The starship Heart of Gold: contains Wolvo, time to move him on

Slartibartfast

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Aux belt went yesterday, looks like it took the water pump with it too. Lost power steering, charging and cooling while on the drive home. Had to drive a short distance to find a safe place to stop. Hope I haven't damaged the engine even further. Tame mechanic rescued me and is going to come and have a look as soon as his schedule allows.

what a pain, while not ideal, thermosyphon will have kept the coolant moving even with the loss of the water pump so unlikely to have cooked itself too much. I bet the steering was nice and light* without PAS! If its dropping coolant then the pump could well be knackered - probably worth getting that replaced while the mechanic is in there replacing the belt & tensioners.

• 3 weeks later...

Tame mechanic is fixing it today. The bearings in one of the idler pulleys (or the idler pulley? Not sure if it has more than one or indeed if any car has more than one. In fact I'm going to investigate now. It does in fact have more than one.) failed. This was ... less than ideal. The bearing failure munched the mounting thingo it sits on. This is part of the timing case which a single cast piece of aluminium. So the timing case and a whole bunch of other stuff needs replacing. Thankfully he's able to do it without pulling the engine out. He's managed to get most of it done but he's waiting on one part from Sweden which won't arrive until Friday.

b6524d594417c50d143f395bf93fdf03.jpge7ba3dd0b7639728d263288d291fd286.jpg

37 minutes ago, BorniteIdentity said:

Holy shitballs.

This is why I play the bangernomics game. Respect to you for getting it fixed! 

Well, it cost a fair bit, and working it's still worth a fair bit. Not working it's probably worth about £200.

Also if you ever get the chance to drive it you'll understand :)

You got not a bad run out it before the big bill:)

I got the GSA at the same time as this (withing a week or 2 I think) and used it as my runner to view this.

The GSA has had 4 spark plugs/ 4 tyres /service and an Acel pump on the carb.

Different worlds - god knows this Volvo is a hoot to drive - glad it's getting fixed:)

11 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

Lesson learned. Don't play serpentine belt roulette, kids.

Good advice!

I've just changed a grumbly belt tensioner on my car, did the idler pulley at the same time as it seemed sensible but was initially undecided from the "if it ain't broke...." point of view. Reckon it was a good idea after all.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...