Mondeo petrol auto: no longer available

dieselnutjob

Yes I was going to post that it is in fact Euro IV. My 3.0 V6 is too, though it is an 05 reg. I daresay most manufacturers made their vehicles compliant some time ahead of the deadline, which for Euro IV was Jan 2005.

Edit: it also strikes me that an apparently well maintained 2.0 Duratec from an auto ought to appeal to the kit car and engine swap brigade?

Edit 2: The steering pull could well be due to the budget tyres, had exactly that on a friend's Megane I was called upon to fettle recently.

Hang on is he selling it because he's had a letter from TFL? Has he checked for himself if it meets the regulations? TFL wrongly sent out letters during the LEZ run up period to loads of compliant van owners as well telling them they weren't....I know of at least 3 petrol van owners who had letters saying they were going to cost £100 a day to go into the zone when they were actually exempt due to being petrol.

Honestly, if I needed car to drive across the continent I wouldn't hesitate to take this, it drives that well.

A sticky idle thing and a slight clonk in the rack would not cause an FTP. I have driven worse to southern Spain and Italy.

The main things of oil, coolant, transmission and brakes are all fine.

I am very sensitive to unwanted mechanical noises and this one is fine.

I recently sold my Mk3 Mondeo Auto Estate and that was a 2 liter petrol with 170K on the clock and it ran perfect, engine was quiet, responsive, used no oil or water and did not overheat in heavy traffic. So if I lived closer, I would definitely snap this car up. At £150, its a steal. As has been said, its a cam driven chain engine so no maintenance. Early cars could ingest the manifold flaps, which wrote off the engine but most were recalled and had a later, more robust manifold fitted. Knocking from the front could be drop links, an easy fix. Stiff steering? replace the upper swivel bearings. Cheap to do. Bottom ball joints? £20 each. Not easy to do, as they are riveted to the arm and the 10mm domed rivets must be ground or drilled out.

From my experience, the Mondeo Mk3 is a very under rated car, a joy to own, quiet inside, a great motorway cruiser and a pleasure to own. Get it bought someone! You will not regret it!

Sorry for going off topic, but does this mean that old Focus are also Euro 4? What about Fiestas?

I need to source a cheap car for a London school dinner lady who late 90s Scenic is running on gaffer tape and Hail Marys.

I did suggest the Mondeo to her but she can't afford something that drinks more petrol than the Scenic (which is manual).

I think a Focus which people think isn't Euro 4 but actually is might be perfect.

The Mondeo owner already has another car so the Euro 4 part is no longer relevant to him. I may have misunderstood that situation but it doesn't change anything really.

Maybe I should have it myself as the Jag definitely isn't Euro 4.... If I can get the 604 running it won't be necessary though.

Maybe I should have it myself as the Jag definitely isn't Euro 4.... If I can get the 604 running it won't be necessary though.

I've done the maths in my head and this doesn't work.

I take the Jag into central London twice a week in the evenings. With holidays and stuff that's maybe 70 or 80 times a year. So from next year that will be £700 or so in ULEZ charges.

The Mondeo will use more fuel and I probably can't tax, insure, service and MOT it for £700 so it doesn't work as a second car ULEZ avoidance.

The 604 does work as it's historic and is only £100 insurance, and I run it as a hobby anyway.

My 2009 Avensis is too old to register as a cab in London as SaDICK khan moved the goal posts again and as such you now need euro 6 or above (my avensis being a euro 5) however as it is already registered and has had its first plating (goes back for plating every year) and I can use the car up until its 10th birthday....HOWEVER they did tell me the other day that if I wanted to get another year out of it as long as the car is replated before its 10th birthday (even the day before) I would then be able to squeeze another year out of it....

Therefore being a Jan 2009 reg car I could actually use it until Jan 2020....

I am in Willesden today if anyone did want this looking at on my way back out...

Sorry for going off topic, but does this mean that old Focus are also Euro 4? What about Fiestas?

http://carfueldata.direct.gov.uk/

Is useful for getting tax and emissions ratings, you search by car instead of registration. It does have flaws as the Mondeo has two identical entries for the model type, one says Euro 3 the other Euro 4. Cartell.ie shows the Euro rating for a car on their basic search if you want to double check using the registration number.

The ULEZ checker shows my Euro 3 rated Mondeo as compliant so shows how accurate the TFL checker is.

Anyone know the tax rate on this?

£305

Spoken to Denis - seems like a nice chap - only problem is I’m coming back out around 2-2.30pm and unfortunately he isn’t about until 6.30/7pm this evening....

Just trying to think when I am next down here.... :/

In Twickenham 6/7 days which is complete other side of both the A40 and A4/M4....

That's the second Mondeo mk3 which has come up as ULEZ compliant. Did Ford make them Euro 4 early? Anyway the owner has a Mazda 6 now.

Ford probably did, they're usually ahead of the game for this type of thing.

Absolute giveaway for that, as posted above there's £134 sitting in car take back, from my experience with them I'd take that, hassle free, money paid straight into your account, obviously only if a suitable buyer on here is not found, imagine braving gumtree for a £150 Mondeo.

Xbox 2 nite m9.

I think that Denis wants someone to turn up, hand over £150 and drive away. He isn't a forum member. I had hoped that the super low price would enable this to take place.

I think I have already checked out the car reasonably well and he is an honest guy.

Absolutely agree. There’s nothing else to look at, surely?