All MX-5s are green. But which green.

New POD

Car : y reg Omega 3.2 MV6 196K

Rocker Gaskets replaced last summer at about 183K with genuine parts.

Proper cleaned out breather tubes on top of engine. .

Oil changed at 193K with genuine GM Fully Syth and Filter. (Cast Housing)

No leaks until 3 weeks ago. Started small, I always check the oil before a long journey (and I do a lot of them) and I've been adding a bit more often but now on Thursday I had to top up after 100 miles into a Journey, and Then again 80 Miles later (on Sunday) and again this morning at 70 miles into a Journey, AND then another 70 miles this afternoon, and now 70 miles on it needs more. I calculate about 6 litres for about 450 miles. That's a lot of rust proofing on the exhaust and lots of it on the floor.

I've not had it up on the ramps, (as Snow and rain and doesn't fit in my garage) but had it running and had a look at the filter housing area, and seems to be pouring down the back of the engine.

At first I wondered if the little wiring plug next to the Oil Filter Housing is likely to leak? but seems to be above that. (Car is too low to see without ramps)

When the Rocker gaskets were leaking before it was all very slow. Yes there was an advisory on the MOT, but nothing like this.

And it hasn't been leaking in at least 12K since I did them.

So what are we thinking ?

I blame JohnK !!!!!

post-17612-0-35721900-1520274217_thumb.jpg

post-17612-0-23233300-1520274281_thumb.jpg

There is oil on the rocker cover because Spillage

post-17612-0-55648900-1520274360_thumb.jpg

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=90579.msg1155460;topicseen#msg1155460

Apart from the fact that there isn't enough access to get my torque wrench on the end of the casing, I'm pretty sure I was fairly careful last time I changed the filter, at Christmas I think it was, and it hasn't been leaking for the first 6 weeks, so If it is that I'm not sure I understand why now.

There's an allen fixing inside the housing that holds it to the block, I recall that one of my old ones had loosened itself so I converted it to spin on filters which are far less faff 

I doubt it's anything serious but will raise cavcraft's offer by a tenner as I have a waiting list for some V6 parts   :-D

There's an allen fixing inside the housing that holds it to the block, I recall that one of my old ones had loosened itself so I converted it to spin on filters which are far less faff 

I doubt it's anything serious but will raise cavcraft's offer by a tenner as I have a waiting list for some V6 parts   :-D

Do I need to drop the oil to do that http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=90579.msg1155460;topicseen#msg1155460

conversion?

Has it got plastic cam covers?

If so, they can be (part of) the problem. They get overtightened & end up warping, allowing oil to escape.

The fix is to fit alloy covers from a Vectra B (see pic below), but they're rare nowadays so cost a bloody fortune.

post-5091-0-40977500-1490740754.jpg

It has plastic cam covers. They were tightened with a torque wrench which has never been in for calibration, but I have dangled my phone and taken photos of the area and there is nothing. I am VERY sure it is coming out between block and filter casing.

I attempted to obtain the M18 adaptor to convert it to spin on filter and Vauxhall dealers (I tried 3) said "We haven't got one, and we can't get one and there are none in the UK"

I said "So I have a classic MV6 Omega, which is almost concours condition. I have trade-club through membership of the owners club, I have owned 4 astras and 5 cavaliers, and you are basically telling me that for want of a £3 part, I should scrap it ?" 

I put the part number into google and it also matches a Saab Part. Obvs.

Anyway, some kind bod on OOF put me onto QED https://qedmotorsport.co.uk/qed-shop/vauxhall-xe-c20xe/lubrication/standard-filter-adaptor

It will arrive in the people's repubic of Wulvarampton 2moro.  I have been the Hellfrauds and bought and oil filter because Evan Hallshaw pissed me off today and also refused to do trade club price on it.

My landlord leant me this post-17612-0-97275700-1520367604_thumb.jpgpost-17612-0-46227400-1520367649_thumb.jpg

Looking at the routing of your crank sensor wiring ( sad arse I know)  It is possibly the original, I do hope sir is carrying a spare ?

No. Have you got a genuine low mileage one at a low cost I can throw in the boot ? Or a Part number so I can ring any Vauxhall dealer and be abused verbally.  

I said "So I have a classic MV6 Omega, which is almost concours condition. I have trade-club through membership of the owners club, I have owned 4 astras and 5 cavaliers, and you are basically telling me that for want of a £3 part, I should scrap it ?" 

]

Did you finish up by saying' don't you know who I am?'

hence my last Vauxhall was my last Vauxhall !

I have seen it posted that these filter holders can leak at the base , and the fixing screws are inside ...

Picture off the internet.

post-17612-0-35113500-1520371771_thumb.png

And they said "Ohhhh, you've said the magic phrase... alloy me to conjur one directly out of my ring piece, well played sir!"  :roll:

Indeed. And his ring piece isn't listed as a stock location, so computer says no. 

Just out of interest, what would they do if you took an obsolete Vauxhall in for for a service and they "broke" the filter housing (Not that you'd take a 17 year old Vauxhall to the main dealer for a service, unless you were my father in law)

Have just skimmed through the thread, but doesn't that bolt thing in the middle tighten the housing to the block. So when you did the oil and filter last time, is it possible you spun the housing and unscrewed the bolt in the middle causing it not to seal. Sorry this if anyone above has said same.

I think its likely that fitting the adapter and screw on filter will solve the issue.

P.S. Don't ever fit alloy camcovers to an Omega V6. You will probably end up with blown crank seals instead of leaky camcovers.

Keep the breathers cleaned properly and regularly and camcovers tightened to 8nm and you shouldn't have any problems in that area.

That oil filter housing is a similar design to good old VW's on my Seat diesel. On one occasion after I changed the filter it started pissing oil out but it took

yonks to find the cause. Several litres of expensive oil had coated the queen's highway before I realised the problem was I'd put the large o ring seal on the wrong grouve in the top.