307SW FIN :(

rainagain

I bought a 2003 2.0 hdi 110bhp SW SE 7 seater with working climate control and full MOT for £450 from Lincolnshire just over a year ago.

170k Miles. Immaculate bar a couple of small scuffs and one tiny bit of burnt headlining from someone putting a fag out of the window. Despite that it didn’t smell at all of smoke and the ashtray was unused. CD multiplayer and reversing sensors both inoperative, so disconnected.

I fitted a matching set of part worn Michelin Alpin 5 from Germany to it that transformed the ride. Replaced the thermostat (running cool) both drop links and a front wheel bearing and it’s now on 182k. Oh, and one balljoint. You need a special 41mm long socket that’s been useful for a few other things since I bought one a few years ago to use on a 90bhp estate I had for a while. I use lots of heat/quench prior to using either a long (like four foot) bar or the aforementioned Clarke mains impact wrench. It does work most of the time!

Loaned it to a friend for the last nine months. I managed 43mpg, he gets 48 and it’s quite rapid if you want it to be.

When you’re seven-up there’s not a lot of room for anything other than the odd coat or small bag though, but suits my need for carrying five children once in a while. Might have carried nine adults in it once too, off the public highway of course!

I like it. Will get it back soon. I’ve bought a LuK solid flywheel/clutch kit for £160 which I’ll fit soon as the flywheel is very squeaky now. Will do engine mounts and probably gear cables too as floppy.

post-20735-0-67378700-1521834253_thumb.jpeg

post-20735-0-68221700-1521834396_thumb.jpeg

post-20735-0-64051400-1521834611_thumb.jpeg

post-20735-0-82367800-1521834677_thumb.jpeg

post-20735-0-70616700-1521834760_thumb.jpeg

Only the brave go for the 1.6 even though it’s more economical. The number of very cheap (and newer) 1.6hdis around tells a story. All that stuff is well documented here and elsewhere though!

I averaged 48mpg in my hard-driven 2.0 90bhp Peugeot Partner over 30k Miles (now on 247k). Conversely my old 206 SW dturbo 2.0hdi 90 struggled to better 43mpg, though that’s supposedly a sportier fuelling map.

I should add that driving a 307 is different compared to an older style Peugeot. The twist-beam tear suspension is cheaper to make and doesn’t flow along roads like the older torsion bar as on 305/306/Berlingo/Partner/405 etc. On an SW the rear springing is harder to accommodate the glass roof and the potential of extra bodies in the boot (live ones, that is) and it is a bit crashy when unladen.

At the front end it’s also more ‘modern’, with lower profile tyres, little or no roll and less steering feel, though the latter is still pretty good. Hydraulic assistance still. You appreciate the additional headroom over a 306.

I like these, sister in law had one and didn't have one bit of trouble with it apart from the floppy indicator trouble. Always seem quite tidy for the age as well, you just don't see rusty ones. At all.

The diesel is extremely prone to burning the clutch/dmf out quick though. 1.6 petrol probably best bet if you are spending big insane amounts like a grand on one.

Yes my one had a sill scrape through the stonechip when bought two years ago and the metal is still bright.They are not a bad car but not very inspiring and they have lost the comfortable ride that the 306/405/406 had.Still better than a Mk5 Golf though.(not difficult)

I bought a 2003 2.0 hdi 110bhp SW SE 7 seater with working climate control and full MOT for £450 from Lincolnshire just over a year ago.

170k Miles. Immaculate bar a couple of small scuffs and one tiny bit of burnt headlining from someone putting a fag out of the window. Despite that it didn’t smell at all of smoke and the ashtray was unused. CD multiplayer and reversing sensors both inoperative, so disconnected.

I fitted a matching set of part worn Michelin Alpin 5 from Germany to it that transformed the ride. Replaced the thermostat (running cool) both drop links and a front wheel bearing and it’s now on 182k. Oh, and one balljoint. You need a special 41mm long socket that’s been useful for a few other things since I bought one a few years ago to use on a 90bhp estate I had for a while. I use lots of heat/quench prior to using either a long (like four foot) bar or the aforementioned Clarke mains impact wrench. It does work most of the time!

Loaned it to a friend for the last nine months. I managed 43mpg, he gets 48 and it’s quite rapid if you want it to be.

When you’re seven-up there’s not a lot of room for anything other than the odd coat or small bag though, but suits my need for carrying five children once in a while. Might have carried nine adults in it once too, off the public highway of course!

I like it. Will get it back soon. I’ve bought a LuK solid flywheel/clutch kit for £160 which I’ll fit soon as the flywheel is very squeaky now. Will do engine mounts and probably gear cables too as floppy.

Nice, better colour than mine as well! 

But of course this is a French car so to get to the bleed screw on the pipes going to the heater matrix you have to remove the battery. Once this was bleed through, I used a 2 litre bottle with some electrical tape on the neck to act as a seal to fill the header tank. Ran the engine up to get rid of any air locks and I now have a temperature gauge that happily sits at 80. Well it did most of the time apart from when it randomly read nothing so I changed the sender and that sorted that problem.  

post-17353-0-45820800-1522044361_thumb.jpg

post-17353-0-31498000-1522045731_thumb.png

Nice, better colour than mine as well!

I like your colour too - I think my colour (KSU code - Oakland Green) was only sold in 2003 or so as I’ve only ever seen a couple.

On the thermostat front, I’ve changed them on every HDI I’ve bought as they all seem to run cool with age.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to see one of these for sale today:

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2004-04-PEUGEOT-307-SW-2-0-HDi-90-SE-ESTATE-Runs-Drives-No-MOT-SPARES-REPAIRS/152917649273

Being sold by a trader in Mansfield. I am inspired by this thread and have been keeping my eye on these on eBay and FB market place, this ones been on ebay for about 3 weeks now.

Looks quite smart in the photos and the engine drone doesnt seem like a big deal as I would do the cambelt on it anyway if I took it on.

Anyway I found the place and the guy fired it up for me, but I just looked at it for 2 mins and said 'nah, dont want to waste your time, its just not for me'

Basicaly It was just a little too rough generally. The drivers side had half a dozen scrapes on it and the paint on the front wing had gone funny. Theyre placca wings so wont take much mopping, so really the wing would need repainted. He started it up and sure enough it was droning from the belt end, but i am sure a cambelt swap would fix it, either a cambelt or aux belt tensioner or whatever. The engine was grubby but did not appear to have been attacked by a cable tie & scotchlock merchant.

Its got no ticket and needs a refill of Eolys juice to get the messages off the dashboard at the very least, and it looked like it was sitting a little low at the front so might have had a broken spring.

Anyway at £450 I said no thanks, and have not regretted that decision! I think a £180 Stilo with another £150 chucked at it for a general going-over feels like a better bet.

The ad says it’s a 90 but the warnings spoke of dpf - quick check says sure enough it’s a 110.

The aux pulleys/tensioner pulley and best come to a fair chunk (like £80 from my factors for an INA kit?) on the HDI. The overrunning alternator pulley might be seized too, causing vibes in the belt. They’re very sweet once sorted but can take some commitment, as the refurb of a few Berlingo/Partner HDIs has taught me. Great if the car’s a keeper and you’re doing the miles.

I went to see one of these for sale today:

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2004-04-PEUGEOT-307-SW-2-0-HDi-90-SE-ESTATE-Runs-Drives-No-MOT-SPARES-REPAIRS/152917649273

Being sold by a trader in Mansfield. I am inspired by this thread and have been keeping my eye on these on eBay and FB market place, this ones been on ebay for about 3 weeks now.

Looks quite smart in the photos and the engine drone doesnt seem like a big deal as I would do the cambelt on it anyway if I took it on.

Anyway I found the place and the guy fired it up for me, but I just looked at it for 2 mins and said 'nah, dont want to waste your time, its just not for me'

Basicaly It was just a little too rough generally. The drivers side had half a dozen scrapes on it and the paint on the front wing had gone funny. Theyre placca wings so wont take much mopping, so really the wing would need repainted. He started it up and sure enough it was droning from the belt end, but i am sure a cambelt swap would fix it, either a cambelt or aux belt tensioner or whatever. The engine was grubby but did not appear to have been attacked by a cable tie & scotchlock merchant.

Its got no ticket and needs a refill of Eolys juice to get the messages off the dashboard at the very least, and it looked like it was sitting a little low at the front so might have had a broken spring.

Anyway at £450 I said no thanks, and have not regretted that decision! I think a £180 Stilo with another £150 chucked at it for a general going-over feels like a better bet.

Been up for sale for quite a while. Looked at a fair few motors over past two weeks and I think that had a chequered MOT history.

• 1 month later...

Imagine if you had a small hole in your sill and rather than having it welded up you instead smashed in the sill and filled it with blue towel and fibre glass. Imagine if you also though it would be a good idea to fill over the drain hole, thus ensuring the sill was constantly filled with water which was held against the remaining steel courtesy of the blue towel.

If someone then drilled a hole through this mess this would happen

post-17353-0-26522200-1526472561_thumb.png