The starship Heart of Gold: contains Wolvo, time to move him on

Slartibartfast

I believe the release agent on the tyres reduces grip, especially in the wet, hence tyre places advise you to take it easy so you don't leave the first roundabout you come to via the verge rather than the exit. There's nothing to stop you removing the release agent with a few four wheel drifts in an empty car park :) .

Well I can't shake them down properly because the tyre place told me I have to take it gently on the new tyres for 50 miles, but they have definitely improved the ride comfort. Before it was quite rattly and bangy at points, especially when going over potholes or speedbumps. Now it's silky smooth.

I never knew that was a thing. Every days a school day.

Me neither, first time I've been warned about it.

They probably heard the exhaust note and thought, "we might want to have a quiet word with this lad. Hes got more than enough power to get into bother"

Nobody has EVER warned me about breaking 4 new tyres in when Ive been backing out of the gaff in a 1.3 Nissan Sunny.

Question: I suspect I have a droning wheel bearing. How would I identify if that's the case?

Was it noticeable before the new tyres? I have had a couple of sets of budget tyres that moaned just like a wheelbearing would but a "proper" brand's tyres should be ok. You'd hope!

Good luck with finding out which wheel it is.

With a Subaru I had to just wait and wait as the bearing got louder and louder and, with someone else driving, try and decide which end of the car it was, hanging out the window, holding the seat-belt to my ear etc etc.

"Which side of the car"? is a bit easier: if the sound varies under hard cornering one way, the duff bearing is more likely to be on the outside of the corner.

Question: I suspect I have a droning wheel bearing. How would I identify if that's the case?

MOT tester sylee: Jack up car so wheel is clear of the ground. Spin wheel (By hand). Place ear 1/2" from centre of wheel and listen for grumbly noises. Failed wheel bearings are usually quite easy to hear when your ear is almost pressed up against the wheel. Move 2' away and you can't hear them.

The computer reckons about 19. I can believe it. I haven't done a proper calculation though.

Two things of note happened today.

1. I found out why the rear wiper doesn't work. It doesn't have one. Nor any place for one to have been. It has the button on the stalk though.

2. I hooned it a bit hard round a slip road and it beeped very angrily at me three times. Nearly shat myself. Spent a while fretting about what I could possibly have broken. Waited for it to happen again. It happened again. I worked out that it was my bag on the passenger seat setting off the seatbelt not fastened alarm.

Edit: I'm convinced the android keyboard is on a mission to make me look illiterate.

The computer reckons about 19. I can believe it. I haven't done a proper calculation though.

I'm still getting the stink eye from Mrs H about the Saab's 25mpg. I may have earned this from repeated hilarious comments about how German diesels like her C-class kill polar bears despite a reported 55mpg.

19 is properly impressive. The only car I've owned that came near that was my CX 2.4 semi-auto. I wonder if it was quicker than yours in a straight line?

This arrived today from the seller, which is great because I was beginning to think that the promise of "two keys" was salesmanspeak, but no, glory be, I don't have to pay Volvo eleventybillion pounds for a replacement.

Also I now get to see one of the "executive" features in action. Unlock the door with the new key and the seat slides into a new position. Unlock it with my key and it scoots back into my driving position. Very cool.ca0dbf5566adc5ebec30c05129c0b9a6.jpg

Also I now get to see one of the "executive" features in action. Unlock the door with the new key and the seat slides into a new position. Unlock it with my key and it scoots back into my driving position. Very cool.ca0dbf5566adc5ebec30c05129c0b9a6.jpg

This was my favourite thing on my old V50! I shared it with my ex who is considerably shorter than me and had the seat adjusted totally differently. Very nice that it adjusts to your preferences when you open it with your key.