Mondeo or cmax?

Durham850

Lol might be a roffle for a cmax if the car continues to misbehave, have replaced spark plugs, have replaced HT leads, coil pack looks to be ok, car accelerates fine and when driving the car is very smooth, it just has an intermittent judder on idle, it feels like a misfire to me but I'm sure it could be anything, any ideas would be appreciated although burn it with fire seems to be ranked pretty highly right now lol

If it drives fine then why worry? An idle judder could be a leaky pipe somewhere in the inlet.

My V6 Mondeo developed quite a nasty misfire every time it rained. I'd already done the plugs and the leads were fine, so I ordered a new coil pack for 70 quid even though the old one looked fine. When I got it out and had a closer look at it there was a crack in the casing! If the one for yours is 15 quid I'd be inclined to replace it anyway.

I worry because I am not used to modern shite that can die at any time due to a computer error and I'm not well enough or knowledgeable enough to be crawling around under the bonnet trying to fix it, I found a cracked spark plug earlier so replaced the set, rang a mechanic who suggested HT leads so I have replaced them, I'm going to just bite the bullet and take it to the garage tomorrow, update to follow

I agree with this ^^^

I have had a coil pack break down over a period of time i.e not misfire every time it was driven. It got progressively worse over time where it eventually misfired constantly. Codes rear - misfire on cylinder 3, coil pack replaced....hey presto smooth as you like!

My money is still on a coil pack.

Occasionally they'll split underneath round the resin that holds it together. Don't bother buying the dear Bosch ones, even the cheapies have 2 year guarantee, I've fitted loads and they've been fine. Sometimes a duff lead or plug can corrupt them as well.

If you were closer I've got a few spare coils I've took off stuff I've broke.

So, new spark plugs knocked the EML off, but the car kept spluttering, new coil pack and HT leads made no difference, a redx and an Italian tune up showed the car was rough at top end as well as at idle so grasping at straws took it to the garage where the mechanic suggested a service, which it has now had and now? The splutter has gone and it's a lot smoother at the top end! So up to now, touching wood as I type this, the problem seems like it's been solved!

I had a 1.8 C-Max for a few years, it was pretty crap in terms of the engine performance but had good handling.

Anyway, if it goes into limp mode, get out and lock it up. Go for a walk far enough away and out of radio range of the remote. Return and start and 9/10 times this cured it for me.

I will take note of that for future reference, I'm of the opinion that the electrics in cars of that era are over engineered and the eml is a huge pain in the arse, that is where older cars beat newer cars in my opinion, that and older cars have more character, are more interesting and more fun to own and drive

My money was on a coil pack breaking down but I stand corrected!....i beg your pardon.

So now its been serviced and its cured it....what was the problem before then...the oil had lumps in it!? Doesnt make sense does it!

Would love to know what has actually caused/fixed it by doing the service

having owned a Mondog MK3 estate and a c max diesel. i'd say the mondeo is better day to day..c max has a pug/citroen engine with belt so that knocked a few points off for me...I had the Ghia which had a few toys but generally felt 'cheap' . I upgraded my mondog to leathers etc and it felt a much nicer place to be..

pointless seeing as u brought it, LOL

• 2 weeks later...

So final update on the cmax situation, after servicing the car it was running really well and I started to relax about driving it and then three days later I was driving down the road and boom the dash lit up like blackpool illuminations! EML light, airbag light, handbrake light, ABS light all on together along with a warning for an engine malfunction, took it to an auto electrician who diagnosed an ECU fault, champion I thought, how much to fix? Auto electrician quoted £80 an hour with a minimum of three hours work, which I declined, took it to a mechanic who quoted £70 for the work to replace the ECU and clocks, rang ford who quoted £1560 for a replacement ECU so I paid a visit to the bay of E where I found a set of clocks and ECU for £80 so job ended up being done for £150 all in however by that point I was now sick of the car so after fixing it I have sold it for £570 meaning overall in two weeks I have lost £300 on a car that I have driven 4 times and now I have no car at all! Sometimes you can fail so hard that you end up being a winner!

So final update on the cmax situation, after servicing the car it was running really well and I started to relax about driving it and then three days later I was driving down the road and boom the dash lit up like blackpool illuminations! EML light, airbag light, handbrake light, ABS light all on together along with a warning for an engine malfunction, took it to an auto electrician who diagnosed an ECU fault, champion I thought, how much to fix? Auto electrician quoted £80 an hour with a minimum of three hours work, which I declined, took it to a mechanic who quoted £70 for the work to replace the ECU and clocks, rang ford who quoted £1560 for a replacement ECU so I paid a visit to the bay of E where I found a set of clocks and ECU for £80 so job ended up being done for £150 all in however by that point I was now sick of the car so after fixing it I have sold it for £570 meaning overall in two weeks I have lost £300 on a car that I have driven 4 times and now I have no car at all! Sometimes you can fail so hard that you end up being a winner!