3500 grand for a 405? Really?

Partridge

OK, I was watching this on Ebay out of interest. Because being an STdT it's essentially the same spec as mine, basically being an STI with an oil burner and three pedals, so I was curious to see what it went for.

post-5737-0-90283200-1522010101_thumb.jpg

(picture stolen from ebay.)

After creeping up every day that it has been listed for, it's sold for £3,500! This has baffled me. Yes it's a nice car, yes it's a nice colour but how can it be almost four grand's worth of shite? It hasn't been relisted, making me think the sale is genuine.

post-5737-0-53850400-1522010481_thumb.png

Most non Mi16 405s still seem to be neigh on worthless. I'm genuinly interested to see what we all think made this one sell for so much. Part of me is wondering if this will nudge up values for all 405s and start to put the nice ones out of A.S territory :(

Should we be stockpiling them...?

Yes timewaster has probably said he will collect next weekend, that’ll come and go, he may will turn up but will compare it to that that has just left the factory, probably end up leaving it, seller will offer second chance offer by which time those follow up buyers have gone off the boil and only then the car will be relisted....I’m sure....

I don’t even bother selling vehicles via Ebay auctions anymore. A model which only Ebay profit from hence their reluctance to crack down on these timewasters....everytime YOU the seller relists....your throwing more money into their pot....

I've spoke to the seller, he was shocked at the price too but the buyer turned up, was happy, handed the money over and took it home with him!

For something still in "worthless old French car" territory that's an insane amount of money. But if he's spent that kind of cash on it, he's going to look after it!

It's neither madness, nor insane.

Given the rarity and how good these cars are, they will be among the fastest appreciating classics in the immediate future.

All big Peugeots have become collectible, so these won't fare differently. In France, they already enjoy total cult status.

You may imagine that I'm closely following 405 sales and values.

Two years ago I bought my current one for a then insane* 560 Quid. This would merely get you some clapped out

beaten up old heap now. No 2.0 auto has cropped up for sale at all during this period, with the exception of the saloon

I sold back then and which subsequently was bought by StillOrange who I think lost at the cambelt roulette.

Mine had 48k miles on it, it's past 60k now and I have offers in the 3k region from 405ers regularly knocking at my door.

They are superb cars to drive.  I remember at 18 driving my BiL's 405 thinking "these must be shit nobody has them lol".  It was a 2.0 manual and was devine.  

We have a strange way of valuing cars in the UK.  Firstly, they're all cheap compared with parts of mainland Europe.  Secondly, we value them against their contemporaries - when we should consider them against new cars as well as old.  £3500 for a Pug might seem expensive against other Pugs, but in the wider market it isn't the rip off people make out.

As I said elsewhere the other day, people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.  

Don't bemoan prices increasing, just buy one whilst they're still 'cheap'.

I thought this would fetch good money, it was obviously cherished, a diesel, in top spec and had been well photographed and well described (without being too flowery).  Was still astonished it fetched what it did, and even more astonished the buyer apparently paid up.  As others have said, 405s have been very cheap for a long time apart from the odd low mileage diesel or obviously the Mi16, although even these seem to get endlessly relisted.  As they seem to be accepted 'classics' now I don't think it will matter if it's a saloon or estate, they're not going to be bought as a workhorse anymore.  But ironically that's exactly what you can do with them, use them daily, so perhaps people are waking up to that fact.  And of course they are a dream to drive, extremely rust resistant and won't cost a fortune to repair.  

Where that leaves my 2.0 STi auto, which is not much worse than that diesel, is anyone's guess.  Can't believe I'd ever get more than a grand for it as I reckon the diesel is still seen as the iconic and 'classic' design.  Also a bit odd when you see how more modern diesels are faring depreciation wise.

post-117-0-47946300-1522051714_thumb.jpg

To be perfectly honest, even though the price surprised me, if I'd had that sort of cash and wanted a good 405, I probably would have joined in on the bidding. I've actually never driven a diesel example, but much like a few members of this forum I rate the 2 litre auto, it suits the car well.

I do hope to own another some day, and just keep it. They're definitely, across the whole equipment/model spectrum, worth more than they were 12 months back, and a lot of the 405s now appearing for sale aren't beaten up, used as a van, diesel estates. 

They were superb cars and the car in question does look tidy but £3500 sounds a lot to me. Good luck to the guy who sold it, he's made a good number on it by sounds of things. Flip side of same coin though chances of owning one for a reasonable sum has gone down the pan.

Wait on now then for all the 250,000 mile old nails being offered up for insane money now a precedent has been set. 'I kno wat these are worf!'

Simply can't wait until large Renaults start making similar money! Finally - an Autoshite investment I might not make a thumping great loss on when selling!

post-17915-0-79705200-1522065574_thumb.jpg

# nofuckingchancepal  #£100tonite

Does look like a clean 405, mind. If someone had really set their heart on this one (say, same colour and spec as one their dad owned) I can see how the price could have reached that - granted it's brave and pricey for on here, but for a clean secondhand car it's still not a lot of coin to most of the population.

I liked the 405s my employer provided back in the late 90s, there were two estate sales both diesel.

One was the smart vehicle and the other was the manky one for towing and hauling, both went quite well.

However, is there any chance we can change the heading of this topic as nobody paid £3.5million (3,500,000) for a 405!

A car is worth whatever someone is prepared to pay for it, simple as that.

Its value is also related to how fucking stupid some people are. Never underestimate the stupidity of people, and those who think for some bizarre reason that it was better than the car that replaced it. Or the one that replaced that. The seller of this 800 quid Peugeot certainly hasn't.

I too was watching that auction with interest and was pretty shocked it went for that sort of money tbh. I've bought a couple of 405 NAD's over the years, one was a dog but reliable cost £30, the other a very tidy high miler I bought for £70 and sold for £150 with 250,000K on the clock iirc? Both were very good to me, they handle very well and simply eat up the miles.

That sort of led to a moment of madness a while back when I bought this

vBHUdMw.jpg

I paid an awful lot more for it than the other two but it had 37K on the clock and drove like a new car. My reasoning being I didn't think it was going to lose me money if I looked after it and within reason and a bit spent over the years it should easily have 200K miles left in it. Now I'm torn between selling it as I put it over 40K the other day and keeping it as it's such a good car and really in pretty good condition for its age. I'm liking the retroish looks now too, no problem spotting it in a car park that's for sure. One of 6 on the road at the mo and 25ish left total so not much chance of seeing another one on the road!

A very tidy one down London made £1600 or so a few weeks ago and that seemed pretty strong money so the maroon one was a WTF moment. Even more so now I read that it was picked up and paid for! I've been watching prices a bit and they really do seem to be all over the place at the mo.

I've just bought some Dynax s50 and am going to have to bite the bullet at some point and drill the sills.

All I can say is put a range of £3-£3.5K into Ebay fixed price car listings and despair at the parade of dismal shit that sort of money buys you.    Then look at how many nice Peugeot 405s are for sale at less than £1000.    

Those who prefer to buy their cars on the basis of driving, owning and enjoying will not give a shit what somebody who doesn't have the car is "valuing" it at. 

Its not 2001 any  more.

Or a 406 HDi with 60k on the clock for 700 quid which will be £600 when you turn up with another driver and a wedge of notes. Like a low mileage 405 you'd look after it, maintain it and run it into the ground.

The 405 was a great car 30 years ago, not the second coming of Christ.

£3500. You'd need your head feeling.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201803264929989?radius=1500&model=406&postcode=s122fs&advertising-location=at_cars&make=PEUGEOT&sort=price-desc&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&page=2

A car is worth whatever someone is prepared to pay for it, simple as that.

Well, it's worth whatever the sellers willing to let it go for, if the seller valued it at £5k then it wouldn't have been sold.

I only value it at £500, is that what is worth?

It's the seekers possession, his property, he decides the price, full stop. In this case, he did a lot better than he thought!!!!