Ford Mondeo Base - Sale aborted.

BorniteIdentity

This thread has been far more gripping than an Eastenders plot to say the least. Much yoghurt truck crashes will be had when this is parked next to the Holy Grail. I think you should pay Swede Mason's Buttery Biscuit Base on the radio for shits & giggles

What a great pair these would make- 2 red ford bases. For a hat trick you could get a red base mkV cortina for £££££ or go the other way and get an early red mk3 Mondeo, for £ but I suspect what constitutes a "base" by then will have changed out of all recognition.

I'd love there to be a bold as brass "base" one but I bet it is given a swankier name and an almost embarrassing amount of kit by comparison.

I'm loving this business of buying cars then sorting out an actual 'point' later on.

I've sold all my roadworthy cars and am reduced to travelling via a combo of Mrs_Knackers' 54-plate fiesta and/or my own 1991 Haro Impulse Comp 21-speed with triagonal cro-mo frame. I thought about chucking a few groat into the pot and offering to basically 'rent' this thing for a few weeks (doing any little bits it needed), but really I should just man up and get that friggin Pony through the test if I want mobility.

I'm loving this business of buying cars then sorting out an actual 'point' later on.

I've sold all my roadworthy cars and am reduced to travelling via a combo of Mrs_Knackers' 54-plate fiesta and/or my own 1991 Haro Impulse Comp 21-speed with triagonal cro-mo frame. I thought about chucking a few groat into the pot and offering to basically 'rent' this thing for a few weeks (doing any little bits it needed), but really I should just man up and get that friggin Pony through the test if I want mobility.

Well, get off your computer and smack that Pony! I need to see reports of what it's like as a daily.

Sold Subject to Contract - Borniteidentity™ on behalf of Red5.

If he has a change of heart, I'll be getting out my machine polisher - making it nice and adding gravel tax once it's photographed on the loose shingle driveway.  Profits to Autoshite benevolent fund.

Nearly lost my bottle there. 

Collection next week on behalf of our fellow shiter, Red.

You might actually be helping our chum Red5 along if you took it for a bit.  He is in Worcestershire from memory - which is nearer to you than me.  

I love the idea that this thing was somehow a static demonstrator in a Ford dealership showroom for over a year. As opposed to any of the more desirable trim levels. Must've been some discount to get it finally shifted!

go the other way and get an early red mk3 Mondeo, for £ but I suspect what constitutes a "base" by then will have changed out of all recognition.

An early 1.8 LX would still be reasonably basic by today's standards.  Keep fit windows in the back, steel wheels with trimz, grim grey cloth interior, and no cruise control or any of the other fancy bits the later cars got.

An early 1.8 LX would still be reasonably basic by today's standards.  Keep fit windows in the back, steel wheels with trimz, grim grey cloth interior, and no cruise control or any of the other fancy bits the later cars got.

i had a couple of those in the 90s and naughties ;)

nowt wrong with that spec at all, would revisit

Boom! Nicely played, sir! Is it in your custody yet?

How did the seller's stipulations work out in the end?

Picking it up next weekend.

I think as soon as he saw me - and heard me spoke - he was at ease.  Didn't want to hold my wallet or keep his hand on the handbrake or anything (!).  Dropping the deposit over tomorrow.

It's 7.45 so obviously i'm 6 sheets to the wind.  I'd have loved this - no shit - but my neighbour over the road already has suspicions of car trading and, with 5 cars outside, i'm keen not to fuck them off.  They're nice folk otherwise.  Hopefully Red5 will love it, shower it with affection, and then I'll take it back on in a year or so.

First stop is the Serbian car wash on the A428.  You have never seen so much dog hair in a car in all your life.

Ironically I had a Radiant red mk2 that the guy used to take his Alsatian out in. Summer the smell got really bad, it ingrains in the fabric. No matter what I cleaned it with it wouldn't go. I ended up swapping it for leather and viola the smell went.

What were the carpets like underneath? Difficult to tell if they're wet or not from on top.

Thank fuck for that. I was beginning to think brexit would have been ratified before somebody bought the car. The engine is only 90 bhp however on the plus side it is very smooth.

The clutch can be done at home. My dad did the one on his diesel - he did it over two days.

Pistonheads is all "heel and toe" and "best pcp". Autoshite is grown men having a j arthur rank over a 25 year old boggo spec mondeo with NLA wheel trims.

Lets just bear in mind that the poor seller has been trying to sell a £300 car through gumtree.

Just take a minute to imagine the level of twazzock he's had enquiring and the sort of things he's been offered as a swap.

Maybe all the upfront carryon about test drives was just a sort of twat filter, sounds like once he met you and saw that you were a real human who did actually possess the ability to speak, and £300, he was happy to do the deal like a normal person would.

Lets just bear in mind that the poor seller has been trying to sell a £300 car through gumtree.

Just take a minute to imagine the level of twazzock he's had enquiring and the sort of things he's been offered as a swap.

Maybe all the upfront carryon about test drives was just a sort of twat filter, sounds like once he met you and saw that you were a real human who did actually possess the ability to speak, and £300, he was happy to do the deal like a normal person would.

Very true.

I love the idea that this thing was somehow a static demonstrator in a Ford dealership showroom for over a year. As opposed to any of the more desirable trim levels. Must've been some discount to get it finally shifted!

The thing is you couldn't get a nearly new Mondeo at launch for love nor-money. Ford purportedly were buying them back and stockpiling the daily rental ones so resale was kept artificially high at first. I wonder if it was deliberately kept in stock just so people could sit in the thing in the showroom? (Of which Allen have two in Romford). Or maybe a dealer training car perhaps for the region shifted on trade plates?