307SW FIN :(

rainagain

The small things are always the most satisfying! This is why I took as many little silly bits from my old laguna when I still had it for the new one, to save having to obtain it all later (or just not bother, which is what would have happened...)

• 2 weeks later...

I started the 307 recently and the 'whisper quiet' engine was a bit less whispery than normal. It sounded like an Ewok was trapped under the bonnet and was attempting to hammer their way out. I opened the bonnet and found the aux belt tensioner was jumping up and down like an excited child who had just been promised their body weight in chocolate.

A quick google suggested it could either be the aux pulley breaking up or a failure of the one way bearing in the alternator. I used a screwdriver on the alternator's fan to try and get it to freewheel and found it was seized.  Thirty five quid later I had a replacement winging its way to me from ebay

Once the alternator arrived it was time to swap it out, I disconnected the battery and moved onto removing the aux belt. You need to use a 15mm spanner to push the tensioner away from the belt and then insert a 4mm drill, nail, etc to hold it. I was struggling to hold the tensioner back and get my hand in, so enter go go gaffer tape spanner

post-17353-0-78063700-1527578834_thumb.jpg

Removing the alternator was where the fun and games really started. I was hoping to just remove it from the top but Peugeot had other ideas. The wiring connections came off easily enough as did the top bolts. However the bottom bolt required the inner arch liner to be removed. I also had to nip to Halfords for a 24mm deep socket to get the bolt out. 

post-17353-0-33409600-1527579942_thumb.jpg

post-17353-0-05985300-1527579951_thumb.jpg

With the pinch bolt loosened the replacement dropped in ok, I refitted all the other bolts, the new belt and reconnected the battery. Worryingly the first time I tried to start it, it wouldn't start, however it started ok the second time and the tensioner no longer banged up and down. :)

I also painted the brake pipe that the arch liner was cleverly rubbing through

post-17353-0-76904300-1527580423_thumb.png

• 1 month later...

With the hot weather I noticed the air con would stop working when the car stopped moving, Peugeot Planet also reported the fan wasn't working on high speed. A quick google suggested the wiring rather than the fan, the HBOL said you had to remove the bumper to get to the fan wiring, I found I could remove an access plate below the radiator and just about get my hands in to inspect the wiring.

post-17353-0-24718100-1532413570_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Ever since I got the car it had a juddery clutch, I read this could be caused by soft engine mounts. I noticed the lower one felt a bit soft and you could rock the engine by hand. For the sum of just £6.99 I had a replacement from ebay, however the HBOL says you have to remove the O/S driveshaft to get the mount out so you can press in the new mount. Bugger that I thought so I made up the tool shown below which would allow me to change the bush whilst leaving the mount on the car.

post-17353-0-02029400-1534155487_thumb.jpg

I then installed my patented bush pusher in tool and started winding the nut. However it became clear I had vastly underestimated the forces involved as the pieces of steel at either end collapsed. I swapped the end piece for a thick piece of steel that I had cut two holes in to allow me to space it off the mount, this too bent.

post-17353-0-66936400-1534155858_thumb.jpg

I then swapped his for an even thicker piece of steel, this managed to stay straight long enough to wind the bush in. Although as you can see this too ended up badly bent, however it meant I was able to replace the bush without having to go through the fun of draining gearbox oil, splitting ball joints and removing the axle so I'd consider that a big win :)

post-17353-0-73024100-1534156016_thumb.jpg

post-17353-0-88101600-1534156025_thumb.jpg

Whilst I was I down in the pit I thought I'd give it a quick oil change, normally I put a couple of planks across and put the used oil collecting tray on top of these. This time I thought it would be quicker to just have the tray on the floor of the pit, after all what could go wrong?

Oil lots and lots of oil everywhere is what went wrong, but I suppose I don't need to worry about the pit rusting anytime soon.

post-17353-0-16138200-1534156342_thumb.jpg

post-17353-0-21448300-1534156347_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

I fitted the new one and booked into Farmer for an MOT, it only went and passed first time! Just a few advisories...

Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):

• Front Brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened (1.1.14 (a) (ii))
  • Rear Brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened (1.1.14 (a) (ii))
  • Rear Brake pad(s) wearing thin (1.1.13 (a) (ii))
  • Oil leak, but not excessive (8.4.1 (a) (i))
  • both outer sills corroded
  • Nearside Front Tyre worn close to legal limit/worn on edge (5.2.3 (e))
  • Offside Front Tyre worn close to legal limit/worn on edge (5.2.3 (e))
  • Nearside Front Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement (5.3.4 (a) (i))
  • Offside Front Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement (5.3.4 (a) (i))
  • Nearside Rear Axle swivel pins and bushes swivel pin and/or bush slightly worn (5.1.2 ((i))
  • Offside Rear Axle swivel pins and bushes swivel pin and/or bush slightly worn (5.1.2 ((i))
  • towbar corroded

Not sure why it got one for sills as I chopped all the rot out and welded in new metal at FOAD's, maybe ass covering?

I do not know how I have missed this thread.

I too have a 307SW. I never knew these were 7 seats and saw an advert posted up at a shop. I too was looking at larger people carriers.

The advert was also for a green coloured SW. The misses did not like the colour.But it was better than the blue or grey.

Took the car to "my" garage to raise it on the ramps. It was leaking oil and a few other problems. So turned it down.

The the hunt on line. Most cars in Spain are coke powered. Found a 2004 for sale at the nearest stealer. That is an hours drive away!.

It is yellow/gold. At first I was not keen on the colour but now It is the best!.

The history is that it was first owned by Pug in Spain then sold to the wife of this salesman The car had full history and with only 160K kms on the clock It was looking good. That was in 2012.

Been using the car locally and for journeys across Europe.

The car has been quite ok. Not a bit of rust underside. Had the tyres changed, clutch changed to a single fly wheel, injectors rebuilt, usual servicing. The biggest bug-bear is  a rather odd problem with the turbo. "My" garage could not find the problem, but after a few days the stealer thought it was the vacuum valve for the turbo sticking, plus one small pipe was on it's way out. There was one code but this did not show really any issues like I was getting. Part changed and all was well. Until we got our normal August high temps. The fault is a sort on very minor leaping when the engine is at around 2000rpm. And the turbo only cuts in at around 3000 plus. The fault is not constantly there. I now have to find time to get back to the sealer.

I usually get around 4.9L/100km on a run. That is 59mpg. Less on local trips maybe about 5.5l/100km

I have found the local scrappy good to find a replacement luggage cover after I lost the original. I purchased a new drivers door window an mirror switch from Amazon the other day. I purchased extra rear seats from Bart Ebben in the Netherlands. They are the Citroen/Pug breakers for the low countries and will also ship all over Europe.

Oh the owner of the green car phones me 2 months after the viewing to say he had all the problems sorted out. Sorry mate your too late!

Sorry for the high-jack. I will post some more bits to help other 307 owners later.

• 4 weeks later...

For a neat fit, rather than chopping up the factory loom, I cut off the connector from the factory speakers and soldered it to the new speakers this meant I simply needed to plug them in. They made a big difference to the sound quality as expected when replacing 16 year old paper cones!

post-17353-0-24968900-1539681234_thumb.jpg