Little Green MGF - oh balls.

purplebargeken

Starter motor was swapped with loads of help from my mate. It was a slightly hassley job but not too bad in the scheme of things. 

Battery reconnected, key turned............ a very faint click from the rear end but no roaring into life as we were anticipating.

Bugger.

Battery was good, it was fully charged and ready to go.

The starter motor that came with the car was used but presumed good.

Just wondering as to alternative issues, perhaps broken earth strap. Just got to work out where that is lol.

Bit disappointed but will be investigated further. Any other ideas?

Drop testing is the way you can test a battery, a car battery can make 12v but may be weak on the CCA (cold cranking amps), drop testing is applying a load to the battery to check that it is producing enough CCA. The old way of testing was by a machine like a set of prongs that set on the terminals with a dial to test the battery, but the garage I use has a all singing dancing electronic version.

In my old caddy it gradually got worse starting even though the battery made 12v, tested it, fucked. Another warranty return for ecp. New battery happy days.

I now have a list of all the earth point locations, there are quite a few! Will see if I can rig up an earth between the body and the engine too.

At least my last used 10+ years ago 110v lighting rig worked perfectly. I was so pleased as it would have been a nightmare trying to do the starter motor swap otherwise.

Quick update. I took off and cleaned the 3 earth points at the front of the car.  A couple were a little manky but not horrible. I also used a starter pack on the battery, just in case. No joy at all.

Earth cleaning abandoned due to no feeling in hands.

Monday or Tuesday will see further input. 

There are a couple of earth points in the engine compartment. I will also rig up a temp earth between the engine and the body of the car to see if that makes a difference.

I can't be that unlucky as to have two non-functioning starter motors, surely.

An interesting day. Jack of this parish popped over and we scooter brake fettled to good effect. Scooter fun ensued.

Jack helped turn the mgf around so as to make it easier to work on. Jack suggested that it would be good to have a quick check on the wiring to the starter. He had a multimeter at home but had a small led version with him. He checked the little lead that fastened by spade connector. The 12v supply was there but the connector was filthy. A brief clean and that was enough to have the car roar into life!!

An interesting day. Jack of this parish popped over and we scooter brake fettled to good effect. Scooter fun ensued.

Jack helped turn the mgf around so as to make it easier to work on. Jack suggested that it would be good to have a quick check on the wiring to the starter. He had a multimeter at home but had a small led version with him. He checked the little lead that fastened by spade connector. The 12v supply was there but the connector was filthy. A brief clean and that was enough to have the car roar into life!!

Next stop MOT!

I really can't wait to get this on the road again. I'm glad that Jon was able to keep the car in a barn type environment, I think that this made a major step to keeping it pretty much intact. 

Must remember to get the bumper, wheel and spare key............... note to self!!!

With those issues, more like 400 to 450 tbh, flog the hard top for 150 to 200.

Do the car up and have a good hoon.

Do you mean that the strut tops won't have been fixed properly, just tarted up? She did say that the sills maybe a bit rusty too. I think you are right with £350 ish. These are so cheap aren't they.

They are cheap indeed. 500 quid is waaay too much. Although as said, you could recoup a fair chunk with flogging the hard top and luggage rack. The repairs could well have been done properly.

Take some piccies and chuck them up here and we can see what's what then :0