Saab 93 the second - microservice and microbraking

dozeydustman

Looks OK. SFQ here, I'm clearly not a Saab expert, but are the 'GM cars', the 93 & 95 stuff that share bits with Cavalier/Vectra or whatever any good? Do they feel/drive/behave like the older, more interesting (to my mind) stuff? And most importantly, do the doors still close underneath the sills? 

What did I get for a grand?

1.9TiD 150bhp
New exhaust manifold inc New swirl flaps.
new EGR
working air con
151k miles
no stored or pending codes
57mpg on the SID
new front and rear springs
A handful of receipts for new & used parts.
MoT October 2022

Chap selling it was on Gumtree, very nice Frenchman who was fed up with idiots offering £400 or £800 and a shitty knackered Micra in PX. He’s a Saab enthusiast; he has a 9-3 Aero sportwagon petrol 2.0 Turbo, a 9-5 Saloon, also an Aero, and has just bought a 9-3 V6 Saloon. Ideal member on here and between his broken English and my shit French we done a deal.

I think I have a lot of car for my money.

First thing I have discovered in the short sharp and very heavy hail/snow that just attacked, the front tyres are absolute dogshit. Sliding all over the place even at tickover letting the engine pull the car along.

One’s a Rapid and the other is a brand I can’t even read, because crap typeface. 

9 hours ago, mercedade said:

Did you check the rest?

Thankfully the rest were tight. I think PO had whacked on the Meerkovo tyre to sell it, and the resulting 200 miles I’d driven since collecting worked them loose.

I’m going to whack it up on my bottle jack tomorrow and check the mating faces of the wheel and hub; first time I’ve ever had bolts/nuts work loose on a car.

Day 5 of Saabage take 2, having an estate is handy again. Collected 2 armchairs on way home from Kent, the knackered sofa in the spare bedroom went to the tip and delivered (just about) the long sofa to its new owner.

I’m actually quite tempted by the Dame Edna 9-5 that’s local as a second car…..

On 23/02/2022 at 16:31, barefoot said:

Looks OK. SFQ here, I'm clearly not a Saab expert, but are the 'GM cars', the 93 & 95 stuff that share bits with Cavalier/Vectra or whatever any good? Do they feel/drive/behave like the older, more interesting (to my mind) stuff? And most importantly, do the doors still close underneath the sills? 

Feels better than a Vectra C on the road, doesn’t seem to understeer as badly though it’s still there when pushed. Interior is finished to a better standard and seats are superbly comfortable. Correct mixture of waft and sportiness I like in a car; too hard and I’d get fed up, too wafty I get travelsick as a passenger!

I’m hoping Black Circles are true to their word and they swap the 4x Nankangs I got for the C2 with 2x Uniroyal Rainsport 5s I want for this Swedish beast. 

They’re coming Thursday for the tyres I don’t need any more, and this means they’ll swap them for the ones I do want when they get them back to their depot. Hopefully sometime next week I’ll have the new rubber.

• 4 weeks later...

3 sodding weeks later my Uniroyals turned up this morning, quite fortunate as I picked up a nail in the Premiorri branded ditch finder. Trying to get black circles to sort this out has been a ballache so I wouldn't recommend trying to get an exchange or refund from them.

Took them to local friendly garage and the locking wheel bolt heads on the punctured wheel was bollocksed, so what should have been a 20 minute job and a few quid for the teapot fund ended up being a real ballache for the poor guys who wanted just to go home. I'll pop round there tomorrow with a few extra quid as they took an hour wrestling this bolt. Good tyres has transformed the car, but as it's dark if I take a photo you'll just see a generic looking silver estate in the dark!

Ordered some new non-locking bolts along with a load of service stuff from Eurocrapparts, I'm not sure when it was last serviced but the oil isn't too manky. Saved £58 on nearly £120's worth of gear which wasn't bad. Hopefully I can get that done in the next week or so.

Proper update will come soon, hopefully with a service and me spilling dirty engine oil all over place like normal.