Shirley Knott's Evil Web Of Shite - Volvo gets a clean sheet MOT, now on to wheel trims, thermostat and brakes revisited

Shirley Knott

Well done on scoring a rev counter at a scrappy. They usually get hoovered up immediately at UPullit from any C1/Aygo/107 that turns up in the yard (no doubt for immediate resale). I think the C1 is the best looking of the triplets and that colour suits it well.

Is the rev counter direct plug and play or does it need any other bits putting in?

EDIT: This makes sense, Andy= Scaryoldcortina..? I've never met him but I believe he's located next door to KB.

Both next door and opposite, because KB has two sites. Something I learned on Friday when I was trying not to get in the way of Andy stripping my 206 for the lion's heart.

http://autoshite.com/topic/30089-l1s-fleet-leaflegacy-toy-found-mgf-thread-elsewhere/page-10?do=findComment&comment=1765660

Well done on scoring a rev counter at a scrappy. They usually get hoovered up immediately at UPullit from any C1/Aygo/107 that turns up in the yard (no doubt for immediate resale). I think the C1 is the best looking of the triplets and that colour suits it well.

Is the rev counter direct plug and play or does it need any other bits putting in?

100% plug and play, the plug's already there but you need the binnacle with the hole in it to fit, other than that no other parts are required.

It probably took circa 5 minutes maximum to 'install'.

Yes, but you also ran home from Scaryoldcortina's, so it's probably fair to say you're not obese!

Yup, if GM's running places or indeed doing any kind of actual exercise then he's without any shadow of a doubt fitter, slimmer and probably also lighter than me. I haven't been at my fighting weight since about 1998.

Meanwhile I've just driven it back from work, they're erm, interesting to drive in windy conditions aren't they...

Right, 4 days and 80 miles deep into the C1 as of yesterday so I decided on the basis of lack of FTP's or any other indicators of it being a complete pup it was time to show it some love.

First up, coolant change. These don't have a belt so unless the waterpump or rad have failed at some stage (Who knows?) then there's a distinct possibility that the antifreeze was original and 12 years old. Bottom radiator hose off...

40409649703_4e6600db87_o.jpg

And then the little bung is removed to drain the block, situated here under the waterpump....

47375187361_0b4059ebfb_o.jpg

All of the old stuff out, didn't look to bad actually...

32433412847_94eee2f7d7_o.jpg

Then topped up and bled off. The internet seems to think these take the pink 5 year stuff, it swallowed about 3.5 litres when all was done....

47322285342_f636677640_o.jpg

Next step, oil and filter change using the Pela...

47322280562_af02b24a34_o.jpg

As is now my custom with a new car, sump plug is then removed after the Pela drain to see what the suction method missed (Yup, I'm really that sad and should probably think about getting out more) In this instance I was amazed... Once the plug was out I couldn't get anything more out of the sump, literally not a single drop. Here can be seen the old sump plug sat in dry the drain tub.....

40409643373_7a142f0857_o.jpg

Needless to say I'll be using the Pela for changes on the C1 from here on in, I'd recommend anyone with a C1/Aygo/107 does the same. 3 litres of fully synthetic 5W30 Shell C3 spec and a Mann filter later all was done...

32433405887_cd2bbac0b8_o.jpg

Final step for the day was to replace the very tired single windscreen wiper with a swish Bosch aero jobbie...

40409642643_a0ce600d8a_o.jpg

Further recommissioning to follow...

Top fettling there Sir! Extra points for using the best oil and filter. I’ve got a Silverline copy of the Pela pump and while it does extract oil, it’s incredibly slow. I guess the Pela actually gets the oil out reasonably quickly?

Get yourself a new number plate!

Yup, the plate needs doing but I'm on it ;)

TBH the Pela takes circa 10-15 minutes to vacuum 3-4 litres of oil out (Hot) so it's not particularly rapid either, it does leave you time to change air filters/inspect brakes or generally stand round drinking tea and scratching your arse while it does it's stuff though which is ok by me.

I looked at the Silverline ones but couldn't work out if the last bit of the tube (The bit that goes into the sump) is metal lined in rubber/plastic (They are on the Pela) or just plain rubber tubing... I'd be interested to know as whilst the Pela has been great I've used it for many many changes now and it's starting to feel a bit baggy, if the Silverline one has the metal end tube then that's what I'll get next!

Thought as much.

The metal lined tube on the Pela gives me the confidence to dip it into boiling hot oil (Best way IMO) without fear of the tube melting/sucking in on itself/folding etc.

The cheaper versions are fine I'm sure, but I shall probably replace the Pela with another Pela in all likelihood and spend the extra £10/20 for peace of mind.

Good work ... Really shows up Pelas are a a quality piece of kit.

Aye, I run this test in any new car to quell doubts about the Pela's suitability for a given sump shape etc. I'd decided to use the brand spanking oil drain tub purely for the excercise and then to tip whatever came out into a plastic kitchen jug to measure what the Pela missed (All scientific like)

To be honest I was slightly worried when not a single drop appeared, but then the car took 3l of oil and capacity is supposed to be 3.1, so the conclusion is that the Pela properly nailed it!

Today has been a day of ups and downs, peaks and troughs, mixed emotions.

It started at the crack of dawn with a 100 mile round trip to Cleveland that saw me return home with a boot full of half leather interior for the 940 having paid £Notverymuch

47405970451_b247afb7fb_o.jpg

This naturally made me feel happy, but it was short lived as not long after I noticed that the drivers side footwell was soaking wet, and wait for it... It's antifreeze.

That made me feel sad as I'm having to do this shit again...

46490659675_eae5ccd248_o.jpg

I'd initially assumed the heater matrix was leaking (Because antifreeze) however after some investigation it's clear the leak is actually coming from the heater control valve, the good news is that Volvo no longer produce this part for RHD cars with no aircon, nor does anyone else it seems. Fantastic.

Meanwhile a long running member of the fleet departed the stable, washed and ready to go... 

47405969551_58efd18309_o.jpg

Goodbye little Lupo... I've had this one for getting on for 3-4 years, that's the longest I've ever owned any car and it's been utterly reliable for the whole time. The good news is it's gone to live with Broadsword of this very parish, so at least it's staying in the fold. Mixed feelings of simultaneous happiness and sadness about this but, alas, her indoors has spoken and room now has to be made for the C1. 

Shame about the heater valve leaking! My old saloon did the same thing, it started leaving a sticky wet smelly carpet in the drivers footwell. Luckily the new RHD valves were still available back then.

As you’ve discovered, they’re out of production both oe and pattern now which can be a real problem!

Last I heard Volvo were going to produce another batch of them but so far nothing!

If you get lucky and do find one, either used but good still or new unused they can be a bastard to change. Mine was the original from 87 and the rubber hose was utterly stuck solid onto the valve and there’s not much space under the dash/footwell area to work in. I had to take the pedals out along with much of the lower dash and front seat.

Other than finding a good used one in a breakers I can’t see much of a solution unfortunately. Someone over on the Volvo owners forum cobbled together a plumbing type valve into the system to replace it but it’s not exactly an ideal fix.

Thanks for looking into it, however things are bleaker than you might think

^ That's for LHD cars unfortunately, and is impossible to adapt to RHD as the alignment is wrong. The part number required is 9447892.

Some useful notes on how to remove the old one here:

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=85291

That's a help, thanks.

Lakes Auto (Volvo breakers at Wyboston) may well have a second-hand unit:

http://www.lakes4volvo.co.uk/

I spoke to Barry at lakes about these last spring, even then he didn't have any but went to great lengths to say the last two he had sent leaked when the buyer got them. They're made of brittle plastic and if they're not leaking already then removing them from the car almost certainly cracks them and ensures they will.

At this stage it looks like I may have to buy a generic valve from something else and attempt to engineer it to fit, either that or adapt some kind of household plumbing valve/bar/joint....

Apparently fitting these is a bit of a nightmare involving removal of the clutch pedal as Dan mentioned, and that's with the correct part. Needless to say some testing times lie ahead.