Till salu: Volvo 740 GLE, £1000 ono

Ghosty

I'm thinking of selling my 740. It's been a great car to me but I'm really starting to feel like I want a change I've bought a Prelude.

I've got my eye on something on eBay that's equally bad on fuel, but a hell of a lot more stylish*. Also, I want an airier cabin...

As such, provided I can get the car I want, would anyone be interested in my Volvo?

This is tentative, and not going on eBay etc - if I can get a quick sale to buy the car I want that'd be great, but if I can't get it for any reason I'll need to keep the Volvo until something else comes up. I'll sell it for the right car though.

• 1987 Volvo 740 GLE 2.3 automatic estate
  • as advised by CMS, this is the best combination of trim, engine, gearbox etc
  • 176000 miles
  • MOT to 28th June
  • D832YHG for the MOT history.

The car has a bucketload of service history with it, documenting most of its life.

The good:

• all electrics work, except the dash dimmer. 
  • body straight, no dents. Paint has a few marks here and there and a bit has been badly touched up by the sunroof.
  • 2 wheels away being powdercoated, could do the other two to match if buyer wishes. The car comes with 3 spare wheels, the factory ones and two black 240 steels.
  • interior trim is almost completely intact
  • new rear light clusters
  • new sidelight/indicator units. One has a small hole made by a stone in it unfortunately.
  • self levelling rear suspension seems to work, and isn't Nivomat.
  • 4 nearly new Avon tyres.
  • 5 keys
  • towbar
  • retrofitted transmission cooler
  • HBOL, brochures etc included

The bad:

• brakes. Don't know if I'll have time to fit them or not but there are two recon calipers to be fitted to the rear of the car soon, if the car sells before they can be fitted they'll be included, cost £120 from Rock Auto. Front caliper is slightly sticky, think it just needs the piston properly pushing in. A vacuum hose needs replacing but that will be sorted soon.
  • sunroof tilts but doesn't slide, the weatherstrip is rotten and disintegrating, and the roof doesn't sit flush on the outside. It does seal though and doesn't leak. However there's a bit of rust inside the aperture that needs treating, the sunroof needs to either be retracted or dropped out to treat it.
  • on a related note the headlining is fucked.
  • slightly melted fusebox around the fuel pump fuse, no idea what's going on but doesn't affect car's functionality.
  • ATF might need changing soon.
  • Diff seal leaks, needs a new gasket making (will possibly sort if there's time)
  • starter is on a push button (key still needed), has been like that for much longer than I've had the car. Not really an issue just something to know.
  • coolant leak, needs topping up now and then.

That's all I can think of really, the car is fundamentally sound, and can be driven away, test drives are welcome, etc etc.
It cleans up wonderfully.

I'm pricing this at £1000, in the hope I'll get a reasonable offer. It really is a tidy car and will do someone wonderfully with minimal work.

Car is located in east Manchester a couple of miles from J23 M60 and the M67.
Will swap for an XJ40 or other interesting automatic. Ability to carry bicycles a bonus.

Picture time:

37210342285_a24fbde057_c.jpg

36066236404_b07bde3ebe_c.jpg

39332790764_2a9e8f37af_c.jpg

24532220998_1e9ff0b730_c.jpg

27951293539_19c51a4796_c.jpg

35613254634_afa7f09d3b_c.jpg

36309992561_30cd1d31b9_c.jpg

Seriously, looks a bargain that, would love to take it off your hands but I can't! I'd cheerfully swap it for my Rover convertible, but someone's fallen in love with it :?

She's so smitten she's even offering to pay to have the hood replaced  :shock:

Probably going to be murdered if the roffle goes ahead......watch everyone all rush at once now I've said that!!

GLWTS.

Someone get this bought. It's amazingly straight and shiny and the interior's so nice you'll swear someone wound the clock forward 100,000 miles. I drove it from Coventry to Manchester and it was the most comfortable and pleasant drive. 

Plus all those bad points are super minor. All the times I've seen this car I never even noticed the headlining, which admittedly looks like someone has tried to reattach it using a Gatling gun loaded with Pritt Sticks instead of bullets. 

Not great at this whole selling thing are we - “it’s been a massive pain in the arse and I want rid so I want a grand for it”

Refreshingly honest if nothing else :D

I’m sure it’s worth it but it’s not your typical advert!

My first thoughts too to be fair, but then again, the photos speak for themselves - looks a cracker!

I wish I liked 740s - but to me they just didn't get the face and the arse right, especially compared with the 240.  Everything in the middle is fine to me, but they just lack any quirks or interesting touches at either end.  I guess they never quite captured the imagination as the 240 just kept on plodding.

This looks like a great example and priced well.

How will your Dad feel about it leaving?

Haven't done it. IIRC he's supicious of a minor leak on one cylinder. I'd take it with a pinch of salt though as he's way off the mark sometimes.

He's OK with it being sold, I've now found. He seems keen on me getting another Honda - CBA though, because rust.

Haven't done it. IIRC he's supicious of a minor leak on one cylinder.

He's OK with it being sold, I've now found. He seems keen on me getting another Honda - CBA though, because rust.

Good stuff.

So sell this, buy Lexus? Seems like a gr14 idea - I will have an LS400, but it needs to be a ph4 for me.

Hope you get a deal soon!

My friends v90 with LPG snapped its cambelt last week....he is thinking about scrapping it as trying to find another engine for it is ny on impossible. Such a shame as I too myself like the old Volvo’s however being 6ft 6inch I still find them tight for space getting in and out...

Now this is stunning having seen it in the flesh.... I said I would be interested if you ever sold.... I already have one thirsty Swede in my life. Can I convince the other half what she really wants is a Volvo estate.... probably. Do I have the cash right now.... nope. Damn.