Haunted Radio

Woody

I swear the radio in my Roomster is possessed. We were in bed the other night and the missus complained about the boom boom boom of music she could hear in the distance and how inconsiderate some people could be. I went outside to see if I could hear where it was coming from and saw the radio in the car all lit up...

It's done it several times since so I've taken to turning the volume down to zero when I park it up so at least it doesn't make any sound if it randomly turns on. Which worked fine until I came out to a flat battery one morning. Now I've taken the fuse out which has stopped the problem, but the wife is complaining about having to listed to nothing but the tuneful 3 cylinder diesel.

Has anyone an idea what's causing the radio to switch on randomly? It also switches into 'phone' mode at its whim, sometimes every few seconds. It's a standard fit Skoda 'Dance' unit.

Not quite the same, but our old works transit would randomly turn on the radio on left hand bends. I assume it was somehow linked to the steering wheel controls but never bothered to look at it. Perhaps there is some remote bit of it shorting out and turning it on?

You've not left a CD in it at all, have you?

There was a common fault with the blaupunkt radios fitted to the 2nd gen? Fiat Pandas (04 on) where the bloody things would turn the radio on at random if a disk was left in them. (guess how we found that one out!)

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

To try to answer in turn:

Th battery seems ok, it starts the engine easily on the first turn (TDi PD 1.4) and has only gone flat when the radio has come on overnight.

There's no CD In the machine, never used the CD facility just the aux socket.

No remote, just controls on the unit.

And it seems to like Radio 2, so definitely some 50s rock 'n roll there!

The only way I can really test it is to replace the head unit, I guess. Does anyone know if other Skoda units would be a straight swap (I don't do vehicle electrics!)?

On modernz like these the on/off isn't just controlled by the switch and a feed from accessory/ignition.

There's a permanent feed to the radio and it "decides" whether it needs to be on or off based on a combination of the switch position and values on the CANBUS that indicate whether the ign is on etc.  So a CANBUS fault or wiring issue anywhere can cause this - or it could be the head unit itself. 

It's not got TP on it has it?

On our Touran which presumable uses some sort of related VAG unit, if you turn the Traffic Announcements on it can record an announcement to some built-in memory so it plays back when you next get in the car. Can't remember what the function is called but it's fairly obvious on the display when it's on. You also choose which station you want to record it from.

Also, AMC Rebel is bang on the money. There's some combinations of head units in certain 2008/2009 Golfs for example that drain the battery because of CANBUS issues.

Guest Hooli

Spray it with switch cleaner, it might be thinking the on switch is pressed randomly. Dirty contacts would explain it dropping into 'phone' mode too.

Prithee do not engage Mr. Cumperdown of Southwark, as he wilt tell thee thy musick-box hath been bewytch'd, and moreover, wilt have one of thy neighboures arrest'd and hang'd forthwith for enchanting thy Skoda. And still wilt it continue with electrickal japes of the most noisome kynde.

Aske me how I knowe.

Howtofore, should thine wyfe pine for sweet airs and melodies en route, and thy musick-box be fuck'd, I fynde an itinerant beggar may oft be induced to sitt in the back and play upon his hurdy-gurdy most tunefully, at very moderate cost.

But a warnyng - do make thyself certain that he hath not the marks of the Black Death upon his skinne, as this may prove moste inconvenient.

I wishe thee well.