19. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler

20. Skizzer

Skizzer

21. Danterzza

Danterzza

• Similar Content

• By TripleRich
      Hi all, new to the forum.  Thought you might be interested in what I've got myself into
      I'd been after my first classic car for a while.  If it's big and made in the 70s I'm interested.  Looked at few things like P6s, Zodiacs, Victors, SD1s and various other things.  Problem was I didn't want to spend a boatload of money on something that looked alright but underneath was actually a total heap.  The solution was to buy a complete heap in the first place and spend the money fixing it.
      So in January I went ahead and bought this from a colleague at work who was moving away and needed to get shot of it.

It's a part finished restoration (I prefer not started) and it needs a whole load of help if it's going to stand any chance of using a road again.
      Pros
      It's right up my street.  Granada Coupes are quite odd and certainly stand out from the norm.
      It still has the original engine, box, interior and most trim.
      It came with loads of panels I need to repair it (mostly original Ford stock).
      It came with so many spares I could probably build a few Granadas and still have stuff left over.
      It was cheap.
      Cons
      Most of the front end has been cut off.
      Most of the body structure is quite rotten.
      It's going to take me ages.
      I work at a restoration company and my boss kindly allows me to keep the car there.  So I've got access to all the gear I need to restore it.  I've been busy on the car for a while now so will post more pics over the coming days.
      Cheers 
    • By egg
      Caveat - I have not sealed the deal on this. This could easily go pear-shaped and is utter insanity anyway. However there is a MK12 Invacar for £300 here:

http://www.wafrost.co.uk/contact-us/

Could anyone offer transport to me please? This would be to my rented lock-up in Whitstable CT5.

155 miles.

Thanks.

Obviously I would be paying you for this. Preference is to keep in house though given the absurdity!
    • By Gamer9430
      UPDATE 1:

As of post #40, the Monte Carlo SS is up and running! For now the project is on hold until May when I get back from college for the summer. Once I get back, I will be continuing work on getting the car road-worthy once more,. This includes getting new tires, cleaning it, getting historic plates, registering it as such, and switching the insurance from "in-Storage". Exciting times lie ahead in the coming months for this classic 80s car
      UPDATE 2:

As of 27 May, 2020, the Monte Carlo SS has left the driveway for the first time in 14+ years. New tires have been fitted and now all that is left is renewing the registration, updating the insurance, and taking care of a few cosmetic issues, then it'll be all set for normal driving once more.
      Original Post:

Hello fellow shitters,

The time has finally come for me to take a look at my dad's 1987 Monte Carlo SS. He bought it brand new back in 1987 and has kept it with him since then. The car has been sitting idle in our garage since I'd estimate 2004/2005/2006? I know the last time It received daily usage was 2003 and then was driven every so often until around 2006. Since then, it's been left to decay in the garage. I began to give it a bit of attention back in December of last year, and I've simply been to busy to look at it otherwise. All 4 tires had long since gone flat, so I filled them back up. The two driver's side tires are still inflated now over a year later, but the passenger side deflated within 48 hours of me filling them. If I recall correctly, at least one of them had a hole back when it was left dormant, which is likely the reason as to why it was left dormant. So its possible its just the tires, or there's now axel rot from it sitting for so long which is why they deflated so quickly.

Besides the tires, the car is covered in about an inch of dust, so that'll have to be cleaned. The upholstery on the roof of the car has come detached and is currently being held up with thumbtacks, although that happened way back in like 2000, so that's been like that for awhile. The battery is stone dead, so that will need replacement. The rubber seals around the doors might have to be replaced since I'm not sure how they would hold up in the rain. Finally, whatever fluids are left are probably long stale or evaporated, so they'll need to be replaced as well.

As for some cosmetic things, the left brake light cover is cracked and has been since again, around 2000. The center console cover is falling apart and probably could use replacement. The car could also use a few touch-ups on the paint as well. Given these are just cosmetic issues, they're not really major issues that I need to address to get it drivable once again.

I'm planning to work on this on Tuesday during my spring break from college. My grandfather, who has been a mechanic for the past 30+ years, will be helping me to get it running once more, so it should be a pretty easy job. I plan to take pictures and to film its first start in over 10 years once the time comes. Really excited to get this car going again since its a fantastic 80s car, with it's maroon interior and exterior. I think my dad will be pretty excited too since he loves that car.