307SW FIN :(

rainagain

• rainagain changed the title to 307SW wake up, now with added welding
  • 5 months later...

The wiring for the left hand sensor was fine so I started trying to remove it. Naturally the crappy 5mm hex headed bolt holding it on immediately rounded. I was going to have to remove the calliper and the disc to get to it. I stupidly read a guide online they said the calliper mount was held on with T47 torq bolts. I’d had the mount off a few years ago when I fitted new discs and I’d managed it with the torq bits I already had. None of which were T47. Thinking I just had just gotten lucky I stupidly spent £20 at Amazon for a 5mm impact bit and a T47 torq bit

48B01748-0263-4AD9-951C-EB1980B7BFE1.jpeg

I was able to knock it round with a chisel and unwind it. After cleaning off the rust from the back plate and wiping clean the sensor ring at the back of the bearing, I fitted the new sensor and clipped in its wiring. Then I moved on to the right hand side. The problem here was obvious one of the pins in the connector had broken off. 

E6B0BB6C-2009-4DAE-B094-0A12FEF9C6A4.jpeg

My plan was to cut the connector off the sensor I had just removed and solder it onto the existing sensor rather than going through the hassle of removing it again. Sadly this idea was abandoned as I could not remove the remains of the pin from the car’s socket. The socket was cracked and this seems to be how the water got into it in the first place. The more I tried to pick out the broken pin the more the socket started to fall apart. 

Had it not been seven at night I would have nipped to the breakers and grabbed a socket off another Peugeot, however I had to take the more drastic action of hard wiring the sensor. 

The socket was cut off and the wiring cleaned. This was tricky as the copper was very very oxidised and it took a lot of cleaning and flux to get the solder to stick to it. 7AFFAECB-9591-4AFC-8F23-14AA46F7FBB2.thumb.jpeg.2ea1c02775d8ddc1a3a52c2cb62b21b6.jpeg

• rainagain changed the title to 307SW ABS repair
  • 4 weeks later...

Well folks it’s all over. I was driving to work on the day of storm Eunice. One of the joys of living rural is you’re last on the list of gritting. I came round a corner and found a woman had stopped her car on the road as she couldn’t climb the following hill. I braked and my car spun on the ice. 

I ended up on the right side of the road but facing the wrong way. I started to try and turn it the right way round when a van coming the other way didn’t want to wait for me. Just after he went past I saw a pickup come flying round the same corner I had just spun on at high speed. I just sat there going ‘fuck, fuck, fuck’ as I watched him pinball off the van and then come flying towards me for a head on. 

I remember just thinking this is going to hurt, he then smashed into the front of my car and spun it 90 degrees. 

He got out to check I was ok and told me he was trying to get to the airport before they started closing roads. I asked the van driver if he could go up the road and warn other road users, but he just said he had to get to work and drove off. He didn’t leave any details despite having the side of his van swiped by the pickup. 

Just after the van drove off a car came round the corner and literally skidded to a stop within a metre of the pickup. Despite the damage to my car I managed to limp it home. 

I’m gutted I never managed to get it to 200,000 I was only seven thousand odd short. I was hoping to take my time sorting out my Saab I got from Saabnut but it looks like I’m be fixing this a bit quicker! 

AF2F99E0-B950-40DE-8B7C-1D7B0214B821.jpeg

BC7BFEC7-F423-40AA-8004-565F5E976290.jpeg

• rainagain changed the title to 307SW FIN :(
2 minutes ago, GingerNuttz said:

Sorry to see this but it can be repaired no probs. 

I've pulled a lot worse than that in my time, even if the leg is slightly bent it can still be put right.

The windscreen is gone as well, so I’m worried what else is bent. I’ve told the insurance company they can have it. 

5 minutes ago, GingerNuttz said:

Sorry to see this but it can be repaired no probs

I'd wager it almost certainly isn't worth the time or expense. 

1 minute ago, GingerNuttz said:

12 hours

Charge that at garage rates, you've probably exceeded the car's value before you begin to factor in parts, paint, consumables. 

2 minutes ago, Crackers said:

I'd wager it almost certainly isn't worth the time or expense. 

Charge that at garage rates, you've probably exceeded the car's value before you begin to factor in parts, paint, consumables. 

I doubt many of the cars that have been restored on here or kept on the road are worth the time or expense 😂

Just now, GingerNuttz said:

I doubt many of the cars that have been restored on here or kept on the road are worth the time or expense 😂

I don't disagree, but it's a 200K middle-of-the-road French hatch-state with no redeeming features from the era when Peugeot forgot how to build cars. Sod all point repairing it IMO. 

You alright? Sounds bloody terrifying. Hope insurance isn't a hassle. 

I agree I think you cut your losses with this one and concentrate on the Swede. 

I hate thinking about this sort of accident and it puts me off doing cars up in case I smash them into pieces. 

Just now, grogee said:

You alright? Sounds bloody terrifying. Hope insurance isn't a hassle. 

I agree I think you cut your losses with this one and concentrate on the Swede. 

I hate thinking about this sort of accident and it puts me off doing cars up in case I smash them into pieces. 

It was (pardon my language) fucking terrifying watching the pickup flying towards me knowing there was nothing I could do. 

Insurance are dragging their heels and I still don’t even have a promised hire car yet.