Craig's crud collection - MAJOR UPDATE 31-05-17

Guest xr1984

At some point yes. Regrettably the weather has been shite every weekend so zero progress with dismantling off any of the parts I want!

Box must be an MT75 then, shame as I had a buyer if it was a Type 9, folk with E types and such like can apparently get a bellhousing conversion kit readily.

The spares car still lives. Against the odds. The wife was deeply unimpressed that I organised a tow truck to move it from my work car park to our house on the morning of our wedding while she was getting ready at her sisters place... I told her at least she couldn't accuse me of not organising anything for the day :D

You sir, are a legend.

I too pissed about with my car on the morning of my wedding!

Photographic evidence.

Photo0214.jpg

And my own wedding transport. I was delighted when this turned up, to be honest I expected my best man would have simply shoved some ribbons onto my white Sierra and ask me for the keys.

Photo0215.jpg

• 11 months later...

What ho shite fans, wow it's been a year since I posted in this thread, getting super slack now that I'm nearer to 40 than 30.  There is now a saucepan lid in the mk2 household so regrettably my lovely Ghia auto had to go by wife's edict, replaced by a very unremarkable 07 Astra diesel.

post-132-0-33686600-1384381275_thumb.jpg

Fortunately it has found a new owner in a member of the local classic car club, he managed to dent the back end by reversing it into something shortly afterwards but I am pleased to report that it has been repaired and looking good.  That was back in April which left me with the spare parts Sierra that has also now gone, amazingly this has also found a new owner despite having had plenty robbed off it to fix the other one up.

post-132-0-13519300-1384381853_thumb.jpg

Not quite a total shite clear-out though as I still have my incredibly tired XR2, I still harbour dreams of actually restoring this one although it needs a new roof skin and a little bit of mig wire elsewhere plus a damn good mechanical sorting out.  Progress so far has amounted to buying a new battery and nothing more!

post-132-0-07999800-1384382068_thumb.jpg

That's about all.  Next update probably in about a year's time :)

Thanks!  Here he is at one month old (closer to four months at the time of writing) with the comedy bib my cousin bought him.

post-132-0-60533800-1384435257_thumb.jpg

This is what the four-wheeled fleet consists of now, two-thirds modern Vauxhall content.  There's a CBF600 just arrived in the garage too which is the motorcycle equivalent of an Astra I guess.

post-132-0-55017800-1384435486_thumb.jpg

Might have the XR2 fully sorted by the time he's 17, by which point I'll be paranoid about letting anybody but me have a shot.

• 3 years later...

Hi Iain, yeah number 1 son will be 4 in July. Hes in the nursery at the primary school where he starts reception class in September, there'll be 75 of the little bastards apparently!!

there's no number 2 son nor a number 1 daughter, I reckon that would send me over some mental cliff-edge, or at least exterminate what few tat-fixing opportunities I've currently got.

post-132-0-11594300-1496268401_thumb.jpg

The XR2 is in what I'd describe as 1999 condition, if you catch my drift. I've actually got a stack of new parts for it plus some good used panels to refurbish and attach to the somewhat aged shell.

post-132-0-90561300-1496268574_thumb.jpg

I just can't get onto it though! I went in there thinking I'd start it up, move it onto the drive and clear out all the crap from the interior, then I might feel motivated to fit the brand spanker carb I picked up from a local motor factors old stock last year or maybe even give the old crate a long overdue wash.

post-132-0-85359800-1496268789_thumb.jpg

In the end I sacked it off after not enough juice in the batt to fire it up. I couldnt face the rigmarole of moving all the kid stuff outa the way to get the family car close enough to jump start it AGAIN so I left it there and took our lad for a bike ride.

post-132-0-75760600-1496269282_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure I can see the light at the end of the tunnel yet tbh. I'm skint after paying too much for a diesel Datsun Cashcard that I'd rather not own. So I dunno when I'm gonna find the spare cash to get this 33 year old Fiesta back into the swing of things. In the meantime I treated myself to the 1/43 version. I know I coulda funded something for the 1/1 model instead but OSF tax seems to have kicked in even more on the scale copy than the real thing, so that's some sort of investment I guess.

• 3 years later...
On 6/27/2012 at 11:42 PM, mk2_craig said:

So another year on from the last one and I've just taken this into stock:

6b02c4e6.jpg.f5e018cf4915e0da58f089ef3a7e6973.jpg

Late '90, DOHC manual, 107k, and dead.

Would like to get it running again but it's tatty and was bought as spare parts only so that's probably what I'll end up using it for - unless anybody can persuade me not to start dismantling it. I could swap over quite a few bits onto the white one, but the rest is surplus to requirements so if anybody wants any components please let me know and I'll see what I can do. I'm going to have things like column stalks, exhaust, sunroof and odd bits of trim.

This thing was the Sierra that just kept on giving.  I used a load of bits off it to improve the white Ghia before I sold that one, then raided a few things that I thought would be saleable or handy the next time I bought one.  That hasn't happened since and isn't likely to in future, so I'm now trying to shift some of the stuff gathering dust in the garage.

Star of the show was the stereo rig which is the same as in the Cosworth.  I'd have been delighted with a ton which was twice what the whole car owed me but:

sierra.thumb.jpg.0380596c8c1d9ac22d4db2966efefecd.jpg

Shame the twat who won it then contacted me to ask if it would fit into his '88 car (our survey says XX - Different lower dash) and the second bidder didn't want it either so it's back on the Bay for a second attempt.  Fingers crossed!