Winter 1963 documentary - BBC4 10pm

Tayne

Really enjoyed watching that.

1963 winter did go on a bit.

It was a bit grim for this 5 year old walking alone to school, in shorts, along a main road and getting blasted with slush. I lost my new Corgi Ford Thames Trader artic wading through drifts. (Found after the thaw)

The school stayed open, there was no electricity or mains water anyway in the village so less to worry about not having I suppose.

Dad stopped riding the NSU moped and rode his 16H Norton and sidecar to work. He always said sidecar outfits were unbeatable in the snow. Anyway, his Zephyr was broken (again).

I've seen both of those clips before and love them! My little brother was born at the height of the 1963 freeze and my Mum went into labour at home. Dad managed to get her to hospital JUST in time, having battled through snow covered roads, in a 6 volt 3 speed Renault 4! What with those skinny tyres, spongy suspension and almost non-existent power I reckon my little brother was a VERY lucky little baby!

post-5367-0-83727700-1519999396_thumb.jpg

This was me during that winter....I would have been 4 and it all seemed quite normal, can remember the milk freezing in the bottles and some lethal icicles on the shed roof.   Also remember the council gritting the road - there was a bloke who seemed about 70 years old stood up in the back of Commer pick-up shovelling it haphazardly out of which ever side he remembered to do next.   It was quite safe though - it had black and yellow chevrons painted on the tail-gate.....If my memory seems extraordinarily sharp about this I have to confess an aunt filmed it and I saw it for the first time again recently!   I do remember it though I recalled it as a J2 until I saw the film...

post-5367-0-15200700-1519999526_thumb.png 

Here is the link, its very old-hat amateur stuff and only about 10 percent chod-worthy but I think that is my Uncle's Minor fleetingly in the background but sadly he is not around to ask any more.