AutoShite MUG roffle - £2 a go / max 2 no. / Hendry fund

Eddie Honda

Jump down to post for details:

http://autoshite.com/topic/31250-potential-autoshite-mug-roffle-details-to-be-decided-first/page-2?do=findComment&comment=1448442

[split-off from the What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread]

A box arrived for me this afternoon...

post-19900-0-26937800-1520553006_thumb.jpg

I need to think of a what to do with these...

post-19900-0-05321700-1520529034_thumb.jpg

post-19900-0-73183900-1520529052_thumb.jpg

[Five arrived, I'm keeping one. So four spare. Competition or something?]

Roffle?

....if so, I'll have number 26 and a random.

Roffle is a good idea - first three numbers drawn and the bonus ball or something?

Swap for a NZ mug with either a fan tail a tui or s pukeko on it?

Mug roffle would be good and better for domestic relations...

Mug Roffle? I'm in!

Deffo up for a mug roffle.

I knocked the handle off my Belle & Sebastian mug (owned since 1999) the other week, and only the outside chance of winning a gen-yew-ine AutoShite mug might dry my copious salty tears.

I'm down to only my Haynes Cortina III mug, or else ones with cats on.

34 and 18, please!!

Spreadsheet for mug roffle numbers, please!

Ok, the back-story on these...

Having spend a load of dosh with Vistaprint on buying in 66 calendars on 22nd January, I was given a voucher:

You received £30 Vistaprint Cash with this order.

Come back to redeem 14/02/2018 - 25/02/2018. (We'll email you a reminder.)

As you can see, I couldn't redeem it immediatedly against anything and if I didn't use it I'd lose it. I was however able to use it in conjunction with some other offers, so at the 11th hour of the voucher validity I ordered 5 mugs gratis (came to about £27, so lost balance of £30) but had to pay the P&P (slowest option £5.24)

Before any roffle can take place, I need to resolve the following:

a) An economical way of shipping them from Ireland to wherever. [An Post will give me a right dry bumming]

B) Determine the mechanics of the roffle - e.g. restricting entrants in the number of tickets they can buy as I might as well just sell them if someone decides they want to corner the market in mugs and "brute-force" the roffle.

c) Determine how best to cover the cost of the roffle. Yes the mugs didn't cost me, but the postage costs may be a sticking point (see point (a) again) and if anything I need to make this break even. I particularly interest to hear of low-cost methods of collecting micropayments rather than PayPal getting rich with fat cuts.

d) There could always be another run of something similar at some point in the future if the economic distribution part of the conumdrum could be solved. Any thoughts on this would welcome. Perhaps a future Shitefest attendee gift/group buy or something.

So there are 4 mugs available? How would a free roffle work, first 59 takers get a random number each, and with the proviso that if they win they cover the postage costs? Could be first 4 numbers drawn from the next draw, or bonus ball staggered over 4 draws?

Sounds logical to me. 

If there's no massive rush to get them posted, would you happen to be up Newry way at some stage to drop them off at the Post Office over the border, as per the calendars? Or was that a special trip to avoid An Post?

Paying postage sounds fair enough to me - is it international exchange rate charges that cause bother with PayPal?

and with the proviso that if they win they cover the postage costs?

Depends how much the postage runs to.

If there was some way of collecting say 50p-a-head then the postage could be covered and any surplus going to the hosting coffers.

would you happen to be up Newry way at some stage to drop them off at the Post Office over the border, as per the calendars? Or was that a special trip to avoid An Post?

That was a special trip both time due to time sensitive nature of calendars. Besides the way work runs have been scheduled for me at the moment, I have escaped local runs and got up to Belfast for quite some time.

is it international exchange rate charges that cause bother with PayPal?

Nope, I take in Sterling on my UK account, but if someone was gifting 50p, then PayPal may want (depending on source of funds) an additional 22p which isn't much in absolute total I know, but a massive 44% in percentage terms.

PayPal have been touting some sorta 'Friend Pool' payment system to me for a while now - something to do with getting small payments from multiple people, which sounds like it might apply here.

Don't think I've ever been charged a fee when receiving a small Friends & Family payment - though have regularly been wiped out by listing and PayPal fees when selling 49p cassettes via Discogs, so I hears ya... if there's a way around that, then the 50p tickets idea may be a runner, to cover postage from ROI.

If I don't win one in a raffle, can I go to my nearest Vistaprint and order one using some kind of reference number?

My desperate need for a very cool new work mug makes me interested in this as well!

A quick google suggests they don't actually get cheaper on the vista print website buying decent numbers of them so probably no real use doing a mass group buy?

Postage update, this is provisional as I think the mug boxes should really be packaged in a secondary box which may tip it over 500g:

Anpost standard / national / packet / up to 500g = €5.25 (£4.68)

Anpost standard / GB, EUR, RoW / packet / up to 500g = €6.25 (£5.57)

Royal Mail 1st class / UK / packet / small parcel / up to 1000g = £3.40 / £3.35 (online)

Royal Mail 2nd class / UK / packet / small parcel /  up to 1000g = £2.90 / £2.82 (online)

So across 59 tickets between 20 to 38p in postage alone.

To try and answer some points made since last post:

1. Yes, I'm in the RoI, but I do make it across occasionally, so if there is no rush, I can bring these with me sometime and use RM. Next trip is pencilled in for the 23rd-25th March (Perth via Glasgow). After that I'm not 100%, but possibly sometime in April.
  2. Surplus to Hendry fund is a good suggestion.
  3. £3 each is no problem, but £2.50 or £2.00 might be a better "value balance" (between mug v donation)
  4. 2 ticket per person limit.
  5. There are no bulk quantity price breakpoints with Vistaprint on these wraparound mugs. The full price is £8.87 per mug. Like ECP there are always offers as this "£44.33" was part 40% discount, and paid with vouchers £30. I reckon an individual UK order on a discount offer would cost around £8.50 delivered, but full price around £12. We can worry about about this after the roffle.
I'm not going to push the roffle start button YET. I'll leave this open to suggestions/refinements a bit longer.

I'm more than happy with the details as outlined above. Don't mind waiting as long as necessary for Royal Mail postage, and feel the Hendry memorial fund is a worthy recipient of any surplus - good thinking.

Count me IN, gentlemen.

34 and 18 please, as and when!