All MX-5s are green. But which green.

New POD

B'stard adaptor did not turn up today. I phoned QED to check that they had sent it and to the right place, and they reckon it went in the post before close of play yesterday. Hopefully tomorrow ?

Adaptor turned up. Yeah.

Could I get the old bolt out. Anyone know how big the internal hex is, cause I obviously need to buy some new tools.

I have oil in my hair. and I stink and my car still leaks oil.

I think there is a pin that stops it turning but this snaps allowing the housing to spin

No. There is just a very very thin hard rubber seal which is clearly too small, and after 10,000 thermal cycles (assuming 200K divided by 20 mile journeys) it obviously decided "yeah feck it"

Adaptor turned up. Yeah.

Could I get the old bolt out. Anyone know how big the internal hex is, cause I obviously need to buy some new tools.

It's a 12 mm hex.  I still couldn't get the hex in because my attempt with a 1/4 in square drive had borked the female hex.

It's all sorted now. Thanks to "Keith" - a retired mechanic from Wolverhampton.

• 2 months later...

June 2nd Update :

Now Yesterday whilst on the M6 in traffic jam / through 50 mph road works In realised 2 things.

1 )  Firstly it wouldn't pull away very quickly, almost like I had the brakes on if it wasn't an auto, I'd say the clutch was slipping. 

2 ) Then It wouldn't allow cruise control to be selected. 

3 ) Then I tried the sport button, and that didn't work.

So when stationary, I turned it off and restarted and it was fine. 

But after a few miles faults 1 and 3 came back. Cruise continued to work though.

Turning off and restarting fixed it for a while. 

Anyone know anything about the GM autobox attached to the 3.2 omega ? 

heat related ....... hottest day plus traffic jam ?

Only saw 24 degrees but was very stop start on M6. I still managed 30 mpg this week which is better than normal.

But I'm wondering now if the small oil leak is not the engine and whether it's the gear box.

Check ATF level.They don't like it if the level gets low. Engine running, manually cycle the lever through the gears to make sure all valve blocks are filled. Then undo filler plug, with engine still running, If ATF doesn't seep out, fill with Dexron 3 until it does.

If that doesnt cure it, get codes read with TECH 2, or Opcom if you don't have access to Tech 2.

If the box is shagged it can be replaced for around £100 and a day of effing and blinding on your drive. If the autobox ECU is shagged it can be replaced for around £25 and about 10 minutes of your time. 

If the problem is electrical rather than mechanical, finding it might be the hardest part, as is often the way with electrickery.

If you rub some of the leaking oil between your fingers it should be easy to spot if its reddish ATF, or brown / black engine oil.

My thoughts on your original oil leak at the start of the thread, was that one of the half moons in the gasket at the rear of the engine had become displaced.

If you get a leak there, it can piss out faster than you can tip it in.

Edit. Symptoms 2&3 don't point to low ATF to me. Check all electrical connectors, particularly the ones on the transmission.

From memory, I think theres three connectors on the box.

So this evening I took myself off to a mates workshop

post-17612-0-26497100-1528310113_thumb.jpg

Every bloke should have a lift. How brilliant was it to be able to carry out my simple task without scrabbling around on the floor. 

And added half a teacup of Halfords Finest Red Liqueur.  

post-17612-0-23035300-1528310048_thumb.jpg

I await Friday afternoon and a trip up the M6 in the Summer heat to see if the symptoms return. 

• 4 weeks later...

So.

I decided that as the problem since filling up has been sporadic. Ie it might happen if the temperature is high.

I thought I'd change time 8 litres of ATF

which means dropping 2 gearbox stomps and maybe replacing the filter. One gasket not available. 2 filters in the UK can be had in a couple if days for oh ah £70 trade club price. Not much use if I take the sump off and try to reuse the old gasket and it leaks.

As ny ideas??

What about some sort of gasket sealant?  Quite a few cars use magic jizz rather than gaskets these days, such as RTV Silicone Sealant or Wynnes Black Gasket maker.

Not used either myself (only used sealants in conjunction with a gasket for "security") but the Wynns stuff can apparently be used for anything except Head Gaskets.  Otherwise find out what the original gasket is made of (rubber/cork/neoprene) and make a new one using the old as a template.  And smother that in some sort of sealant for backup. 

Remember that gearbox may originally have been made by ZF or Aisin Warner and be available in other applications from different makers.  Just because Vauxhall don't have any doesn't mean the Buick dealers in Canada aren't wondering what they are going to do with all the gearbox gaskets littering the place.

What about some sort of gasket sealant? Quite a few cars use magic jizz rather than gaskets these days, such as RTV Silicone Sealant or Wynnes Black Gasket maker.

Not used either myself (only used sealants in conjunction with a gasket for "security") but the Wynns stuff can apparently be used for anything except Head Gaskets. Otherwise find out what the original gasket is made of (rubber/cork/neoprene) and make a new one using the old as a template. And smother that in some sort of sealant for backup.

Remember that gearbox may originally have been made by ZF or Aisin Warner and be available in other applications from different makers. Just because Vauxhall don't have any doesn't mean the Buick dealers in Canada aren't wondering what they are going to do with all the gearbox gaskets littering the place.

M6 first thought is to send my Nephew to a Cadillac dealer in Cincinatti and buy some catera parts.

says it's for a 3.0, does it have the same gearbox. I shall ask the question on OFF later. but I tend to get better answers here and yours was perhaps the best so far.

Well wiki says the Catera transmission is the GM 4L30-E

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_4L30-E_transmission

Not sure how to verify if that's in your Omega, but it is listed as one of the applications,

It would seem the same gearbox is also fitted to various Bmws izusu and holdens.

I will have parts on order shortly.

Remember that gearbox may originally have been made by ZF or Aisin Warner and be available in other applications from different makers.  Just because Vauxhall don't have any doesn't mean the Buick dealers in Canada aren't wondering what they are going to do with all the gearbox gaskets littering the place.

Indeed. and BMW dealers too. 

I've recently found I can "con" the gearbox into not doing it by pressing the sport button, when I know I'm going to be coming down from cruising in top gear. and then Turning it off after I'm happy that I'm going to be sitting in top again for a while. 

As the 4L30-E box is similar / identical * to other applications across the

world

http://images.omegaowners.com/downloads/Autobox_Docs/BMW_Automatic_4L30E.pdf

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SG1016-AUTOMATIC-TRANSMISSION-FILTER-FOR-BMW-4L30E-4AS-GM-4L30E-RWD/302678276924?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l9372

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OIL-SUMP-GASKET-PAN-FRONT-B11298-4L30E-BMW-1990-2017/273177940110?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l9372

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SG1016-AUTOMATIC-TRANSMISSION-FILTER-AND-DEXOS3-FOR-BMW-4L30E-4AS-GM-4L30E-RWD/302684929036?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l9372

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Transmission-Filter-Kit-for-Holden-Jackaroo-2003-ON-4L30E-WCTK30-RTK25/141759175319?hash=item2101815a97:g:KyMAAOSwjVVV4K0V

Looking at this : There is a list of interchangability on this advert. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Auto-Trans-Filter-fits-1997-2001-Cadillac-Catera-HASTINGS-FILTERS/142659404073?epid=76990116&hash=item213729c129:g:h0kAAOSwCXJbGbq0

Obviously I'd rather order parts from a UK supplier as likely to arrive this week. 

Because I am cautious and I don't want to be stranded with the wrong parts having taken off and fucked any means of sealing the sump(s) I have asked the question at OFF but as Omegod will confirm, all the "experts" there seem to have moved onto VAG's .  Still there is so much good information on that website that I only have good things to say about it generally. 

• 5 weeks later...

Due to procastination and the fact that I've not had an issue for 2 weeks with the gearbox, I decided that this week I would fix the clunk.  Replaced the drop links Both sides. Only one was fecked. It's hard word with 19 mm socket in one hand and 16 mm open ended spanner in the other (17 mm  open ended to go back on) 

Clonks gone, pulls less to left under braking, but still a little. That will be the steering arm.  Didn't have a ball joint splitter in my box of tricks and mine is in a box about 100 miles away.

Some pictures 

A new drop link

post-17612-0-12651500-1533240538_thumb.jpg

Job done

post-17612-0-79201000-1533240629_thumb.jpg

In the Trees

post-17612-0-24686100-1533241101_thumb.jpg

"Muscle" Car and Overweight  american pastiche of a muscle car.  

post-17612-0-93741700-1533241186_thumb.jpg

Ah the joys of omega's... If it wasn't for the vauxhall issue I would have another.

Just wait until the selector unit fails on the gearbox (big electronic unit on the side). All the lights on the gear selector in the car will flash randomly and gearbox turns into a cabbage!

Pulling to left is alignment issue .... Get a good 4 wheel alignment done, not one of those crappy F1 autocentres and should rectify issue. Omega's are well known for this both mine and my dad's were fixed with good alignment work