The Autoshizzle bASe roll call

Felly Magic

Well we know there is the Holy Ace Of bASe grey grille, what other base models are in the autoshite family? Our mk3 Mondy is in the lowest spec, but it's loaded with kit so it clearly isn't buttery at all. FOAD has a bASe Lada Riva as only 1 trim was available then, and captain 70s has just bought a bASe Honumph Acclade too, so over to you bASe shiters to check in

I've got a Tempra S 1.9D.

All round manual windows.

Dials non illuminated.

Has a manual pump adjustment plunger for reducing 'opaque emissions'. Never seen one before.

Massive storage hole in dashboard which would be filled in higher spec cars.

It's nothing compared to some of the others but it's someone brassic bought that new.

Early mk2 Capris had wing mounted mirrors IIRC too, your Capri is seriously lickable Dan

Some did, but there was also a tiny handful that got a unique type of door mirror. Only fitted to the Capri mk2 from start of production in Jan 74 up to Nov 74. Mine should have one of these mirrors on the drivers side only.

It’s missing though sadly, having been replaced by standard mk2 mirrors instead.

The correct ones are very hard to find now but are similar to mk1 Capri door mirrors.

EX was the entry level for the Nippa.

28168731_10156217477493200_1834969945218

By 2001, that got you a rear wiper, as well as the digital clock. No PAS, no electric windows or mirrors, no central locking (other than that you can easily reach every door from the driver's seat). Easily the most simple car you could buy in 2001.

I've got a Tempra S 1.9D.

All round manual windows.

Dials non illuminated.

Has a manual pump adjustment plunger for reducing 'opaque emissions'. Never seen one before.

Massive storage hole in dashboard which would be filled in higher spec cars.

It's nothing compared to some of the others but it's someone brassic bought that new.

Non-illuminated Speedo is an MOT failure-it must be broken.

post-5233-0-34623700-1520878800_thumb.jpg

post-5233-0-29026000-1520878873_thumb.jpg

According to wikipedia (so it must be true) my Saab 900i 2 door saloon is the base spec car of the range.

It has wind up windows,no sunroof,air con or abs and still has the older eight valve engine fitted.

It came to me with and was originally fitted with pressed steel wheels with stainless trims too.

Prices lists from when it was new also put this spec at the bottom of the pile.

I have an entry level 2006 Citroen Picasso ( which seems to have undergone some sort of Project Drivesq cost cutting, like deleting the nick nack holder from the fuse box lid and replacing the spring clips from the passenger seat to T20 Torx bolts so accessing the battery now takes 20 mins rather than 2)

No air con

Keepy fit windows

ONE ( count it) electric mirror and one manual one.

Two speakers in the front only. Empty grills in the back.

No fittings for (let alone a) Citroen shopping trolley.

The ex Krujoe 106d is a Graduate model. I don't know if that was the base model but it should be, it didn't even have a lighter or intermittent wipers. It does have a sunroof which appears to be a dealer/importer fit type thing.

no the std XN was base- XN graduate got tape stripes, pop-up sun roof & carpet mats

early ones didn't have clock, 954cc had no rear wiper whereas 1.1 & 1.4d did

n13 nissan sunnay is badged as a 1.4L but v5 states 1.4 premium- very buttery biscuit base

no:

• rev counter
  • clock
  • e/w
  • c/l
  • pas
  • remote mirrors
  • remote boot release
  • rear wash/wipe
  • wheel trims
  • door rubbing strips
  • tinted glass

yes:

• 4+1 wheels
  • steering
  • windows
  • seats
  • inverse dangle mirrors
  • 5 speed gearbag
  • 12 valves= many* bhps

extras:

• towbar
  • metalic paint

To be fair, everything I've ever driven back to 60s stuff has had some sort of light in the speedo, otherwise how would you know how fast you're going at night? That does sound broken - and not everything has a dimmer.

Do they actually check them at MOT though? They're sometimes quite hard to make out in the daytime!

To be fair I wouldn't be surprised if it was broken. The indicators on the wings don't work either....

Oh my AX is also a base model. The Debut was the replacement for the slightly uninspired sounding 10E. Manual choke on a K plate, no electric anything.