307SW FIN :(

rainagain

The first job I tackled was the ABS sensor, I didn't think there was much point addressing the other problems if I couldn't get this sorted. I purchased Peugeot Planet from AliExpress, the version I got is absolutely riddled with spyware, as I installed I had to keep clicking yes to allow stuff through the windows firewall, sadly there is no way of telling if it's part of the program you are saying yes to or the spyware. As soon as it was installed windows defender started detecting dodgy bits of SW and removing them. The Peugeot Planet part actually worked really well and I read this fault code

post-17353-0-36493800-1521616234_thumb.jpg

I had a 307 2.0HDi 90 hatchback as a hire car the first time I went to Spain in 2003, and thought it was horrid. It handled like a pig on stilts; every time it hit a bump on the way into a corner (typically at the start of one of the many precipitously high viaducts on the Autovia Del Sol) it went into an alarming wobble. Swore there and then I'd never buy one however cheap they got. 

Now I've seen this and I've already had an exploratory search on ebay. Fortunately there are no real bargainous ones at the moment. My objection to the hatchback was that it was far too tall and so rolled far too much, so I can't say that I think putting a heavy glass roof on top of an already too tall car will improve matters :shock: . But that green interior...

When I drove the car home for the first time I noticed there was diesel sloshed all down the side under the fuel cap, this wasn’t there when I picked it up. When you opened the filler flap you could see a pool of diesel round the filler cap as shown.

post-17353-0-73067500-1521704202_thumb.png

I couldn't see much wrong, the pipes from the fuel tank were damp but not dripping, I could see someone had been there before as there was a jubilee clip on the lower on. There was also some surface rust on the inner arch. I did some reading and found the filler pipe assembly was one big one piece (I did initially suspect the breather was blocked and thought I could just change this). Not wanting to pry any further I cleaned up the rust and slapped some Hammerite on and then stuck it all back together.

I did feel a bit silly when I actually started using the car as no more fuel leaked out, I think all that had happened was the previous owner had splashed a ton of diesel round the filler neck and this is what came out on the drive home, doh!

post-17353-0-22122600-1521704841_thumb.jpg

post-17353-0-19126200-1521704843_thumb.jpg

post-17353-0-07916500-1521704845_thumb.jpg

post-17353-0-69459600-1521705153_thumb.jpg

Peugeot planet / lexia is widely acknowledged to be one of the worst forms of computer aids, best thing is to install it in a virtual machine so you have some degree of separation from your normal browsing etc.

Yes, quite difficult to use.I didn't get any malware but my copy always takes 10 minutes to switch off.The trouble is that what you can do through my Delphi clone is very limited so Planet is all I can use that's useful.

Is Peugeot Planet what is used in industry in garages etc, or just what home enthusiasts use? I’ve seen it mentioned quite a lot on the Peugeot forums but never actually downloaded it. I couldn’t actually work out if it was free or if you were supposed to pay for it.

Is Peugeot Planet what is used in industry in garages etc, or just what home enthusiasts use? I’ve seen it mentioned quite a lot on the Peugeot forums but never actually downloaded it. I couldn’t actually work out if it was free or if you were supposed to pay for it.

It’s the proper dealer diagnostic kit. Needs a special interface.

Any downloadable copy or £60 ebay special with the interface is pirate, usually virus ridden and an utter prick to install properly.

The software is a copy of the Peugeot factory software and is run through an interface which joins the car and a laptop.The Citroen version is called Lexia.Normally Planet and Lexia are combined in one programme called Diagbox,which acts as a portal in that you start Diagbox and then choose to use either Planet or Lexia.

The interfaces for sale on eBay are Chinese clones of the PSA factory interfaces.

Next on the to do list was the knocking coming from the front when going over bumps, I had hoped it was the drag links but they were fine, turned out to be the lower ball joints on both sides. Also the front off side wheel bearing was knackered.

I removed the hub and took it to my local friendly garage who for £10 changed the lower ball joint and the bearing which was a bargain. Whilst I had the hub off I noticed the steering rack gaiter was broken, I managed to find one at Eurocarparts that weekend and had it fitted. I used a tip online and used a jubilee clip to secure the larger end of the gaiter as access is a nightmare but your can just fit a socket in on a wobbly extension.

post-17353-0-68222700-1521799366_thumb.jpg

post-17353-0-23976400-1521799369_thumb.jpg

post-17353-0-04158800-1521799371_thumb.jpg

post-17353-0-20679300-1521799373_thumb.jpg

Well done on getting the garage to change the ball joints.It takes a lot of heaving.

Yes that inner clip is difficult,so I did the same as you.I found out afterwards that you can get cheap clic pliers on eBay for the clips,I bought a pair as they are also on fuel lines and egr valves on a lot of PSA stuff.

I went to change the ball joint on the other side (near side) but when I tried to undo the hub nut it was so tight my 1/2" extension broke. It was then (probably after hearing the swearing) that my dad very kindly offered to pay for a local garage (not the same one that I mentioned previously) to carry out the change and he would pay for it. I don't normally like other people working on my cars but I was A knackered by this time and B had no way of getting the hub nut off so I agreed. The work was carried out for the cost of two hours labour.

When I changed the off side ball joint I had also dismantled and cleaned the brake calipers and sliders, when I got the car back from the garage the following weekend I thought I would do that side as well, it was then that I found the garage had damaged the new ball joint as can clearly be seen by the grease coming out the hole they made in the boot. I know mistakes happen so I texted the mechanic to ask if he noticed it when he was changing it, but I got nothing back. I then went online and ordered two new boots and again texted the mechanic with the offer if I supply the boots and give him a hand could we swap it over next weekend on his ramp, again no reply.

The boots arrived the following week and I decided to just do it myself, after a lot more hammering than I thought it would take to dissemble a recently disturbed joint I got the ball joint separated. It was then I discovered that the boots I had ordered despite saying they would fit, didn't. Luckily I had the boot off the other side that even though the ball joint was knackered the boot was ok so I fitted that.

This just reinforces to me why I don't like other people working on my cars.

post-17353-0-18436600-1521801139_thumb.jpg

Well done on getting the garage to change the ball joints.It takes a lot of heaving.

Yes that inner clip is difficult,so I did the same as you.I found out afterwards that you can get cheap clic pliers on eBay for the clips,I bought a pair as they are also on fuel lines and egr valves on a lot of PSA stuff.

I did spend a few hours trying drift the old ball joint out whilst holding the hub in the vice, the guy in the garage ended up putting a torch on it followed by a massive impact gun.

I did spend a few hours trying drift the old ball joint out whilst holding the hub in the vice, the guy in the garage ended up putting a torch on it followed by a massive impact gun.

Sure,I know the feeling.Last time I did one of these I used a 6ft scaffold pole over my 3/4" t bar, and once or twice I've cut across the ball joint with a big angle grinder as close to the hub as I dared.Whats left generally is loosened enough by the heat to drift out with a chisel.

I think a big-ass impact gun makes a lot of these jobs easier as well, because the shock loading just pops stuff apart. I tried to change the front brakes on my new daily a couple of weeks ago but the caliper bolts were simply too tight for the access I had. For the rears I'm going to borrow my mate's impact gun before choosing to send another £120 in the direction of my local garage, because I can't see any signs of struggle that merited that much labour on their part.