Vauxhall Astra Mk2 Merit Estate.

pandamonium

Nerve wracking until I found a fuel station. Spluttering and coughing in traffic but OK on the move. Definitely air / vacuum related. Nothing I can't handle.

Sat at 60-65 most of the way, did push it up to 80 to get past some bellend who came off a sliproad and wouldn't speed up or slow down so I could get back in and was accelerating the same pace as I was

It does the standard pierburg thing of cutting out at junctions, I've had many Polos do the same. 

I've had a fiddle already and got the auto choke behaving a bit better, will investigate more when I'm not feeling so poorly and tired.

Overall, I love it. Only gripe is the dead rear wiper, will have a look at the wiring when I get chance. 

Although I feel rather sad that a new carb is what has been needed to sort the running out, I am happy this is still on here and in the hands of someone who has wanted it for a while.

It is a really fun old thing to drive, for reasons which I can't quite put my finger on. It isn't fast or blessed with razor sharp dynamics, but has a certain charm which I loved when I had it.

I will be watching this thread with interest and wish you the best with it. I actually really like the Cavalier wheel trims on it, but can understand wanting some Astra ones (the original Merit trims are in the boot, but a little bit worse for wear)