Shirley Knott's Evil Web Of Shite - Volvo gets a clean sheet MOT, now on to wheel trims, thermostat and brakes revisited

Shirley Knott

Glad it's not just me RE driveway madness, the idea of a Capri shaped outline genuinely made me laugh! I've been getting the leakage immediately with a mixture  washing up liquid and bio washing powder scrubbed in with a stuff brush. If left for a week or two before washing off that seems to lift it.

I'd given some thought to the 850's and also the P1 V70's too which are based on the same platform I think? Nothings ruled out, but I've always loved the look of the P2's and didn't realize how cheap they'd become until looking after selling the 940. Now looks like it's the time to dive in. A manual NA petrol seems to be the best shout in terms of avoiding complexity and expensive bills, they're cheaper/less desirable than the diesel or turbo models and less likely to have taxi mileages too.

No collection thread for this as it was only about 6 miles away.

I've been incredibly daft and bought a V70 for £350 after stumbling across it on Gumtree, the advert had been up for 20 minutes when I spotted it and within an hour it was parked on my drive...

48655192317_77877aa735_k.jpg

48654688338_552c19a49e_k.jpg

48655193402_26e793ad89_k.jpg

48654688748_9143d75f93_k.jpg

The good-  Low mileage at 89K, full leather in good nick, clutch seems healthy, decent tyres all round, cheap.

The bad- Various warnings displayed on the dash about 'position lamps' being out, alarm malfunctions (Battery probably) and service being due. Slightly wobbly/droopy idle when coming off the the throttle (Possible OMGETMF or other sinister goings on)  Bogo spec 2.4 NA manual. Timing belt fine on mileage but 1 year overdue, and that's working on Volvo's probably overly generous 10 year interval. Rear door locks don't open on the central locking.

The ugly- The car has character, and by that I mean pretty much every panel has at least some imperfections be  it small parking type dings or scratches. Needs a good valet. For this kind of money there's almost certainly something seriously wrong that I'm not aware of yet.

The rationale behind buying it (And I really probably shouldn't have) is that I won't worry about it too much as it's not that much more than scrap value, should I decide to cut my losses I can probably look to make at least a good portion of my stake back. Wish me luck!

Right, having finally got round to insuring this and sticking some tax on it today I can now answer the question...

What could possibly go wrong? Well in no particular order....

Warning messages made up of "Engine system service required", "Alarm system service required" and "Position light failure". Back door locks often don't open/close on central locking. Both offside wheels hot after a lengthy drive and smelling of brakes, idle can't seem to settle itself and sits anywhere between 500-800rpm fluctuating regularly, slight misfire occasionally circa 2000rpm. That seems to be about it.

All of that aside, I had the car out running errands today and clocked up 40 miles. In short it holds temperature properly, heaters are red hot, it deals with stop start traffic and also motorway work equally well, other the occasional idle droop it drives really nicely, revs freely and is incredibly smooth and comfortable. Weirdly it doesn't suffer from any of the suspension clunks and knocks I'd taken as a given would be present on a P2 platformed car of this age. All in all I'm fairly pleased with it and frankly amazed at how much car it's possible to buy for such little money. I even gave it a wash...

48666814361_bce6163dbb_k.jpg

It looks pretty certain that I'm going to keep this and slowly work my way through the fault list. At this stage it appears as thought I'm in for a couple of calipers (Assuming a cleanup doesn't work), potentially a contactless adaptation for the bothersome/infamous Magneti Marelli throttle body of woe, and I'd imagine lots of other fun stuff. I'm also probably going to need some Vida Dice software almost certainly lots of patience, wish me luck!

Fortunately one can delete the service reminder because it managed to annoy every V70 owner on earth. This is unless the "service required"  is a polite reminder actually meaning "something is going to break soon!", instead of being the timer driven service reminder that service stations should reset once they've done their stuff.

9 minutes ago, Fumbler said:

Fortunately one can delete the service reminder because it managed to annoy every V70 owner on earth. This is unless the "service required"  is a polite reminder actually meaning "something is going to break soon!", instead of being the timer driven service reminder that service stations should reset once they've done their stuff.

I'm pretty sure it's just the annoying timer one, it could probably do with a decent service to be fair.

Digging a bit further into the ropey Volvo this morning, contrary to what I'm told is the natural order for these things it seems to have originated in Scotland and has made it's way South...

48675909023_9d13b15544_k.jpg

Plates seem to corroborate this...

48676422842_8ce6443e1c_k.jpg

One of the previous owners appears to have bee quite keen on catamaran racing, that would perhaps explain the tow bar fittings? Presumably this was back in it's glory years when it was a £25K motor, how fortunes can change....

48676425437_e7f40ee120_k.jpg

I'm almost certain the *gentleman I bought the car from did not spend his spare time sailing, in fact going by the rear loading area his main hobby seems to have been transporting cement.

Onwards into the engine bay, the timing belt appears to have been changed less than 40k back, so great on mileage but unfortunately 11 years have passed date wise so even going by Volvo's frankly mental 10 year interval it's overdue...

48676252961_c837db16a2_k.jpg

Strut towers are one of the few areas that properly goes rust wise on V70's and appears capable of writing them off, thankfully all looks well here...

48675912688_b37111ac55_k.jpg

48675913043_f62541abbe_k.jpg

Loads of leaf matter and detritus around though with pretty much all of the scuttle drain areas and panel drains looking somewhat bunged up...

48675912168_c7a23a3c08_k.jpg

But nothing that 10 minutes with Henry can't remedy...

48675911923_64b137131f_k.jpg

Air filter changed whilst I was there, genuine Ovlov parts fitted as I'm lucky enough to be able to use a trade account with them, also because only the best will do obvs. The old one (FRAM) had a fairly decent shadow and had very much seen better days ....

48675913293_38b2cfadfe_k.jpg

Plans are to chip away at the car bit by bit, an hour here and an hour there etc so as not to allow it to become all consuming, that will do for one day!

Work on the V70 continues, today was brake day. I always like to strip and service brakes on any new fleet member as they'll spend a good amount of their time with my beloved family and brethren in them, safety first! Also both front and back drivers side brakes were clearly dragging so some TLC was definitely required.

Up she goes....

48689769856_a6232eba63_k.jpg

I was pleased to find matching tyres in pairs front and back when I bought this one, always a good sign IMO. Today my pleasure zone was further tickled when I realised all four of them are pretty much brand new, that surely represents about 75% of what was paid for the car, V70's must be at rock bottom now in terms of value....

48689940787_b7bf0024e1_k.jpg

All four brakes were completely stripped/cleaned/wire brushed and re greased, unfortunately the two calipers on the on the drivers side were stuck as suspected. I'm likely to have to replace these but thought I'd have a go at reviving them before I spaff £60 a piece on replacements.

First step, caliper off and pistons extended slowly but surely using the brake pedal before pulling back the rubber boots, cleaning the pistons thoroughly with emery paper and then soaking in silicone grease...

48689770136_9a28030e33_k.jpg

And then wound back in using a detached bench vice and brute force (I'm not proud of myself)

48689941017_bddaa42c4b_k.jpg

The good news is that after 20 miles of use this afternoon the brakes are no longer binding, frankly I recon it's only a matter of time before they stick again, but you never know right? Always best to try the simple/free stuff before getting the wallet out,

The "chipping away" approach works well on Volvos . They do suffer from unsympathetic owners who mistake "well built and durable" for "no need to bother looking after it", and get into quite a state, this one doesn't look to have gone too far down that road though.

You should get VIDA/DICE though. It's very easy to set off SRS/ABS etc warnings when working on the car and the ability to reset them there and then makes all the difference. It also comes with parts listings for all models back to 1975, so it's very useful for looking parts up to get the OEM number then Googling it to find a cheaper source. 

22 minutes ago, snagglepuss said:

I need to do mine especially as the back drivers handbrake doesn't seem to work at all.

My calipers look like they have been sitting at the bottom of the sea so quite tempted to swap them out for new knowing they are good.

It seems a real Achilles heal on these. Mine is crap but passed the MoT somehow. It only just holds on a gentle drive. I really should strip it and have a proper go, stick some new adjusters on and see if I can get it up to scratch but every one of them seems the same so not sure how good it’s possible to get them.

Weirdly the handbrake on this one works, and what's more works well. My route to work involves a set of traffic lights and a fairly hefty hill start, all of which it manages.

Still probably best to strip the hubs down to check the shoes I recon but that's a job that's firmly on the later-base for now at least.

On 8/19/2019 at 7:26 PM, Shirley Knott said:

48577727632_c01c9c8929_k.jpg

Is that the standard exhaust setup on these? Straight through from the cat to the rear box? That would explain part of why they sound so brilliant (although 3-pots do sound super regardless). My mate had one of these for year until he killed it, it was a brilliant little car!

Right, another hour's tinkering completed on the Volvo this afternoon

First job was PCV testing. Ovlovs operate a set up where-as there's always supposed to be negative air pressure and a vacuum within the engine with waste gasses and pressure being fed back into the combustion chambers. It's is a great idea, the thorn in the side of this system is that the oil separator box and associated pipework often becomes blocked leading to the reverse, ie positive crankcase pressure followed by inevitable blown oil seals and leaking. There are a few ways to test whether the system is working as it should, the most reliable of which is said to be the 'glove test'

Like so...

48694995412_3f86b36e40_k.jpg

Basically, glove is placed over the oil filler and the car is run at idle and at higher revs. If the glove is sucked in then you have negative pressure and vacuum operating properly, this is good. If the glove is blown up like a balloon then there's positive pressure, this is bad and spells time to remove the intake manifold and replace/clean said PCV box and pipework. The good news is that the V70 passed the test with flying colours, in fact the level vacuum was so brutal that the glove came incredibly close to being sucked into the rocker cover and had to be grabbed quickly and held on to in order to avoid disaster.  Naturally this was a happy time.

Next up was to scan the car for codes, I've got a cheap OBD2 reader and having breifly owned an S80 previously I was fairly confident it would speak to the car, true to form it produced codes P0102 and P0113. basically the MAF and the IAT. These are actually both on the same bit on these and it's incredibly simple to remove, literally two screws...

48694828271_b2e16c7336_k.jpg

It was taken out and was treated to a decent clean with 'proper' £10 MAF cleaner (Only the best etc etc)...

48694827916_1891b0ca2d_k.jpg

Codes were then cleared and after a further 15 miles of poodling around in the car haven't returned, also the slightly wobbly idle seems much improved. Early days yet but dare I say it another step closer to making a decent car out of this ropey Swede.

10 hours ago, Minimad5 said:

MM5 approved.

Relief!

The throttle module is/was another potential and likely culprit. It's one of the Magneti Marelli ones fitted from 99-01 that became well known for being unbelievably shite and problematic, IIRC they even made a watchdog episode about them such was their level of crapness. There's a few options available ranging from a rebuild by the likes of BBA-reman right the way through to a contactless adaptation (Kits available on Ebay).

As the car cost so little I'm very much adopting a 'wait and see' approach TBH. A minor wobble occasionally at idle is fairly standard old car stuff IME and certainly not something I'm going to break my heart over, it seems much improved after MAF cleaning but only time will tell....