?

One of the first jobs I did on mine, pretty much as soon as I bought it; had the VV(?) carb on it, swapped for a Weber with manual choke - 38DGAS rings a bell, but I may be thinking of bro's Sapphire racecar.