Volvo V70 1997 2.5T auto. For sale or swap for smaller auto.

Tetleysmooth

It sounds like a pulley is on it's way out on your serpentine belt, we have that problem with Our lass' Magentis, and we suspect it's the aircon pump (which is a bastard as the whole thing needs changing)!

You may want to try putting the non-aircon belt on, as that would at least prove it was your aircon pulley if the sound went away? Also you prevent further damage if it is the case until you can get a replacement (on the magentis you have to have the aircon drained by a pro to dispose of the gases properly so it's a faff).

Best of luck anyway :)

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody fancy this for 400 quids?

I've not done anything to it, and it still runs and drives very well.

The whiny noise is still there, but intermittant. Leaving work this morning, there was no noise at all.

There are no warning lights on the dash, save for the service light, which goes out after about 90 seconds.

I reckon a new serpentine belt will see this ok.

I may get a chance to actually do something to this during the week.

My heavy goods licence expires tonight at midnight, and the DVLA haven't processed my new one yet, so I can't go to work.

By the way, no noise again this morning, still running and driving as a V70 should.

Anyone got a Saab or Volvo convertible auto they fancy swapping?

I also like the Volvo C70 coupe.

You're probably not including Saab 95 2.3 Aero Hot as "smaller" are you?

Yep.

I'll elaborate on this.

I've had V70's and Volvos in general for a good few years now, and as much as I think they are great cars, I now fancy a change.

I've always rather fancied a Saab convertible. A work colleague has a Linear 1.8t for sale. It's an 05 plate, scruffy, but pretty good mechanically, but it's a manual. It's up for what I think is a very reasonable price. A manual is no good to me, or rather Mrs Tet if she has to use my car in an emergency. She is licensed to drive a manual, but can't.

I'd still have a C70 convertible or coupe though, just as a change from estates.

One last bump for this.

It made the noise yesterday for less than ten seconds.

Me and Mrs Tet went all over the place in it.

So, one last chance to grab a quiet, powerful and ultra reliable Volvo estate.

I'm not dropping the price anymore, and I won't be doing a raffle.

I'll just hang on to it.

I was really worried about this noise.

Started again t'other day. I just really got fed up with hearing it, so gave the throttle a bloody good hard blip - and it stopped.

That tells me it's the belt. Not been able to replace it yet, but will do as soon as I can.

Had to tighten my own personal belt. I was forced to have a week off without pay last week due to my HGV licence expiring. Got it back now, so things may be looking a tad brighter.

Just been out and about again. Parked up for a while at Tescos, came out -  started up - noise - throttle blip - noise gone.

To be honest Ken, I'm not that bothered if this sells or not. It's such a lovely old beast to drive.

I know I'll be a bit gutted if I see it driving off into the sunset with someone else.

That noise is probably just a dry roller or something....I wouldn’t give it a second thought

Absolutely. If it changed the way the car starts and drives, or put up eml's, I'd be worried, but the old beast just carries on as usual.

I have had a totally poxy couple of months. It got to the stage where I couldn't book my HGV medical until the 1st of June, and my licence expired on the 10th. I actually had my medical on the 7th, so three days before the expiry date. I thought as long as I'd posted the relevant stuff, I'd still be ok to drive. Not so. Had to have a week off without pay last week. Got my entitlement back now, so back to work tonight.

Sorry to go off on a tangent, but I'm just trying to explain why I haven't done anything to the old girl. Couldn't afford a belt. Better times are just around the corner though.

Don’t need to apologise mate. These things are sent to test us! Replacing the belt may not necessarily sort the sound if it is a dry roller - only saying as wouldnt want you to spend out on a new belt and labour to fit the belt and it make no difference!

Good luck with selling it :)

I can fit a new serp belt myself, absolutely no problem. One of our fitters at work made me a 'special' tool for releasing the tensioner, works a treat.

The problem is buying the bloody belt in the first place. Gradually turning it around now, but I've never been so totally skint as that.

Well, I got my driving entitlement back, so I printed it off of the Gov. view licence website and tootled off to work last night. They still wouldn't let me work, despite the DVLA saying I don't need a section 88, so I thought 'bollocks', and came home again. Difference is, this week and next week I'm being paid.

So, this morning, I've given the beast a wash, and for your delight and delectation, may I present one Volvo v70 2.5 turbo auto petrol:

post-5359-0-96229600-1529491140_thumb.jpg

post-5359-0-85407300-1529491195_thumb.jpg

post-5359-0-37544900-1529491243_thumb.jpg

post-5359-0-68641100-1529491290_thumb.jpg

post-5359-0-31927600-1529491347_thumb.jpg

post-5359-0-33319800-1529491395_thumb.jpg

post-5359-0-09169500-1529491442_thumb.jpg

post-5359-0-18376600-1529491505_thumb.jpg

post-5359-0-18427100-1529491568_thumb.jpg

I haven't taken any of the interior yet, as it needs a broom out and a dust over. Please notice the bonus shot of the non retracting retractable load cover. It used to work brilliantly, until I put our suitcases in the back when we were bound for Stansted airport last October. It gave a crack and refused to retract. I just hook it on now. It's a bit droopy, but it does the job of covering up your possessions.

Well, I got my driving entitlement back, so I printed it off of the Gov. view licence website and tootled off to work last night. They still wouldn't let me work, despite the DVLA saying I don't need a section 88, so I thought 'bollocks', and came home again. Difference is, this week and next week I'm being paid.

Reminds me of the time they buggered up my digi card...I had a lovely two week "holiday".

• 4 weeks later...

I currently have a new engine top mount (poly), and a serpentine belt winging their way towards me as we speak.

I read something very interesting on the Volvo forum yesterday. A couple of the members on there have had this noise, which goes away as the car warms up.

In both cases it's turned out to be the oil filter of all things!! It would explain why the noise stops as the temp climbs.

I may just replace mine and give that a go

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I had a pm from the new owner of the Volvo.

He found the source of the whiny noise. It was the oil filter.

A new Volvo filter has cured it. One for V70 owners to remember.

He's absolutely loving the car.

That is incredibly bizarre, never would have thought of it in a million years!!