Daft tyre names

Split_Pin

Avon are no longer the tyre they were. I was going to replace the ones on my 75 with the same again but they get bad reviews now.  Falken are an up and coming tyre. I've fitted them to a Clio 172, my Audi and the 75 has them as well. No problems so far.

1 minute ago, Split_Pin said:

Avon are no longer the tyre they were. I was going to replace the ones on my 75 with the same again but they get bad reviews now.  Falken are an up and coming tyre. I've fitted them to a Clio 172, my Audi and the 75 has them as well. No problems so far.

Agree with both points, just had the 2016 Avons on my Octavia replaced as they were perished and had cracks in the tread.  Have had Falkens on loads of cars and vans now and they're always quiet, grippy and last well.  It's usually Falkens, Toyos or Uniroyals for me at the moment.

I replaced them royal black ditchfinders with Falken Ziex tyres and they are brilliant. Done a few thousand miles on the Falkens now and they are very good. There on a diesel accord and it’s quite punchy, but a bit of a heffa. Transformed the ride and handling.

Put two Avons on my wife's Zafira.  One wore all unevenly and the other is now getting cracked to the point I will have to change it, even though it has enough tread.  I think Avon is part of a big group, so perhaps the tyres come from all over the place, but on my tiny sample, I'm sadly inclined to agree with above.

Falkens are good.

I've had them on a few cars. Grip well in the dry and largely seem to wear well v a lot of other brands/

My go to for most cars are Uniroyal, i think they are just that little bit better in the wet, but the Falkens are probably my 2nd choice go to for value mid range tyres.

5 minutes ago, lisbon_road said:

Put two Avons on my wife's Zafira.  One wore all unevenly and the other is now getting cracked to the point I will have to change it, even though it has enough tread.  I think Avon is part of a big group, so perhaps the tyres come from all over the place, but on my tiny sample, I'm sadly inclined to agree with above.

I've had a set of Avons ZV7s on the Ignis for a year, and the Corolla has a pair at the front (Falkens at the rear and the spare is a Falken). They're wearing nicely and massively improved the roadholding on the Ignis (then again it was fitted with a mix of ditch finders when I got it). I also had 4 on the Saab of much diesel mess and they were great on that.

Falkens are also very good - they transformed the Corolla after the wife had a set of death rings fitted to it previously.

I've used Avon's for years and currently have a set of ZV7 on the Skoda. Quiet and very grippy.

Can't speak for longevity, as only done 3k on them - but the ZV5 I had on the Focus lasted 20k and were fine the whole time.

A good mid range brand imo.

Just put 4 Bridgestone Ecopia fuel efficient low road noise etc etc on the mighty micra

Got a deal price match on them from Tony's tyres as they only had premium brand so they matched the price with the mid range from mag n turbo $110 a corner so about 60 squidsIMG_20210518_132714.thumb.jpg.59567bd9899338f3cf9f1e41c1d5c5a5.jpg

17 minutes ago, maxxo said:

I saw a brand new kia yesterday with Hankook tyres

i had always thought new stuff had michelin/continental

i've heard good things about hankook.....

I've had three Hyundais, an Elantra in the early 2000's - Hankook tyres, a 2010 i10 - Hankook tyres, but my current Ionic, built at the mega Ulsan factory in the RoK, has Michelin tyres, Made in Spain! They are those ultra efficient ones which perhaps Hankook don't make. KIA's used to come with that other Korean brand -Kumho. I put Kumho tyres on my old FIAT and they were FAB.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/20/2021 at 12:16 PM, maxxo said:

I saw a brand new kia yesterday with Hankook tyres

i had always thought new stuff had michelin/continental

i've heard good things about hankook.....

At the end of the day Hankook is a premium supplier, like those above and Bridgestone, Goodyear and Pirelli as one of the global tyre megacompanies. Underneath that you will have the smaller brands like Cooper and the various other European brands and perhaps Yokohama and Toyo, then you have the dregs of the market which are the random Asian minnows with the silly names.

I'm guessing for new European cars the big tyre manufacturers just have long supply contracts and periodically re-tender as providing a new BMW or whatever still gets premium tyres BMW will just want whoever can supply them at the right price, like any other swappable part.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, petermchugh79 said:

Stomil made in the Ukraine/ Russia brilliant agri tyre! But there car stuff was agricultural if that makes any sense

They were fitted to eastern European stuff in the 1980-90s and that when some way to explain the "unusual" handling of Moskviches, Ladas and FSOs! I fitted a new set of Michelins to my FSO and it then drove like a dream!  

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/4/2021 at 11:27 AM, petermchugh79 said:

Stomil made in the Ukraine/ Russia brilliant agri tyre! But there car stuff was agricultural if that makes any sense

Sent from my Redmi Note 8T using Tapatalk

Stomil must have had egg shaped moulds in their factory. Absolutely terrible tyres!

I had them on a 2.3 ghia sierra and it slid about like Torvill and Dean. 2 of them suffered blowouts too within a fortnight of each other, after  which I ditched the other 2!

On 11/7/2020 at 5:33 PM, Andrew353w said:

I recently had a flat in my Daf 33 & had to fit the spare. Although I'd fitted 4 new Firestone 135/80R13s about 18 months ago, I didn't change the spare. It looked O.K., it held the pressure, so I fitted it... Does ANYONE know if Serbia and Montenegro are known for their tyre manufacturing.....

A743AD5C-06D2-4B9D-B589-4EB498C6398A_1_201_a.jpeg

After a slight cock up I ran the 405 for a few months recently on one of those that's supposed to be the spare.  Mine says made in Yugoslavia on though 😂