307SW FIN :(

rainagain

As this was so much fun installing last time, I decided to go for the nuclear option.

post-17353-0-78961200-1550831365_thumb.jpg

Installing this was the proverbial piece of piss once I had the old bush removed. I'm in two minds about removing the washers that come with the bush, I read it reduces the vibration in the cabin which I now have but I'm worried it'll bring back the engine moving around.

post-17353-0-98233300-1550831543_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
When I changed the rear discs and pads I also did a partial fluid change by bleeding fluid through the rear calipers as the fluid looked very dark in the resevoir. I used a Gunson pressure bleed kit to do this, the master cylinder was never allowed to run dry. Sadly after doing this the brakes felt worse.

This weekend I hooked up the pressure bleed kit again and ran the amount of fluid shown in the jar out of each caliper but still the pedal feels spongy.

With the engine off I can pump the brakes until it feels like I'm standing on a big spring, you can never push it to the floor with constant pressure so I'm assuming the master cylinder is ok? With the engine on, putting a constant pressure on the pedal causes it to slowly sink to almost the floor although I've read this might be due to the ACS which mine has.

I'm thinking there must be some air stick somewhere, but where? I read it might be in the ABS unit but others have said this is unlikely unless it was allowed to run dry. 

Anyone got any idea what the problem is?

post-17353-0-12994100-1552293995_thumb.jpg

Just some thoughts

Can air be getting in somewhere?

Have you checked the tightness of hoses into calipers?

Checked the hoses for signs of swelling?

Missing copper washers from somewhere? 

I had air in the lancer brakes till NJGleeds spotted that I had done the caliper hoses up tight enough. 

Just some thoughts

Can air be getting in somewhere? - not sure 

Have you checked the tightness of hoses into calipers? - there's no leaks so I'm assuming I'm ok here, also I didn't disturb them

Checked the hoses for signs of swelling? - I'll try and get my dad to stamp on them whilst I check underneath

Missing copper washers from somewhere?  - there's no leaks so I'm assuming I'm ok here

I had air in the lancer brakes till NJGleeds spotted that I had done the caliper hoses up tight enough. - didn't fluid leak out?

Are the seals on the pressure bleeder sound? - I hooked it up with no fluid to check for leaks before I filled the bottle with fluid to bleed it

Have you tried bleeding manually, or even gravity bleeding? - I think I'll give manual bleeding a try

Is there something you need to do to adjust the handbrake having done the brake work? - not that I know of, I think if it was out of adjustment the pedal would just have a long pedal rather than being spongy 

I had this with my V40, which unfortunately for me I couldnt use the gunson on as the master cylinder had a stupid take off for the clutch. This meant as soon as i pressurised it with the eazibleed it would piss brake fluid everywhere. 

Anyway, i digress. I did one caliper on the Volvo and bled the old fashioned way - never let the master cylinder run dry etc etc and after i was done it was constantly shit. I just couldnt rectify it. I spent about two days rebleeding the caliper and got nowhere. 

someone suggested that air might have got into the other calipers lines somehow, i scoffed as i didnt see it possible. Bled the front left caliper (there is a bleed sequence for each car somewhere) as this was the first one and it cleared it straight away. 

I would suggest air has definitely snuck into the system from somewhere. I was paranoid it was in the ABS unit too, which can happen, but all that happens there if it does is that air from one line can apparently get into the other lines. 

My advice? Bleed in sequence like a champion but use the old fashioned way. You could also find that the gunson is introducing air somehow, maybe through the seals between the master cylinder and the reservoir?

If you wanted to bleed the ABS pump in order to remove it from your enquiries, one trick is find a gravel car park (or similar) and brake hard enough to activate the ABS a few times. On some cars this helps with clearing air from the pump.

Thanks for the replies everyone, I think I have a plan for the win:

1. Leave pedal jammed down overnight

2. find gravel/loose surface and get ABS to kick in a few times

3. Clean up front bleed nipples as they look like extras from the Titanic

4. bleed in sequence using the old fashioned way.

Int he case of my Clio 172, the car needs to be running to bleed it properly if there is air in the ABS pump.

Bleeding whilst running and a few gravel carpark ABS pump cyclings got me an acceptable pedal eventually

I've never heard of that before having to have the engine running, does sound like a french thing though!