The about bloody time Capri resto thread - resto done! We are on the road!

Tamworthbay

11 minutes ago, outlaw118 said:

One of the first jobs I did on mine, pretty much as soon as I bought it; had the VV(?) carb on it, swapped for a Weber with manual choke - 38DGAS rings a bell, but I may be thinking of bro's Sapphire racecar. 

I have a Weber at work but would rather stick with the original if I can.

42 minutes ago, danthecapriman said:

Bit of a bummer. Hopefully it should be reasonably easy to sort though.

It was but after five years off the road I can’t be too unhappy. Idle is sorted already. I will do the rear brake tomorrow then it just needs a brake pipe and all sorted.

I’m surprised you’ve still got a VV on it tbh, most got taken off years ago and had a Weber upgrade carb or the Weber single barrel direct replacement kits installed. I remember doing them on Sierra’s and Transits mainly when I was in the garage!

I actually did one of the direct replacement kits on my mk2 Transit a couple of years ago as the VV was playing up.

Good you got it sorted though!

Just now, danthecapriman said:

I’m surprised you’ve still got a VV on it tbh, most got taken off years ago and had a Weber upgrade carb or the Weber single barrel direct replacement kits installed. I remember doing them on Sierra’s and Transits mainly when I was in the garage!

I actually did one of the direct replacement kits on my mk2 Transit a couple of years ago as the VV was playing up.

Good you got it sorted though!

It was owned by an old guy for years so I guess he just used it as was. It had no modifications at all when I got it apart from the Laser alloys the young lad who had it for a year had put on.

IMG_20200805_093952.thumb.jpg.5ccb79d94b8a41166461856ace66570e.jpg
A morning well spent. All the issues are sorted so just a matter of a retest now. The rear brakes were interesting. You have to get your head around how the whole auto adjuster thing works and then it’s straightforward enough. The cable adjuster is handily tucked halfway along the transmission tunnel with the prop blocking the way. Other than that hassle it was all ok. Everything took about 2.5 hrs, at least half of which was talking to passers by and neighbours as I had to do it on the road as my drive is sloped.

39 minutes ago, chaseracer said:

Had to be done...

image.png

All done now, it was just a brake pipe, adjusting the handbrake and cleaning the autochoke mechanism out. Shame I can’t get it in before Tuesday but the place I go are brilliant so happy to wait. 
Have you tried the paint sprayer yet by the way?

1 minute ago, Shite Ron said:

Congratulations and well done, a beautiful car in a great colour. You can enjoy driving it at last which makes all the hard work worthwhile ?

Thanks mate, there were points where you wonder what you have you got yourself into. And it’s still far from perfect, but for not of a lot of money it’s a 100% rust free mechanically sound car. First drive went very well. Temperature remained stable, it felt great on the road, tracking spot on. I think the synchro on 3rd is a little tired but still ok for the moment. Starts well from hot or cold. But I have put my back out when I dropped the keys at the end! Sod’s law.....

My daughter is not convinced it’s ‘sporty’, I pointed out that it must be sporty as it has half a V8 in it, that worked for the three seconds it took her to work it out. Apparently Pinto sounds like a small engine - if she had ever tried to move the boat anchor herself she would know how wrong she is!

1 hour ago, danthecapriman said:

Well done mate! Great news, and great to see it on the road in use now too. 

I need to get my finger out and finish mine, I feel I’m missing out!

Yours is pretty close now! This summer do you think?

55 minutes ago, Cavcraft said:

Effing fantastic. Nice work, Clive, hat doffed.

Thanks mate! Looks good from 20yds!