Daft tyre names

Split_Pin

Aye I’ve seen a few Double Coin tyres on trucks. Mainly tippers and bin wagons.
I drove a shonky Daf artic 4x2 back in the late '90's and the boss put Double Coin on the steer 'cos cheap. One let go coming down Shap, luckily in the evening as I used half the lane to my right fighting it.
Told boss I didn't rate them!!!

Sent from my R19 using Tapatalk

On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2020 at 9:17 PM, bunglebus said:

49667031271_1bfe537584_4k.jpg

HiLo - refers to the air pressure retention in relation to the owners manual. Also, coincidently, the accuracy of the equally cheap tyre pressure gauge purchased at the same time.

Or, does it reference the mental state of the owner. Hi cos it's a bargain init M8 saved loadsa bunga, lo when recovering the car from a ditch.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I usually seem to end up replacing technically legal but otherwise slightly lethal tyres on old crocks shortly after buying them.  My old XJ40 came with a set of ancient Hero tyres on the back which had to go in a skip immediately as the only hero they inspired was the one to come and tow you out of the ditch you'd driven in to.

My Focus ST170 came with a set of Autogrips which were shaped like 20ps and I can confirm were ambitiously named.   You certainly knew they were on there though, plenty of road noise and wheel shake to remind you what you'd bought,

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I apologise profusely for the lack of pics or even remembering the brand however....

Wife's old Hyundai Gets was purchased with about 25k miles on the click, a receipt showed new front tyres at about 10k. The replacements were made from similar plastic to the dashboard and made it feel like driving on ice as soon as it even looked like precipitation was a possibility. After 15k miles they still looked unworn.

Absolutely the most dangerous pieces of shit I have had the misfortune to drive on. Iirc they cost around £20 each!

The premium brand that went on about a week after buying the car were three times the price and worth every penny.

I have bit the bullet last night and bought 4 new tyres for the Disco 3 off tyreleader for the grand total of £380 but I did buy Goodyear Eagle F1s.....  I accidentally clicked on “all brands” and was shown hundreds of dodgy brands of tyres! It was hilarious. Was glad to get away from buying ditch finders for my landy