Volvo V70 1997 2.5T auto. For sale or swap for smaller auto.

Tetleysmooth

Righto then.

I've got this 'ere V70 2.5T auto petrol.

As some of you probably know, I've been after a T5 for a dogs age, and one has come up which I may be actually to afford.

I'm being a bit tentative about the ad, because if the T5 sells, then there's no way I'll part with this. It's supremely reliable.

Ok, so a phase 1 V70 2.5 turbo auto petrol. About 193 horsepower I believe.

Silver (yes, I know about resale etc). Black leather interior. Drivers seat bolster worn, rest of the interior jolly good, but in need a good clean, but ok as it is.

MOT'd until January '19. No advisories on last 2 tests.

No service history. I wasn't given any when I bought the car, and have just been fitting new bits as and when needed.

It doesn't use any oil at all, there's no need to check it between changes really, but I do anyway, and the level never drops.

Regular oil changes in my ownership, probably more than it needs.

It could do with a timing belt. No problems with it, just there's no history of a change.

Autobox absolutely fine. No leaks that I can see from engine or box.

I've renewed all the pads, including the front discs, so no problem there.

If this doesn't work out, I'll keep it and renew the ATF and brake fluid. Once again, no problems, but it's a good car, so worth doing.

Starts first time. Never overheats or loses coolant.

I haven't got any pics. I haven't taken any since the great Photobucket smash 'n grab, but if there's any interest, I'll endeavour to sort some out.

Anyone fancying this, a PM wouldn't go amiss.

I was thinking of £475 for this Swedish bullet.

If it were a saloon, it would be an S70, but it's a V70 which stands for versatile. So it's an estate. Obviously, being an estate, it has four doors and a tailgate. It's Swedish, not Scottish. If there's any firm interest, I'll take some pics, but for now, just imagine what a silver V70 looks like.

Really good cars. Why the antagonism, though?

The diseasel version of this car carried me about 600 miles of mixed roads yesterday from Cornwall, via Hampshire and Shropshire (to view another V70) back up to Darkest Yorkshire. In far more comfort than you'd expect given the way the ride feels at first encounter, not having a four pot helps as the miles tick by.

There's a quality lacking from most of this century's cars in these.

You were rude.

I've noticed he's rude in a lot of his replies in different topics. In fact, I think he's one of the most sarcastic people* I've ever come across on any forum.

I'm surprised the mods haven't picked up on him yet.

He obviously has no interest in the car, probably just a bit bored sitting at home playing with his willy.

Mr smooth says in his post that it is a tentative advert. So I took that to mean that if you are interested then get in touch for more detailed information. Has I am not in a position to buy then I won't question him on mileage and doors and other stuff. One thing I teach my kids is this. Before you say anything ask yourself the following questions. 1 is it true? 2 is it necessary? 3 is it kind? . If the answer to any of them three is no. Then you shouldn't say anything at all.

I'd like to buy the petrol model but it would need to be a diesel for me I think. What mpg's do you get, 30ish?

Sorry mr fred, this post completely passed me by.

To be honest, I've never checked the mpg on any of my cars. The needle goes down, I put more in.

The only car I've had which really stands out in my memory for piss poor mpg, was the Toyota Previa 2.4 auto petrol.

That was frightful.

The diesels will (when right) average nearly 50mpg with the autobox, more with the manual but have almost vanished in the classifieds - I had a look at a diesel on the way back from Cornwall and other foreign lands, https://www.gumtree.com/p/volvo/volvo-v70-2.5-d-se-auto-diesel-7-seater/1292004376 - the price has slid from 895 to 695, I knew it would likely have issues beyond the creased panel.

It had too many serious ones to be worth bothering with (not least feeling like it had covered half a million miles with minimal servicing), highlighting what a great buy the petrols now are, if you fancy the last boxy Volvo with added handling and great engines. They're tough and fairly simple, for a largish, fastish car. Tetley's sounds spot on for the money.

Probably need to start making a move towards being able to jump when one appears though, cause this is at least the third time this v70 has been up for sale.

No, first time with this one.

I have sold 2 others though. I've got as far as owning a 5 pot with a turbo, but the T5 just eludes me.