Junkyard Jewels NI Easter Monday 2018

They_all_do_that_sir

Thanks for this thread which has a melancholy sort of pleasure, can't be many yards left like this now with so many 50's and 60's motors. Hard not to imagine most of these cars being polished religiously on a Sunday as was the practise of this period. Look forward to see what might have changed in your 2019 visit, sad that your motor went south on the trip home.though :(

Cheers guys, it's been a very enjoyable project to go through these pics and try to make some sense of them (though I recognise it would have been waaaaay quicker if I'd simply approached it more systematically in the first place)!

There's a definite sadness when observing this kind of decay, although in a way I'd sooner see an irretrievably end-of-life car gradually dissolve into the landscape, rather than be skewered by a forklift and dragged around a recycling yard prior to being fed into the fragger... while most of these are pretty far gone, I think there's a modicum of dignity still present here.

And it always delights me when someone accidentally digs a car up at the end of a garden or somewhere, and the pieces effectively become part of an archaeological puzzle...

_100693690_buriedcar1.jpg

_100693692_buriedcar2.jpg

_100693694_buriedcar3.jpg

_100693696_buriedcar4.jpg

I think I'm just about done with this thread now, having gone through all the pics again and added in a few more waifs and strays, and also updated the info available for those cars with searchable registrations.

Thanks for all the comments, suggestions and encouragement!

I'll have to have a think about what to do with my other sets of scrapyard pics, now...

Too easy just to suggest a retitle? I appreciate the effort you've gone to in posting these and I know I'm not the only one to lap up all you have on this subject. As sad as it is to see just how rotten these old heaps are, I'm deriving a certain sense of satisfaction knowing they're too rotten to race. Much better they're left in peace to dissolve.

• 1 year later...

Well okay kids... 

There's not much new to add here, other than obviously I didn't get up to Stewartstown during Easter 2019, for reasons I can't now recall but were probably domestically related.

Of course, Easter 2020 didn't happen due to PESTILENCE, and Easter 2021 is plainly off the cards too - so, in the hope that things might be back on track in 2022 again, here's a restored thread (ahem) for your viewing pleasure, with all the photos that were reduced to tiny 100x100 thumbnails in the forum switchover now manually replaced with properly-sized pics once more.

I'm aware I didn't do a particularly good job at recording each of the cars in the yard, but then again that thought only occurred to me afterwards - I'd just run round the place in the rain, snapping away frantically with my phone, and only later did I try to put them into some semblance of order.

Still, I think there's enough stuff here to interest most shiters, so enjoy Junkyard Jewels 2018 Redux - my gift to you.

On 3/14/2019 at 5:13 PM, Datsuncog said:

There was now a bit of space to get a proper pic of the remaining wrecks in this line-up:

20180402_103546.jpg

So we've a Standard Vanguard III / Ensign, with its eye poked out: SZ6312 (Co. Down registered - nada for this one too on the DVLA site)

20180402_092609.jpg

Some roof patina, anyway.

20180402_112354.jpg

Been a while since this one last drove anywhere, I'd guess.

20180402_112345.jpg

20180402_112349.jpg

I could do with the door cards out of that....albeit our project is in NZ...

indeed... I've a variety of scrapyard pics on 35mm film from the mid-90s to early 2000s which I've been meaning to scan and post up here for a long time now - plenty of 70s and 80s metal in varying stages of decomposition (plus a smattering of 50s/60s stuff).

I do miss wandering around proper old-school scrapyards and, other than the yard upthread, I only know of two other car dismantlers locally - rather than just metal recyclers. Even then, they don't have quite as much in the way of picturesque, rotted-out ruins; they just look like car parks, but with the odd missing bumper and accident damage.

There's a fella up the road who styles himself as 'Renault Rescue', with a flatbed breakdown truck, and I believe this is his yard (visible from the adjoining builder's merchant) - but it doesn't really have the same charm, funnily enough.

18834445_IMG_20210327_1122352.thumb.jpg.cb6c57ea9c4028cb3e84c7d9939ddb10.jpg

I'll be sure to set up a dedicated thread for these old scrapyard scans, as and when.

Glad you enjoyed, dude!

3 hours ago, Datsuncog said:

I'll be sure to set up a dedicated thread for these old scrapyard scans, as and when.

You could put them in the scrap yard thread. I always enjoy old yard pictures, a case of not knowing what you've got until it's gone really. Used to go to them just to wander around and see what interesting cars were piled up