Cheapest way to insure multiple chod

Vince70

I think my Rover 400 will cost a few quid to get through its MOT this year but I’ve got a backup of Two nice E36 BMWs and a Z3 but the problem is the insurance as really I need multicar as the cars just don’t get any use.

The plan is to tax one car a couple of months at a time so all get used next year and wondered if anyone else has been in the same situation and the cheapest alternatives for insurance.

Footman James were £400 for me for:

1986 Sierra

1996 Astra

1967 Viva

with commuting.  And I'm 52 with totally clean licence and all that, and my wife not on the policy.  That was a renewal - which I haven't yet renewed - perhaps I should approach them cold and see if they can do better.  I'd be really happy with around £200.

Took a few years to do, but have got two sets of full no claims policy (alternated between Dave and David for the insurance, bit of a faff but all worked out)

Now have two direct line policies, DL allows changes to cars without admin fees. Also you can add temp cars to the policy.

So far has worked out quite well,  (added the jeep for March due to the OMGSK, just need the storage for the other cars not being used)

Only downside to this is they are not insured when stored, but only cheap and cheerfuls. (also immobilsed when stored).

Just another option.

Cheers

DL got a bit sniffy when I tried to add a second car temporarily to my Policy. First time they let me do 30 days, next time only a day.  They mentioned 'you aren't trading are you'.....yeah in 1993 broken Mondeo's and Skoda Favorits lol!!

DL got a bit sniffy when I tried to add a second car temporarily to my Policy. First time they let me do 30 days, next time only a day.  They mentioned 'you aren't trading are you'.....yeah in 1993 broken Mondeo's and Skoda Favorits lol!!

DL have finally gone online,sYou can do all changes of car and temp additions without speaking to anyone.

On the temp car front, they even put eg courtesy car, so have used that a few times

Footman James can be a bit random 

FJ refused classic cover (over the phone) on the 1996 Rover 400 diesel.

But would cover a 1996 Rover 400 petrol.

So I tried a game with the online quoting system and found out that the declared value made a difference:  At £750 computer said no, whereas at £1200 computer said yes.  So I got the quote number at £1200 and then rang them up again.  Lass on the phone was not happy as her computer (and underwriter behind the scenes she kept going off to chat to) still said no, with the supervisor coming on stating 'we wouldn't consider a Rover diesel as a classic'.  In the end they reluctantly agreed to accept the online quote and put it though as I was adding other cars to it.

Called Footman James to try and get the Junkman Range Rover insured, and they refused me cover!!! 

Ring Peter Best.  

At renewal I left Footman James.  Renewal went 25% higher, also they played games by bumping up the mandatory excess 

Footman James were £400 for me for:

1986 Sierra

1996 Astra

1967 Viva

with commuting. And I'm 52 with totally clean licence and all that, and my wife not on the policy. That was a renewal - which I haven't yet renewed - perhaps I should approach them cold and see if they can do better. I'd be really happy with around £200.

Try adding the wife on. Adding mine (or when younger adding parents even if different address) has reduced every insurance quote I've ever had, even if she never actually drives the car.

Insurance is a fickle mistress that follows no known logic.  I have two cars on 'normal' policies and the cheapest way I could do it was on a multicar policy.  If you have had no accidents or convictions in the last 3 years then Admiral will mirror your NCB I believe (I had had an accident in that time when I took the policies out so I didn't get that)  However there is a catch!  Multicar policies are really just two separate policies that share the same renewal date, they have separate no claims, invoices, policy schedules, certificates etc etc.  I probably save a few quid by doing it that way over two separate policies elsewhere, but that's about it. 

But, one way they are intrinsically linked is that by being on a multicar policy each car gets menial discount.  So lets suppose you change one of the cars mid term and they come back with a ludicrous quote, if you turn round and say fk that I will take that car elsewhere to insure it, this also affects every other car on the policy - because their discount is directly related to the number of vehicles on it.  It may end up that by moving one car elsewhere the other car increases significantly because it reverts to a single car premium.

So they all end up tangled in this multicar web, even though the savings are minimal.  I am considering ditching it and going back to separate policies.

i had the insurance woes for years...three policies ..one for my classics one for my modern and one for my commercial..in the end i got a trade policy much simpler and cheaper..they still try it on every other year by bumping the premium up...so i swop to another company then back again two years late when the new company tries to bump it

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve been in touch with Footman James today and the quote for an E36 Ti and a Z3 plus and E36 1.8 cabriolet came in at around £670 for a bare bones policy with a limited mileage of 7000 across all 3 cars but for that I wasn’t able to drive it legally to and from work.

So my Ti I might just renew with the AA is £148 and keep my Z3 with Peter best which was around £140 last year and see if I can sway privilege to insure the cabriolet E36 for a month here or there on a monthly basis plus that way I keep my full no claims having one car on a standard policy.

But I’ve just tried Admiral multicar and that’s coming in at £491 for all three motors so I’m not sure if I should just go for that now and that’s 5000 miles on the Ti and 3000 on the zed then 2000 miles on the cabriolet.

Just Reinsured the MV6 and the MX5

Renewals were thus:

Aviva had wanted £480 for MV6 and Performance direct had wanted £140 for the MX5

I didn't give either the option of price matching, I just walked when I saw how far out they were in %age terms.

(I would stay if they are within 5% of their competitors)

Ended up with Direct line at £301 (And I added 5K extra to my estimated miles to take it to 23K a year) and Lancaster at £128  (Close but not close enough)

I just phoned up Admiral to see if it was possible to get it any cheaper and the bloke on the phone managed to get all 3 BMWs insured at just over £300 as he put my no claims across all 3 cars as an introduction offer so I’m more than happy with the price.

So roll on May when I will be out of the winter Chod

I’ve got a traders policy with Think Insurance. Had it for 5 years, they’ve always tried to add 250£ to the renewal each year, and this year being no different apart from the excuse (government adding 15% tax, wankers) but will happily beat a quote from elsewhere. Boils my piss that does. I’ve been looking at insuring all my cars separate to try and save some coin, but I really hate shopping for insurance. I’d rather stick with one company to save me the hassle of arguing with jumped up profit merchants over the phone, and with my cars ranging from 85-2005, some multicar policies won’t cover the old stuff.

Aren't traders policies horribly pricey though?

Cheapest quote ive got so far is a touch over £1100. 

So far ive got the landrover discovery and my carlton quoted on two seperate policies for £600, if I can get the other discovery and the Mercury for less than £450 then I'll probably do it all seperate.