Most insulting offer you have ever had?

Bren

Out passat was up for £1275 - I got the car for £1150. The seller he had told one guy who offered £800 to fuck off - the guy said his offer was what parkers said it was worth. At this age cars are priced on condition.

When I sold my first vectra it was an eight year old car with 76k on the clock - I put it on ebay with a very low start of £1500 ( the car was mint) - straight away I was offered £1450 on the basis my seller fees would be less! I told the guy where to go.

I got £2450 for the car. I can only conclude some people must end up never buying a car.

I was selling my old Accord for £250. What I can only describe as Desi Tweedledum and Tweedledee came to look at it, said it had a cheap aftermarket catalytic so offered me £80. It took several attempts to get them off of my driveway. They then sat in their other Accord that was parked over the road, and phoned me, offering £90.

For god's sake, just pay the asking price, it's hardly silly money!

I was glad I held out, as next week a bloke rang me offering £200, which I accepted. He came with the cash the next day and drove it off, pleased as punch with it.*

None so queer as folk!

*Just wait until the cambelt snaps.

I think nowadays everyone tries it on. When I first put on the 645 all I got was derisory offers with a question mark. Had it up for £4250 on gumtree at first, one chap offered £1500? I had to take a second look at the email. 

In the end re-advertised it on ebay and said all offers will be ignored, come and view the car first. Got the job done in the end.

To be honest most people who just offer without seeing or asking relevant questions are probably not going to be buying it anyway. 

So it really is exciting being a Dubber :)

It really isn’t, there are some great people (as with any car I suppose) but ‘the scene’ is awful. I got ours to use for camping but the reality is that they are slow, thirsty, uncomfortable and utterly utterly crap, much better to get a big estate and a tent, but weirdly I still have a soft spot for them. That guy really was a nutter though, reckoned he was a traveller and knew where I lived etc etc and that I wouldnt wake up one day because of turning his offer down. I actually think the guy probably had some mental health issues, I reported it but sort of felt sorry for him in a way as he just seemed to have a complete meltdown. Nowt so queer as folk as they say.

I've never bid someone a silly price, I'd say £50 off a £6-700 car would be a good result. I don't start babbling on trying to justify this that and the other, I'd just say that was what I was prepared to pay. 9/10 it works. If its way above what I'd offer I wouldn't open my trap. I'd make my excuses and go.

However, everybody these days fancies themselves as a bit of a Wheeler Dealer. Something else that's happened is that the art of speaking to one another is lost. Insulting offers are given over the form of semaphore or text message as its known. Avoiding the consequential black eye, the morons now just message a derisory figure mainly cause they've not the bollocks to actually speak to someone.

I've never bid someone a silly price, I'd say £50 off a £6-700 car would be a good result. I don't start babbling on trying to justify this that and the other, I'd just say that was what I was prepared to pay. 9/10 it works. If its way above what I'd offer I wouldn't open my trap. I'd make my excuses and go.

However, everybody these days fancies themselves as a bit of a Wheeler Dealer. Something else that's happened is that the art of speaking to one another is lost. Insulting offers are given over the form of semaphore or text message as its known. Avoiding the consequential black eye, the morons now just message a derisory figure mainly cause they've not the bollocks to actually speak to someone.

I don’t even reply to stupid offers anymore, why waste your time? There have been times I have been to see a car and valued the car significantly under the asking price, but I will always explain why and do it in a polite way, I make a point of never actually doing as an offer but saying it as ‘this is what I see as the value because.....’ As long as you aren’t a dick in how you do it people don’t take offence and I have had people accept a couple of times, both where there were issues the seller didn’t realise and everyone else had just said no thanks and walked away. One was my latest Capri where the lad thought it was ok and two years later it’s still not finished.

It really isn’t, there are some great people (as with any car I suppose) but ‘the scene’ is awful. I got ours to use for camping but the reality is that they are slow, thirsty, uncomfortable and utterly utterly crap, much better to get a big estate and a tent, but weirdly I still have a soft spot for them.

Plus eleventy on this.

Some people just cannot seem to countenance concluding any sort of transaction, however tiny, without feeling they've got a "bargain".

I once had a totally rotten Mk2 Fiesta, but with a perfect low-mileage engine and a mint Ghia interior - so put it out for £50 for a quick sale, thinking maybe an autograss racer might want it.

Two blokes arrived and spent over an hour poking around it, driving it up and down the road, chin-scratching, teeth-sucking, you name it - you'd think they were appraising a Bugatti at the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance, not lifting a fifty quid MOT-failure Fezzer from a back street in Hove...

Eventually one of them put his ultra-serious face on and made me a "firm offer" of £30, like he was fucking Warren Buffet conducting some corporate merger of two international business empires.

I should have told him to fuck away off just to see what would happen, but I was so incredulous (and keen to get my life back) that I just went with it - the drama of getting this rusty old shitter at almost half price was clearly more important to him than twenty quid was to me.

I had some pikeys sniffing around outside my house yesterday. The 'daid' tried buying the GT6 off me. 'Ir'll gi yer cash now fer it'

If I'd have known this thread was going to crop up I'd have asked him how much he was willing to pay instead of telling him to feck off as I suspect it would be a derisory amount.

Writing this has reminded me that I need to check the garage is locked.

I have had 'Hw mch' added as a comment on pictures of my cars that I have posted up merely to share and not to sell in any way.

I also had to mark 'NOT FOR SALE OR TRADE' on my Instagram account (which is mainly for my model cars) as I kept getting offers of trades or requests to sell this or that. Being polite wore down just a small bit after a while.

When I put my Porsche up for sale last year I had some dick telling me that he would give me £2500 it was up for 6k. His justification for this was he had read parkers guide and that is what it said it was worth. He got the right hump when I told him to stick it. I eventually reported him to ebay for harrasing me with his stupid offers.

My most annoying was when I was selling my RA40 Celica. It was a very tidy example, with genuine low miles, solid body and mint interior. It was up for a perfectly reasonable £2500.

A supposedly well known retro Japanese trader from the Manchester area came down with his "mechanic" to view it. They blathered on about how they wanted to put a Lexus V8 in it, and how it would be a magazine feature car when finished. He tried telling me it needed two rear quarters and two doors because of a couple of scabs, stating he "didn't have bog in his cars", and then went on to offer £1200. I politely refused. He tried to give the "you've got my number, phone me if you change your mind" blag. 

Couple of days later, I get a text from the same number he initially contacted me on, asking about the car. This message says he'll give £1400, as his mate has seen it "and knows all about the car". I reply, that his "mate" also knows how much I want, so offer that or don't contact me.

Couple of days later, I'm relaying this story to a fabricator mate, who knows the guy, because he asked him to repair a particularly rotten AE86 for him. After one side had been done, and the bill started to climb, he had allegedly asked him to wob the chassis on the other side. Mr. "I don't have bog in my cars".

Few weeks later, the car sold for a perfectly reasonable £2250, and went off on it's merry way to the Emerald Isle.

TL;DR, some people are chancers.

I've made lowball offers on stuff up on eBay before; once as low as 40% of the asking price, and that was accepted.

Sometimes things are advertised for what they're worth, but the convenience of having someone take it away when you've been getting no responses from an advert or repeated no-shows is worth taking a financial hit.

I wouldn't expect someone to be pleased to accept such a low offer though. Nor would I be offended if it were ignored entirely,

Semi-off-topic but I've been selling records and CDs on discogs.com for a year or two. I can enable a 'make offer' button on anything I'm selling but the catch is buyers are allowed to make exactly one offer only, as a seller I either accept it or the buyer is blocked from making any offer again on the same item. The result is I only get sensible offers usually 10-20% below asking, and I almost always accept them.

Can't help thinking eBay etc could learn from this...

Imagine selling your oul chod and ending up with another shitter and a bag of Brussels Sprouts.

For some of my wrecks, I'd have been pleased with that... I've done some fairly odd swaps in my time. Including swapping cars for groceries. (Wine's groceries, right?)

Had an old vectra b 1.8 up for around 400 quid was scruffy with a few dents, a cracked rear bumper but otherwise mechanically sound, had some old fool ringing up tutting over the photographs saying “ooh that doesn’t sound good to me, it’ll be a lot of money for a new rear bumper and it’ll need a respray that’ll be a fair few hundred etc, can you come down a couple of hundred?”

Just ended up hanging up on him in the end after telling him where to go.

Why are you looking at bargain basement cars when you want concourse condition but only want to spend pennies.

Some tinkers came the next day with 400 cash and drove it away

Or a metro gti SE with 58k on the clock, pretty much mint and boxed and no rot. “It’s fucked mate it’s worth 150 quid”

Yeah jog on lads.

12296595044_7f26f1bf30_b.jpg

Sprite by Conrad Conelrad, on Flickr

I had this on Car&Classic for £2,500. Bit of a scruff, but MOT'd and good to drive anywhere. Someone turned up and offered me £500. I told him he couldn't even buy a rubber bumper Midget for that. He said that was irrelevant since they are *completely different cars* and makes his offer again, before insinuating that I'm the fantasist. 

The next day, someone else turned up and offered £1,800. They drove away in it. See, the price was very negotiable. But not if your negotiation was based on loose pages from a 1991 Glass's Guide you found stuffed behind a toilet cistern.