The about bloody time Capri resto thread - resto done! We are on the road!

Tamworthbay

More progress this morning, mostly paint related so not much to show (perfecting the passenger wing and last coat of primer). Also sorted the passenger side check strap. I couldn’t find the bolts so decided to just fiddle about and work out what I needed. Turned out the check strap I was going to fit is a spare and there was already one in the door. That would explain the lack of bolts. Then fitted the glovebox and some trim panels. 

IMG_20200509_121609.thumb.jpg.d5164b78ac80a4be244e53cf17c77662.jpg

Paint has been despatched so just need some decent weekend weather now. Quick question for any Capri owners - do the bumper corners need one or two of the plastic clips that fit in the wings/ rear quarters? I have 5 of the clips (4 are new), bumper corners are tucked in the shed so can’t easily check but looking at getting a few bits so will look for them if needed. They were not on when I got it and sure they only used one but there are two holes......

2 hours ago, Tamworthbay said:

Paint has been despatched so just need some decent weekend weather now. Quick question for any Capri owners - do the bumper corners need one or two of the plastic clips that fit in the wings/ rear quarters? I have 5 of the clips (4 are new), bumper corners are tucked in the shed so can’t easily check but looking at getting a few bits so will look for them if needed. They were not on when I got it and sure they only used one but there are two holes......

The slide-on ones? 2 per side.

And thanks to Jawel paints for their standard superb level of service I now have colour in rattle cans. If the weather is ok I plan to get the passenger side wing done this weekend- it will be the first time I have ever seen even one side of the car all the same colour!

It is a very rare colour, as far as I can find it’s one of two left. I have taken a few pics and that wing seems really bright in the pics compared to real life, no idea why.

I also spent some time fitting some more of the interior and have tracked down the lack of oil warning light to a faulty sender and dodgy wire. Wire has been sorted and I will get a sender once I get a chance.
IMG_20200516_122247.thumb.jpg.11e31418c778ec9e9f46a9920b0a0913.jpg

1 minute ago, DeeJay said:

I think Mr Bollox used an electric spray gun on his (if I remember correctly) Landcrab. 

Bought one and it was utterly shite, it looked more like a Jackson Pollock. The  finish is ok but needs cutting back once it has hardened off in a couple of weeks.

29 minutes ago, Tamworthbay said:

Bought one and it was utterly shite, it looked more like a Jackson Pollock. The  finish is ok but needs cutting back once it has hardened off in a couple of weeks.

I bought an apollo electric spray gun a few years ago and also found it to be useless.

The Capri looks great, Imperial Red is a stunning colour, you are doing a great job.

1 hour ago, Shite Ron said:

I bought an apollo electric spray gun a few years ago and also found it to be useless.

The Capri looks great, Imperial Red is a stunning colour, you are doing a great job.

Thanks, the Apollo was appalling, how Practical classics gave it such good reviews makes me wonder if backhanders were involved. It’s a great colour and the wing will settle down after a couple of weeks and with a polish back on the other bits. I spent this afternoon cleaning some interior bits up ready to go back in. Another couple of hours on the inside and it will be done I think.

Just now, danthecapriman said:

I wonder why Imperial Red wasn’t so common? It’s got to be one of the nicest shades on the Ford colour palette! There used to be a mk2 Granada Ghia x saloon round here in that colour, it looked absolutely gorgeous.

Don’t know, it was around in the early 80s and was the only metallic red at the time. The colour swatch on the brochure makes it look more brown than it is so maybe that was the problem. There was also Celtic bronze which I can’t ever remember seeing a Capri in .

Might sound like a stupid question but did you have the paint thinned down enough when trying the electric spray gun?

Also, was there adjustments in the gun for fluid control? I used an earlex electric spray gun years ago to paint 2 cars and it was brilliant!

Cars coming in nicely

Ben

Just now, Ben_O said:

Might sound like a stupid question about did you have the paint thinned down enough when trying the electric spray gun?

Also, was there adjustments in the gun for fluid control? I used an earlex electric spray gun years ago to paint 2 cars and it was brilliant!

Cars coming in nicely

Ben

I tried a few mixes, first I did it to their spec (you time how long it takes to go through a cup they supply). That came out like one of these things they use to spray render on a house. I then messed about with ratios as I have some mixing cups so could be reasonably accurate. No adjustment on the gun beyond more or less paint. It was cheap, and someone with your experience could probably master it and get a reasonable finish but it wasn’t getting close for me. 
How is Carlos these days?

Just now, Tamworthbay said:

I tried a few mixes, first I did it to their spec (you time how long it takes to go through a cup they supply). That came out like one of these things they use to spray render on a house. I then messed about with ratios as I have some mixing cups so could be reasonably accurate. No adjustment on the gun beyond more or less paint. It was cheap, and someone with your experience could probably master it and get a reasonable finish but it wasn’t getting close for me. 
How is Carlos these days?

Fair enough. I thought it was worth a mention incase it was somethibg as simple as that. If it wont spray material that is the correct viscosity that they specify then it sounds hopeless.

Still at least the rattle cans have done the trick.

I've not heard from Carlos for a while now. He has gone quiet however i had been chatring via whatsapp until recently. I think he's got a lot on his plate.

5 minutes ago, Ben_O said:

Fair enough. I thought it was worth a mention incase it was somethibg as simple as that. If it wont spray material that is the correct viscosity that they specify then it sounds hopeless.

Still at least the rattle cans have done the trick.

I've not heard from Carlos for a while now. He has gone quiet however i had been chatring via whatsapp until recently. I think he's got a lot on his plate.

It’s not perfect by a long shot but just got to the point I need It on the road. My mate who was going to do it has been ‘busy’ for the last two years so I have sort of sat on it (strangely he wasn’t busy when I was doing the stuff for him but there you go). As long as it is protected I can use it then sort it better at a later date. Shame you aren’t more local or I would happily pay you to do it! Did the purple one ever get on the road by the way?

20 hours ago, Tamworthbay said:

It’s not perfect by a long shot but just got to the point I need It on the road. My mate who was going to do it has been ‘busy’ for the last two years so I have sort of sat on it (strangely he wasn’t busy when I was doing the stuff for him but there you go). As long as it is protected I can use it then sort it better at a later date. Shame you aren’t more local or I would happily pay you to do it! Did the purple one ever get on the road by the way?

I think he is pretty close but he has had so much custom stuff done like wiring etc that it's really slowed things down

21 minutes ago, Ben_O said:

I think he is pretty close but he has had so much custom stuff done like wiring etc that it's really slowed things down

That is always the problem, it just adds up. Would be good to catch up, I haven’t spoken to him in ages.

The wind has removed any chance of spraying today so other jobs on the cards. Rear bumper not as nice as the front but nothing major. I was tempted to remove the old repair and let a piece in but I think it's part of its character so I have decided to leave it. IMG_20200523_114957.thumb.jpg.112386e95a0fb7d7115ad267744b88f4.jpgIMG_20200523_115020.thumb.jpg.82b7517e8e3241139acf8b8a3bf820ee.jpg

Busy morning. Weather still not good enough for painting so a few other jobs done. First up was to check the steering, I had a lightbulb moment a few days ago after noticing the one track rod was close to the end of its adjustment. I hadn’t checked the steering was centred after fitting a new rack. A few minutes of adjustment and it’s much better. I just need to try out my laser alignment kit and see if I can get it close to right.

Then on to the interior and finished off refitting the dash. That looks very nice if I say so myself! Just need to find some radio knobs from somewhere.

Then refitted one front light, for fun mostly. Had a slightly scary moment when one of the light caps was missing but realised I had left it on the old light unit which I still have.

And finally I took off the rubber strip from the passenger door. I had forgot how they fitted so now need to look at sorting the passenger door as I don’t plan on refitting them.

And also sorted the bits I need to clean up and got the bumper ready for phase 2.

A very enjoyable morning!

IMG_20200524_112810.thumb.jpg.14979828f0e15bd284dfdda11b19e038.jpgIMG_20200524_122102.thumb.jpg.5c2075b385dc5aa45685f9eec06134ff.jpgIMG_20200524_122407.thumb.jpg.8d298902a5cfce1b31617f41874a16c1.jpg

Never a Crapi licker, being into my IMPs (just passed the MOT!)

35833181435_5ae7aa1f80.jpg

Crappi was 'ball n'chain' mk1s... Bought by Dad ?

I did screw a rubber lip spoiler on it but nothing else...

.... not the fondest remembered years of my life  *IMPs  R  GR9 tho ;)

23 minutes ago, tooSavvy said:

Never a Crapi licker, being into my IMPs (just passed the MOT!)

35833181435_5ae7aa1f80.jpg

Crappi was 'ball n'chain' mk1s... Bought by Dad ?

I did screw a rubber lip spoiler on it but nothing else...

.... not the fondest remembered years of my life  *IMPs  R  GR9 tho ;)

Always fancied an Imp but one has never turned up at the right time and the right price.

The Capri looks to be Solar Gold, a strangely common colour even now.