The about bloody time Capri resto thread - resto done! We are on the road!

Tamworthbay

20 minutes ago, Marsh said:

I grew up with Capris due to a favourite uncle buying a new one every few years. Got my first one in 1994, Y reg 2.8 with full Janspeed. Appalling brakes, lethal handling in the rain, old fashioned even then but I absolutely loved the thing as it roared its way along. Still miss it. As said the prices are daft now and I don't think I'd buy another 2.8. Lovely shape though and superbly comfortable driving position looking out along that bonnet.

If you need a hand at any point with it bud let me know.

Dave

Thanks for the offer, how are you with paint? ? It has taken a lot longer than I expected as they always do but hopefully getting close-ish to the end now. I have a Janspeed for mine, it’s the split type that makes a pinto look like a V6, not sure whether to fit it or not.

• 4 weeks later...

Another few hours today and massive progress. Front valance panels for these cost about a kidney so mine was lovingly repaired at both frilly ends and was the single most complex bit of fabrication. I light skim of stopper and sand back and it’s looking ok, a little more work needed but not much. The rear arch was also given a little tickle and is getting close. Then I refitted the carpet and heater box and plumbed that all back in. All in all a very pleasing afternoon. This won’t be of the standard of Dan’s by a long way but will be a useable and solid fun car when it’s done.

IMG_20200415_143642.thumb.jpg.6ca011ea477ceeda782dec5e8e12f7ca.jpg

Looking good so far. I think the Capri club did/do an exhaust kit like that for Pinto cars to look like V6 ones. Fit it and see how it looks? If you’ve already got it why not.

Do you think you’ll have yours on the road this year? Not that it looks like it’s going to matter the way things are at the moment!

22 minutes ago, danthecapriman said:

Looking good so far. I think the Capri club did/do an exhaust kit like that for Pinto cars to look like V6 ones. Fit it and see how it looks? If you’ve already got it why not.

Do you think you’ll have yours on the road this year? Not that it looks like it’s going to matter the way things are at the moment!

I have just been working it out and there isn’t that much to do. I have been hanging around waiting for a mate to do the bodywork but that won’t happen so I am going to finish as best I can and worry about a full respray later down the line I think. At the moment I think about 40-80 hours would see it ready for an MoT so should easily be doable this summer. The main problem at the moment is that I can’t get paint as the local paint place is closed, and until I can paint the doors, I can’t do the insides of them, similar with the headlamp bowls so that will end up being the limiting factor I think. The exhaust is second hand but came from the Capri club I believe, I could be wrong but I think they were made by Janspeed.

I had another go this afternoon and have got the drivers door and front wing in primer. In between light coats I tried to fix the heater box back in, turns out that while I have bagged every single nut and bolt it seems I have managed to lose the ones for the heater. I tried every screw in the house it seemed but to no avail. Luckily they are easily available so will land on my doorstep in a day or two. Until then the interior will remain as is as it’s a lot easier to fart around under there without the dash in the way. 
The next bit will sound mad, but as I have the paint and my paint mate has gone awol, I have decided to try doing the top coat with a roller then mucho flatting back. I have heard you can get decent results if you are careful so I will give a door a try and see how it looks. If anyone has done this and has any tips I would like to hear them. If it looks shit I will flat it back and wait until the local paint shop is open and get some decent rattle cans made up. A full respray is for another year.

7 hours ago, Tamworthbay said:

Just realised that the oil pressure warning light is not illuminating with the ignition on. Hmm, I will have to check that. And remembered I was going to change the cam oil spray bar so will order one ASAP.

Check the lamp but also the tabs on the edge of the red plastic holder can be a little awry.

If you have the clocks out, there are LED equivalent lamps out there which mean you can - shock horror - actually see them at night!! I've got it down to under 5 mins to get the dash out and back in having done it a few times now...

21 minutes ago, Tamworthbay said:

Can’t help unfortunately, but rear window louvres are seriously cool! Short of finding an old one from years ago, could you modify one of those? If it’s fibreglass it shouldn’t be impossible to cut and rebuild the bits you need to with a fibreglass kit? Maybe!

4 minutes ago, danthecapriman said:

Can’t help unfortunately, but rear window louvres are seriously cool! Short of finding an old one from years ago, could you modify one of those? If it’s fibreglass it shouldn’t be impossible to cut and rebuild the bits you need to with a fibreglass kit? Maybe!

You can get the ones from the club that fit with a rear wiper but they are butt ugly (and pointless as water shouldn’t get on the screen if they are fitted). AutoPlas used to do one but no one seems to make it except for the Mk1 which is a much smaller rear screen.

That’s a shame. I wouldn’t have thought it’d be easy to find any old ones that would look better either given their age now, even if you could find one it’d cost you a kidney or something to actually buy it!

I saw one of the old (presumably Autoplas) ones on a mk2 3.0 somewhere and it did look brilliant. Very 70’s.

1 minute ago, danthecapriman said:

That’s a shame. I wouldn’t have thought it’d be easy to find any old ones that would look better either given their age now, even if you could find one it’d cost you a kidney or something to actually buy it!

I saw one of the old (presumably Autoplas) ones on a mk2 3.0 somewhere and it did look brilliant. Very 70’s.

I was hoping someone is making them but I can’t find them. They sit so close to the screen that they make a grown man go weak at the knees, sadly the club ones are just ugly. And you can’t have the side louvred without the rear, just looks silly. I iz Louvre fanbois me.......

9 minutes ago, danthecapriman said:

Fuck me gently!

Sit down before you open the link!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ford-capri-mk2-3-new-autoplas-louvre-flat-version/153897689372?hash=item23d504611c:g:6rwAAOSwmWdelbGK

This is the type I saw on the mk2.

No idea how I have missed that as have Capri Louvre saved on eBay, but I only paid £600 for the car!!!!! To be fair I have spent a hell of a lot more since but even still.......

5 minutes ago, Tamworthbay said:

No idea how I have missed that as have Capri Louvre saved on eBay, but I only paid £600 for the car!!!!! To be fair I have spent a hell of a lot more since but even still.......

I can’t find any others!

You know you want it... you owe yourself... it’ll cheer you up in these dark corona-ish days...

?

8 hours ago, Tamworthbay said:

Just realised that the oil pressure warning light is not illuminating with the ignition on. Hmm, I will have to check that. And remembered I was going to change the cam oil spray bar so will order one ASAP.

Have you got 6 dial clocks? If so they dont have oil pressure lights due to having the pressure gauge, the plastic feed pipe connects to the engine in the standard pinto oil pressure switch location, on the clocks left light is for handbrake/low brake fluid and right is for alternator

10 hours ago, fordperv said:

Have you got 6 dial clocks? If so they dont have oil pressure lights due to having the pressure gauge, the plastic feed pipe connects to the engine in the standard pinto oil pressure switch location, on the clocks left light is for handbrake/low brake fluid and right is for alternator

Sadly mine is peasant spec two clock. I am tempted to convert to six clock (and have all the bits ready) but will stick to standard at mo.

20 hours ago, Tamworthbay said:

Does anyone have any recommendations for a decent bumper paint? It needs to be hard wearing and a sort of enamel/ satin finish if you know what I mean. I tried cheap rattle cans and it hasn’t lasted so I need to redo them,

That sounds like what POR-15 Top Coat is for. Chassis black should be the right finish.

I have a tin but haven’t used it yet, so I’m not speaking from personal experience, but it was recommended to me (I forget who by).

https://www.frost.co.uk/por15-chassis-coat-black-aerosol-spray-368g

3 minutes ago, Skizzer said:

That sounds like what POR-15 Top Coat is for. Chassis black should be the right finish.

I have a tin but haven’t used it yet, so I’m not speaking from personal experience, but it was recommended to me (I forget who by).

https://www.frost.co.uk/por15-chassis-coat-black-aerosol-spray-368g

That looks perfect, thanks!

Sorry Mr T Bay I didn't know you'd replied to my post a month ago ?. I wouldn't describe myself as a paint sprayer so no help to you, and none would get on your car from 2 metres away anyway.

You can roller cars, I've watched it done. Progressive wet and dry and a machine polish.

Try a panel as you say. I get my spray paint from the unit by McDonald's in Wilnecote but they're probably not open. 

Keep at it, get ready for the Middleton Hall car show later in the year. We hope.

1 minute ago, Marsh said:

Sorry Mr T Bay I didn't know you'd replied to my post a month ago ?. I wouldn't describe myself as a paint sprayer so no help to you, and none would get on your car from 2 metres away anyway.

You can roller cars, I've watched it done. Progressive wet and dry and a machine polish.

Try a panel as you say. I get my spray paint from the unit by McDonald's in Wilnecote but they're probably not open. 

Keep at it, get ready for the Middleton Hall car show later in the year. We hope.

Jawel are brilliant, the guy in there knows me well now! Just waiting for some primer to come as it needs more and then some decent weather. I am not expecting a perfect finish but just got to the point I want to be driving it not painting it. I am at that excited ‘it’s nearly finished’ point where I miraculously find time I didn’t think I had.

2 hours ago, The Mighty Quinn said:

What paint are you using? It's just that if you're going respray it later on, you could do without the arseache of having to bare metal the car because the paint won't take a regular 2-pack on top.

Tbh, I'd save/polish as much of the original paint as possible and do the sides etc with a custom made rattle can or four. Might cost you 100 quid but it's a regular cellulose or single pack acrylic. Once on, you can give it a quick breath of 2000 grit and T Cut it to a half decent finish. That colour looks very forgiving as well.

Bumpers: soda blast and powder coat.

I have plenty of celly to do the whole car - just the mate with spray kit who has gone awol, so will use that with a roller and see how it goes. By the time it’s finished about the only area that will be original paint will be the roof. The paint  was professionally matched so is pretty close colour wise. It will do for now. The colour is odd, it’s imperial red which wasn’t popular at the time and I thought mine was the only survivor but there is another but not this spec. It’s even odder being an L as metallic paint as an option would have put it within about a tenner of a GL with free metallic paint and a few other upgrades. The story I was told by previous owner is that it was a dealer demonstrator but no way of proving that either way now.

3 hours ago, Tamworthbay said:

Jawel are brilliant, the guy in there knows me well now! Just waiting for some primer to come as it needs more and then some decent weather. I am not expecting a perfect finish but just got to the point I want to be driving it not painting it. I am at that excited ‘it’s nearly finished’ point where I miraculously find time I didn’t think I had.

Yeah that's the one couldn't think of the name. Quality stuff so much better than Halfords