The about bloody time Capri resto thread - resto done! We are on the road!

Tamworthbay

There’s every chance of course that my old nuts aren’t original Ford ones. They might be generic replacement ones put on donkeys years ago. I’ve no idea tbh! Unless they are original ones but just look a bit funny because of the age of them. Most of the bits on mine are from the mk1 parts bin! Typical ford, use up the last bits of the old model on the new model!

13 minutes ago, danthecapriman said:

There’s every chance of course that my old nuts aren’t original Ford ones. They might be generic replacement ones put on donkeys years ago. I’ve no idea tbh! Unless they are original ones but just look a bit funny because of the age of them. Most of the bits on mine are from the mk1 parts bin! Typical ford, use up the last bits of the old model on the new model!

I have just had a look and there seem to be two distinct types, but they don’t seem to be age specific. The problem, as you say, is knowing what is original and what is aftermarket. I can find pics of both Mk2s and Mk3s with both types so I guess it doesn’t really matter too much.

E8231D46-E327-4AA9-80F8-C87D5559140A.thumb.png.f5b5f9ee3a74f5cdfc47324db4ea88bd.png8A2CE49C-8BD8-429E-99EC-00BF224DC2F9.thumb.png.25341cb8f1703adafd4e103a33f7e8c9.png

5 minutes ago, N19 said:

Re the bolts for the grille, I have used a few from my random box of bolts that's lying around in the garage. I think they are M6 x 16mm or thereabouts. 

Thanks, I have some M6s knocking about so will give them a try.

3 minutes ago, danthecapriman said:

I’ll have a look, might have to be Tuesday though as I’m working late tomorrow. I think I’ve got some good ones left over, don’t think I’ve got ten though!

Thanks, even a few would be good. I have some M6s but they are cap head I think but would ok for the ones you can’t see with the bonnet down.

IMG_20200627_103346.thumb.jpg.5de96d92ce8ae91e695036da41b82902.jpgIMG_20200627_104832.thumb.jpg.ddc864e4c461694f768aa174268c0160.jpgIMG_20200627_105409.thumb.jpg.fe7783f03d44b3362d0be8d36115099c.jpgIMG_20200627_112716.thumb.jpg.1da5e2589578669d62bbaa687b3bbff7.jpg

With the bloody monsoon season in full swing any work on paint is out of the window. So instead of doing nothing I looked at the few small inside jobs I could still do. I needed a full set of bumper to bumper corner brackets. Why Ford made it so complicated is beyond me but there you go. Wanted ads had failed to pull any out of the woodwork and the cost of £110 for a set of repros from Tickover was strangely unappealing.

About ten years ago a friend had a Contract to clear out the stores of an old army firing range. One of the things he found were a load of old targets (see pic 1). They are about 1.8mm thick aluminium and I had a couple off him and have used them on a few projects. Sadly I couldn’t use the guillotine at work so all done with my old pair of Gilson tin snips. I had offered my old bender to Chaseracer as I didn’t think I would need it any more, thankfully he didn’t take me up on the offer. Just goes to show you never know when you will need tools. I pop riveted the corners for extra strength - not sure that was needed as they are only holding a light bit of plastic on. They are a dead simple shape with the rears being slightly bigger than the fronts. I may even fork out on some etch primer and paint them properly. Total cost so far - £0, time spent - about an hour.

Not what I hoped to do today but a good result all the same.

IMG_20200705_130026.thumb.jpg.1460fde4878c1ebf5bcde61e0a99a4fa.jpg

With fixings-
IMG_20200705_123633.thumb.jpg.834fc235269aa443e44727abee45081b.jpg

Without fixings-

IMG_20200705_123624.thumb.jpg.7fb7556399d426d4adefe51e09186561.jpgIMG_20200705_111836.thumb.jpg.e5ea1a4d402f5a55e8a4b29920e82f8f.jpg
First decent weather on a weekend in ages so crack on time. I sanded back the passenger door and did a few bits on there, then fitted up the front wings. They are mostly welded but have a couple of bolts on the front edge for some reason so I applied some sealant and bolted them up which was a right fiddly job. Then I adjusted the front bumper and fitted the number plate. Set the tracking (no pics of the gizmo in action, should have). Then fitted the drivers side mirror and door card. All going so well until I realised the door handles I have are different to the door cards I have. Shit. So I need to trawl eBay and find a pair of the new type. Pleased to have sorted lots of little jobs.

IMG_20200709_134419.thumb.jpg.3a3c8064d724631638cc2997825bb007.jpg

IMG_20200709_135226.thumb.jpg.6ce5ca1a6bb37f83b752f72720b02f0e.jpgIMG_20200709_140307.thumb.jpg.130a4a1c0e389e82f15486a9dafb0465.jpg
Weather is still not playing ball so relegated to small jobs during my lunch hour. The bumper corner brackets worked well and it looks better with the two end caps on. I can’t get to the other side to do those unfortunately. I also riveted the clips on for the door top trim and fitted that. Sadly the rubber weather seal disintegrated as I tried to refit it which was a shame as I have just ordered from the place that sells them so will have to stump up another postage fee. It’s getting close though! Forecast is good for the weekend so might be able to get the passenger door done.

I tried to fit the nice brand new HT leads I have. Unfortunately the leads are just too far into the rubber caps and as soon as you put them on they pop off again. Tried all sorts to shift them with no luck. I have some hellerine oil in the shed so will try that later. Normally a quick wriggle does the trick.

The front looks high due to it being jacked up somI could change the front wheel. So jobs done today:

swap front wheel

tighten up track rod ends and fix gaiters 

spray passenger door

fix door handle/ arm rest to inside of drivers door - failed as screws are different(longer) on the new arm rest so need to source some 

fix front lower grills

fit passenger side bumper corners
fix fuel gauge - broken wire so ‘think’ it’s sorted but so little fuel it’s not registering 

Jobs to do:

put passenger side door furniture back on

fix drivers side arm rest
fit new ignition leads

Get MoT!

Drive :-]

I have added up all the costs and have gone slightly over budget. I had hoped to get it all done for £1200, present spend is £1100 but by the time the steel wheels are done that will take it to about £1290 (£100 for powder coating, £40 to swap tyres over, £50 for spare tyre). I know it’s not the best Capri out there but I doubt there are many that have come in at that budget. Dropping on a job lot of spares for £60 that had been mis-spelt on eBay was the key, I think could add £300 to the total if not for that. I have kept a rough record of time and think there is about 400 hours work gone in.

1 hour ago, Tickman said:

Have you booked the MOT yet?

It is coming along well, nice that it is nearly done.

Unfortunately I have a crazy fortnight at work coming up so probably won’t touch it during that But am off after that. A couple of hours more would have it MoT ready so will do that and book it in at my local friendly MoT man. So possibly two weeks Tuesday or Wednesday could be on the road!

• 3 weeks later...

No pics as a pita morning. The internal door handles/ arm rests proved to be an utter ballache, mostly down to having a slightly different type of clip to the original. Then the lights started playing up (Volvo blew a bulb today as well, odd). Got that sorted, sorted the fuel gauge. So everything ready now for the MoT. Only slight concern is I am not sure if it’s coming off the autochoke or not which would fuck up the emissions. It has been in the past but today it still seemed high after a few minutes. Imagination or paranoia perhaps?