dozeydustman

Saab 93 WBOD - £250 or roffle £4.50/£8 for 2

2 hours ago, snagglepuss said:

Perseverance is needed. Good to see some progress - always enjoy work updates

Sadly I think it’s going to be completed after the 10 working days’ free retest times out. Ordered a set of star sockets and might need some new bolts and nuts for reassembly. More £££ I could do without spending

2 hours ago, Tamworthbay said:

A decent torque driver is a thing of wonder, it makes so many jobs easier and makes some that with hand tools are near impossible, possible in minutes. I wouldn’t be without one now.

About all in my price range at the moment are the hex-drive ones for screwdriver bits and small sockets! Unless you can recommend a good 3/8” or 1/2” drive one for under 10 bob....

10 hours ago, dozeydustman said:

About all in my price range at the moment are the hex-drive ones for screwdriver bits and small sockets! Unless you can recommend a good 3/8” or 1/2” drive one for under 10 bob....

If you haven’t got mains power it’s a bit limiting cost wise. I have a Clarke 240v one that has never failed on anything, but for 95% of stuff I use a dewalt battery one that was about £200. You need a quality bit in the end (Poundland ones do not work as I found out :-) ) and then it will shift stuff you would never imagine. I have had mine on everything from stubborn wheel nuts to crank nose bolts and it’s done them happily. It’s also a godsend for speed and not knackering you out. Even if you have to crack them off by hand the time and effort saved by using the driver to run them off is well worth doing.  I have seen similar ones to mine without batteries for about £50 second hand and you can get unbranded batteries for about £10-15 on eBay but never used them personally.

Second hand decent with/without batteries may be my current option. Thankfully the fitters at work have been happy to lend me the odd tool over a weekend or overnight but I can't keep taking the piss out of their generosity.

I think I know what is going on my birthday list this year....

I've done what I can for today, the offside suspension and hub are putting up such a ridiculous fight it's unreal. I have this.

IMG_7283.thumb.JPG.21bd6dad86ffa4bd6508cd368e1db1e3.JPG

I did this. Sideways by all accounts. Wife was enjoying mowing the lawn at the same time, so she's had more fun than me today.

Just to do this

IMG_7285.thumb.JPG.8fe64e8de6c46dd7f9f317458782ba34.JPG

What a palava.

N/S wishbone is now out and hub carrier detached from driveshaft. I have a brake backplate somewhere to replace the missing one from this side.

IMG_7286.thumb.JPG.45b18b76d7a00e930ff0104db82442a6.JPG

My star sockets should be at Screwfix tomorrow morning and the wishbone arrive in the post so I can swap the hub over and install the new wishbone.

The offside is being a bastard. Even a breaker bar on the brake caliper bolts won't crack them off (the borrowed rattle gun has run out of battery so I can't try that) and the pinch bolt at the bottom balljoint joins it is absolutely rock solid, even with pressure taken off the suspension. I don't want to have to admit defeat and get the garage to do this for me, as I think even they'd struggle on a 2/4 poster. I may just mingebag it by glueing the split in the CV gaiter as it's not greasy. Other thing I could try is dropping the strut and dismantling the whole assembly on a workbench. If I can get the driveshaft out.

Indeed it has been a real ballache. I can only conclude that the last time the offside was in bits was when the car was built. It’s only that pinch bolt that is really preventing me getting the job completed. It’s had 2 days of penetrating fluid or WD squirted at it and still won’t break free, or come out with a drift & club hammer.

At least I should get the N/S done this afternoon.

DD - I have a mains rattle gun and a portable brazing kit which is oxy/MAPP gas you are welcome to borrow? I can't get over your way the next few evenings I'm afraid, but if you can get to Fareham you are welcome to borrow one or both? The brazing torch is smoll and very good for heating things like this up very hot to aid removal. The gas bottles are about the size of a 2l coke bottle so is very portable.

The rattle gun is a Clarke 540nm one and is heavy, but mightily powerful. I have impact sockets too.

Thanks for the offer Stanky, very kind. I'll text/call you should I need them; might be able to pick up tomorrow afternoon if madam doesn't need the one working car!

I've just picked up my star sockets so that will make removing some of the last few bolts easier; I'll be doing that shortly as I've only just got home from work, but I need a cup of tea first!

Some progress today, thankfully I've done 3 steps forward and only 1 back today. 

IMG_7288.thumb.JPG.6cbac01e4de0905bd8d04b681628c417.JPG

Hub off and now swapped over, just awaiting wishbone and N/S will be done. There was no ding dong when I powered the car up with the new hub fitted, so hopefully that's the ABS issue sorted. I shalln't know until I do a run. Will need to torque the hub nut up when the wheel's back on. Unusually this hub comes with a dust cap.

Now for the rusty side. I finally got the caliper carrier off, which means I've been able to strip down the hub even further. There was a tiny bit of movement in the driveshaft sliding in and out the hub, this is a new development. Leaving it like this overnight with some plusgas applied to it.

IMG_7289.thumb.JPG.88af7b0310cdbcebffb764402e4971d1.JPG

Pinch bolt around the kingpin is now moving a little as well, more plusgas applied. Things are looking positive.

@Stanky what's the latest sort of time you would need to know if I need to borrow things?

Ideally by about 8am so I can get the bits out of the garage ready for you and let Mrs_Stanky know you'll be along at some point to pick it up. Or I can just get it all ready anyway and if you come and get it thats fine, and if you don't it won't be going anywhere?

Today can be summed up with one of Wilson Shitpeas' finest artistic creations.

moderate-awe.thumb.jpg.7afdad6172b7e6eda3f3b879b9bbb0a2.jpg

Spent half an hour under the car getting nowhere, some slightly* offensive language attracted the attention of a neighbour who offered to lend me a hot flamey thing.

Plusgas+neighbour's flame device+plusgas+more flame+more plusgas+drift & hammer =

IMG_7291.thumb.JPG.b2446065cbbe9a3e9ff676d2ae62958e.JPG

I'm really shocked at the MoT station not seeing the state of this balljoint now I've got it off the car. It's even sloppier that the one they failed it on to boot. Admittedly some of the damage to the rubber was caused by the heat but the split wasn't.

IMG_7292.thumb.JPG.fde13a182c5b87103d288ee1c27515e5.JPG

O/S driveshaft is also out at the gearbox end, so tomorrow I can do a job my late grandpa used to describe as 'putting a French letter on an elephant'.

IMG_7293.thumb.JPG.d36d9af6c7458bb0a6d74613a18dd07e.JPG

If I can get the car MoT'd by the end of the week or the weekend I would be really chuffed, but early next week looks more of a reality.

Re: the length of extension cables you deployed for the powahhh tools: that's one way of contributing to climate improvement... I'm sure the GGG are proud of you!

Following this fred with a mix of pity and deep respect. Don't let the bastard grind you down - you're almost there.

Sent from my BV6000 using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, chodweaver said:

Re: the length of extension cables you deployed for the powahhh tools: that's one way of contributing to climate improvement... I'm sure the GGG are proud of you!

Following this fred with a mix of pity and deep respect. Don't let the bastard grind you down - you're almost there.

Many thanks. Needs must when the garage is 75 metres from the house! It has been a complete and utter ballache to say the very least. I know a garage will have better tools and more capable methods of working under the car, but when the quote started at £500 labour without discovering everything was siezed in place then a couple hundred quid and afternoons after work to keep a car I love driving on the road is worth it.

I'm hoping it will just be the emissions that are the only issue at the test so I may well bung in a new air filter and a bottle of snake oil, hopefully giving it a good rag before the test will make it regenerate and clear the last of the shit out. Could take the DPF off and steam clean it at work as well just to be sure.

I do think that at some point I'll need the rest of the exhaust changing as it's the 13 and a bit year old original system. That will be a delight to fit I'm sure.

A 500quid 'and that's just for starters' labour bill is a strong and totally justified motivator IMO.

.... it's the 13 and a bit year old original system. That will be a delight to fit I'm sure.

A mate claims his preferred MO for exhaust removal is as follows - strafe the underside with a 50calibre weapon before you start...

Exactly Mr Chod. I could have bought another car with a year's ticket for that sort of money and had to do this spring 2020. Better the devil you know, as they say.

Large amount of photos warning.

Another 3 hours of toil spent on this seized up Swedish V***hall, but I'm winning. Nearside is reassembled.

IMG_7296.thumb.JPG.c4976366a34df763bb7a410bb95303b7.JPG

Putting a French letter on an elephant. Turn inside out.

IMG_7297.thumb.JPG.c0f4bd317be5e8a1ee47051969e5ad6b.JPG

Lube

IMG_7298.thumb.JPG.a2b3c0ba6eb6683233c9b247402e97af.JPG

Obscene

IMG_7299.thumb.JPG.ee44c710cbc0f1131310e968f600dc8c.JPG

Drag over like playing with your foreskin (if you have one)

IMG_7300.thumb.JPG.e198148e213a773999a53198f2a7cda6.JPG

Fit retaining clip things and insert your well lubed rubber johnny into the correct hole

IMG_7302.thumb.JPG.c612578f7fcabebdce0f98c88f41964d.JPG

reassemble suspension.

IMG_7301.thumb.JPG.7baf4ae82151f458b764bceeb9633499.JPG

Just brakes to bleed, hub nuts to torque and zorst to replace now. Hopefully tomorrow afternoon!

37 minutes ago, snagglepuss said:

Well done that man - you can offer your services to whipsnade zoo now for elephant sexual protection services

I don't want to prevent the elephants from breeding. We need more elephants. Such graceful and elegant creatures.