3500 grand for a 405? Really?

Partridge

The 406 I had was so comfortable but very easy to place and light on its feet in a wafty way. I was shocked how good it was to be honest. I’d just come from a bmw 5 series of the same age which handled well in a different way, but I had loads, loads more fun in the 406.

The 406 was very highly regarded when new, with many road testers feeling it was a better car than the four pot E46 3 Series (which is was) and the C Class Merc (which it most certainly was).

There's nothing clever about paying too much for a mostly forgotten old saloon car. Yes it was good, but the 406 was better still and they're worth fuck all. The art of car ownership - if you're clever - is to buy good cars for next to nothing. This is why I look at the classic car market with amusement - it's stupid people being parted with large sums of money for what is really old shit.

If a half tidy 405 was driven into Charles Trent's tomorrow, it would be drained of fluids, shorn off its wheels and battery and dumped in the yard with all the other 'really good cars'. Nobody cares.

Not everyone thinks of driving as a totally soulless experience though. I'm not sure by what metric you are measuring it, but I would strongly disagree that a 406 is 'better' than a 405. I'd say it was quite a lot worse, actually, and the only 405 I've driven was a knackered old shed. It was still objectively 'better' than my 406 if you are considering only its ride, handling, steering, driving position and overall experience. If you only consider the build quality, noise levels and fuel consumption (on vaguely the same engine) then the 406 is 'better'.

But people don't buy old cars because they're 'better' at going round the M25 endlessly with as little concentration from the driver as possible, they buy them because they enjoy the experience of driving them. I don't want to do my 300 mile a week commute in a Vintage car particularly, but I'd rather drive a Vintage car to the pub on my day off than a boring modern diesel, because it's a 'better' driving experience.

I do HAT all modern cars though

The 406 was very highly regarded when new, with many road testers feeling it was a better car than the four pot E46 3 Series (which is was) and the C Class Merc (which it most certainly was).

There's nothing clever about paying too much for a mostly forgotten old saloon car. Yes it was good, but the 406 was better still and they're worth fuck all. The art of car ownership - if you're clever - is to buy good cars for next to nothing. This is why I look at the classic car market with amusement - it's stupid people being parted with large sums of money for what is really old shit.

If a half tidy 405 was driven into Charles Trent's tomorrow, it would be drained of fluids, shorn off its wheels and battery and dumped in the yard with all the other 'really good cars'. Nobody cares.

That can be said for any old car though, some really not that old at all either.

Mine does everything I need of it as transport. It will sit with all the modern stuff on the hottest day of the year in the fast lane, return decent mpg's, especially if grannying it about the place as it is driven 90% of the time and copes very well indeed with the frankly horrendous state of the roads where I live too. The suspension just soaks it up, even if I don't manage to avoid a massive pothole it carries on regardless. Seats are great, power steering, leccy windows and sun hole etc. Despite only 90 bhp it will still allow a safe overtake as it doesn't weigh too much. I can't really think what I am missing out on to get from A to B.

The last MOT cost me £32 as it went through with no advisories, pretty cheap motoring for an old piece of shit, although I do admit it was dearer than the vast majority of cars I've ever bought.

It's getting that little bit retro too now, the boxy looks you just don't get any more. The 406 just doesn't have anything like that going for it although I should think the coupe will become more appreciated as time goes by.

405 was a good car and for £5-600, a decent one would be a laugh but come on its not a birdcage Maserati. If you want to cash your pension in to revel in 1980's fall to bits Peugeot interiors then crack on.

Seems a bit of a generalisation that. I sold one years back with around 250,000 miles on the clock. Everything on it still worked, all 4x electric windows, the electric sunroof, heater motor, switchgear etc. Not a single piece of the interior was hanging off either. The early cars had a rep for being poorly put together but the later ones really weren't as bad as you are making out I don't think.

Seems a bit of a generalisation that. I sold one years back with around 250,000 miles on the clock. Everything on it still worked, all 4x electric windows, the electric sunroof, heater motor, switchgear etc. Not a single piece of the interior was hanging off either. The early cars had a rep for being poorly put together but the later ones really weren't as bad as you are making out I don't think.

Mine is a late one, and it's a weird mish mash of cheap rubbish and nice materials. The door handles feel more delicate than Rover 800 ones (which are more delicate than Donald Trump's ego) and the indicator stalks feel like you could pull them off with your bare hands if you tried hard enough. On the other hand the dash is as nice as anything the Germans would come up with in the 80s/90s and nothing rattles.

Mine is a late one, and it's a weird mish mash of cheap rubbish and nice materials. The door handles feel more delicate than Rover 800 ones (which are more delicate than Donald Trump's ego) and the indicator stalks feel like you could pull them off with your bare hands if you tried hard enough. On the other hand the dash is as nice as anything the Germans would come up with in the 80s/90s and nothing rattles.

Sounds like most non high end cars of the era tbh. Peugeot went backwards afterwards imo. I've had and mates have had numerous 306's and they are worse. Hard to find one with a properly working window mechanism.

You can buy Q-bond now tho! Every old 306 needs that and a bunch of zip ties in the glove box  :-)

This is just as dull as the "IT'LL NEVER BE A CLASSIC" droning from bores you find on lesser forums.

That 405 was worth a relatively large amount of money to the person who bought it and presumably the people they were bidding against, get over it Quentin Wilson.

Also 405>406.

Would you pay £3500 for one?

On second thoughts, don't answer that.

That can be said for any old car though, some really not that old at all either.

Mine does everything I need of it as transport. It will sit with all the modern stuff on the hottest day of the year in the fast lane, return decent mpg's, especially if grannying it about the place as it is driven 90% of the time and copes very well indeed with the frankly horrendous state of the roads where I live too. The suspension just soaks it up, even if I don't manage to avoid a massive pothole it carries on regardless. Seats are great, power steering, leccy windows and sun hole etc. Despite only 90 bhp it will still allow a safe overtake as it doesn't weigh too much. I can't really think what I am missing out on to get from A to B.

The last MOT cost me £32 as it went through with no advisories, pretty cheap motoring for an old piece of shit, although I do admit it was dearer than the vast majority of cars I've ever bought.

It's getting that little bit retro too now, the boxy looks you just don't get any more. The 406 just doesn't have anything like that going for it although I should think the coupe will become more appreciated as time goes by.

Fabulous.

Fabulous.

Nope.

It looks like the other two tidy ones that went for the 1600 mark are more where the market lies? How long it stays like that is anyone's guess. As I said on page one, when I saw it sell I had a proper WTF is going on moment.

Mine must be worth at least double that 3.5K anyway. There are over 3x as many STDT's left and it's done half as many miles and the GLX that just sold are positively abundant with 32x as many as SRDT's, that's how it works isn't it?  ;-)  

Fabulous.

On second thoughts, don't answer that.

Also better built and better trimmed than 405’s were. Also prettier, drive exceptionally well and as they are worthless, cheaper.

1500 quid is about right - I wouldn't, but if you really want one...........

£3500 is still insane. As insane as paying more than 10 grand for an E Type.

And probably another 30 more comments all saying the same thing

Jesus fuck, change the record, eh? we get it... you think it was too expensive...we heard you the first time. Would you pay 3.5k for one? obviously not, going by the 50 times you have said as much in the past six pages, but someone did. They apparently have enough disposable income to pay a sum they are comfortable with for a car they wanted. Beyond that, who gives a toss? fuck.

Sounds like most non high end cars of the era tbh. Peugeot went backwards afterwards imo. I've had and mates have had numerous 306's and they are worse. Hard to find one with a properly working window mechanism.

You can buy Q-bond now tho! Every old 306 needs that and a bunch of zip ties in the glove box  :-)

It's not a proper French car unless it's made badly ;) Mind you, they can't be anywhere near as bad as the 307 and first gen 308. Even a Peugeot PR woman admitted to me that they were poorly made. The 405 seems to be something a pinnacle for Peugeot, in many ways.

It's not a proper French car unless it's made badly ;) Mind you, they can't be anywhere near as bad as the 307 and first gen 308. Even a Peugeot PR woman admitted to me that they were poorly made. The 405 seems to be something a pinnacle for Peugeot, in many ways.

The 405 is a bit of a bastard child tho isn't it. French design, Italian styling and made in Coventry...

As for prices. In August 2016 some nutter paid 31K for a 205 Gti. That was then utterly trounced by someone even more bonkers who paid 38.5K for another low miler 1.9 that sold last year. 

When figures like that are flying around it's surely going to drag the numbers up for others from a similar era? 

The 405 is a bit of a bastard child tho isn't it. French design, Italian styling and made in Coventry...

As for prices. In August 2016 some nutter paid 31K for a 205 Gti. That was then utterly trounced by someone even more bonkers who paid 38.5K for another low miler 1.9 that sold last year. 

When figures like that are flying around it's surely going to drag the numbers up for others from a similar era? 

I really shouldn't work, but it does.

Jesus, I wasn't aware 205 Gtis were going for that much. :shock:

Yes timewaster has probably said he will collect next weekend, that’ll come and go, he may will turn up but will compare it to that that has just left the factory, probably end up leaving it, seller will offer second chance offer by which time those follow up buyers have gone off the boil and only then the car will be relisted....I’m sure....

I don’t even bother selling vehicles via Ebay auctions anymore. A model which only Ebay profit from hence their reluctance to crack down on these timewasters....everytime YOU the seller relists....your throwing more money into their pot....

This. And this alone. The exact reason I dont like stuff for auction on evilbay. 7 days of bidding, 7 days waiting for the highest bidder to finish buggering around, another 7 day RE-list auction, another 7 days.......... you get the drift. I just bang stuff on a classified ad now.

But isn't this the case with all 'future classic' cars? One mint example comes along and goes for an arm and a leg and all the Joe Bloggs with one rotting in their drive thinks that their sitting on a gold mine and doubles their price. One thing leads to another and the values starts creeping up across the board and before you know it your looking at ebay ads thinking to yourself, "surely they have missplaced the decimal point?!".

Somehow buying 80s and 90s bangers has become like playing the stock market!

What should we take from this? BUY NOW WHILE YOU CAN!

I can't believe you silly sods are still arguing over this.

NEWSFLASH!

*An above average old car sells for an above average price to an enthusiast who really wants that particular make and model!!*

405s are great old cars. I took £700 back on one I totally stripped. They have a big following and I sold almost every part of it.

The thing is, as good as the 405 is the 406 is a better car.

Back in the early 90s I had a couple of 405s over a three month period and thought that they were generally fine but weak in the (petrol) powertrain department. The equivalent Vauxhall engines were miles ahead in eagerness, refinement and general usability.

Fast forward 10 years and you'd expect me to say the 406 is a better car than the 405 (well certain versions anyway) not least because it can be had with the powertrain it deserves. Smooth, quiet and chuckable with a nice wafty character.

405s? They're brill and shite in equal measure.  

Arguing is for MumsNet,

This will test the market (again)

Peugeot_N292YND__4_Medium.jpg

https://mathewsons.co.uk/vehicle-auction-catalogue/5964-1995-peugeot-405-executive-td

Often known as a classic taxi

You heard it here first.  A new term.

All this bollocks about the car not being worth it and the buyer being an idiot are just that. Bollocks.

The car in question is no longer a mainstream car, it’s not really a banger anymore either. Nobody will go out and buy an old 405, or many other cars of that era anymore as a cheap runaround. Those days are gone and times moved on. If you want that sort of car you’d be looking at 10 or 15 year old euro blobs of whatever make.

The person who bought this is somebody who wants a really good one because it’s a 405. It’s irrelevant if the 406 was better or a BMW or a Merc or whatever modern is better. The buyer of this doesn’t give a shit about that. They want a really nice 405.

The money I’ve spent on my Capri and Mercury is way more than this Pug cost ffs!

Imagine what I could have bought instead if I wanted a well equipped, reliable, safe, impress the neighbors etc etc car!?

Well, the fact is I don’t give a fuck about all that shit because I wanted the Capri and I wanted the Mercury, so that’s where I spent my money!

Strange as it might sound to some people, to some of us cars are not just transport. They’re a hobby and something we just love having for whatever personal reasons and that’s why people spend their money on stuff like this.

Is my Capri worth £20k? No it’s not. But I don’t give two fucks because it’s what I want.

Is the 405 worth £3.5k? Who cares!? It’s buyer decided it was. Fair play to them. I hope they love it and I hope it stays as nice as it is now. It’s almost certainly a toy to that person and not a daily driver but there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that.