Batteries

Bren

Had a rant about the esp/ handbrake malfunction on my A6 - despite having the steering angle sensor recalibrated the lights are back on. This seems to happen when the car has been stood for a couple of days.

I checked the battery which is two years old - it showed 12.4 volts which is a tad low. I now have it on charge but I am beginning to wonder if it is fucked.

I will check the voltage tomorrow when cranking the engine. I have had batteries last for years but they just don't seem to last more than around three years now.

You can't really accurately judge the condition of a battery purely on unloaded voltage. As a minimum you need a sizable load on it, like a load drop tester. A poor mans version is checking the minimum voltage when cranking the engine.

Which is what i'll be doing in the morning.

I'd be looking for 12.6v+ from a fully charged good battery, but as said, it needs to be tested under load. Even if it drops for a second when cranking it can cause all sorts of wierdness on a newish motor.

And yes, batteries ain't what they used to be, we change loads on caravans now, and Yuasa seem to be one of the worst.post-62-0-32407600-1522959052_thumb.jpg

Battery is good. 13v fully charged. 11.9 during cranking and just under 14v with engine running. I read that a faulty brake switch can cause esp/handbrake malfunction.

I had a blown rear indicator bulb - on dismantling the cluster there was obvious corrosion. I replaced the bulb but then the reverse light bulb showed a fault. Strip and replace.

I wonder if the light cluster has been the problem?

Bastard cars.

When I had the steering angle sensor recalibrated at the auto electricians.

Is the rack centred? If some monkey has adjusted the tracking and not centred the rack, you will keep getting lights popping on.

www.shaftec.com/Shaftec/media/product.../VW-ELEC-RACKS-TECH-SHEET.pdf