Saab 93 the second - mildly moist

dozeydustman

• 2 months later...
  • dozeydustman changed the title to Saab 93 - ice cold
7 minutes ago, horriblemercedes said:

I hope it stays that way! I'm hoping a regas fixes mine, but I'm not doing it until after the MOT on the 4th of July

It stopped working on way back from taking my stepdaughter home, I also noticed the external air temp sensor had dropped from 27 to -17 degrees C. Wondering if that’s anything to do with it. 

52 minutes ago, dozeydustman said:

It stopped working on way back from taking my stepdaughter home, I also noticed the external air temp sensor had dropped from 27 to -17 degrees C. Wondering if that’s anything to do with it. 

Yup it will be. 

Most modern* AC systems make use of the outside air temp sensor and a sunlight detector on the dashboard to adjust the amount of cooling being generated.  Many systems can cope with the loss of one or either of these sensors, but some use them as gospel and turn off the AC if it thinks it's not necessary, even if the interior car sensor is at 30c and you're requesting 20c.  Clearly the Saab/Vaux system is one of those.

The good news is that the sensor is often an industry standard NTP sensor, meaning you don't need a £30 sensor from a dealer, you can use a 99p sensor from ebay and splice it in.  Do check first tho!

38 minutes ago, Talbot said:

Most modern* AC systems make use of the outside air temp sensor and a sunlight detector on the dashboard to adjust the amount of cooling being generated.  Many systems can cope with the loss of one or either of these sensors, but some use them as gospel and turn off the AC if it thinks it's not necessary, even if the interior car sensor is at 30c and you're requesting 20c.  Clearly the Saab/Vaux system is one of those.

The good news is that the sensor is often an industry standard NTP sensor, meaning you don't need a £30 sensor from a dealer, you can use a 99p sensor from ebay and splice it in.  Do check first tho!

I got a good tested used one from Neo Brothers

• 2 months later...

MoT is up in a couple of weeks and I think the issues I’ve had with random DPF fail may well be a failing flexi. The exhaust is now starting to get boomy but I’ve not had a chance to have a look because of life getting in the way, too many 6-day weeks at work and general apathy toward many things of late leaving me rather burnt out.

Hopefully I’ll get a chance to peek underneath this week some time.

• dozeydustman changed the title to Saab 93 the second - MoT Looming….
  • 2 months later...

Past couple of months SAAB den andra has been pretty reliable, passed the MoT with an advisory which I’ll sort in better weather.

Past week with the ridiculous amount of wind and rain I have noticed water in the car which appears when the fan blower is on.

Scuttle and plenums are clear, so one can only think wind was forcing the rain past the cabin filter. Old one was manky and damp.

E77695AC-4AE2-4946-BB11-6C0FB926E8AF.thumb.jpeg.73857e48df87e9051c549a7363a621ee.jpeg

778B80B7-A524-44B3-AE96-3DA7510AA96E.thumb.jpeg.3cc898630dd0d1fb9d09892be96351b1.jpeg

It was also fitted in backwards, and the plastic shield between the filter housing and  scuttle trim was badly fitted. The fan also looked damp and past day or so it was squealing. Dried off what I could with a rag before placing a drop or 2 of light oil in the spindle, before renweing the filter and reinstalling the plastics and seals ensuring a good fit.

While I was there I whipped off the battery negative lead, because the anti-jam in the driver’s window, external temp sensor and a couple of other doohickies were messing about. 30 secs off the batter jormally kills these gremlins, and pleased to report a window which winds up and down on auto correctly, a non-squeaky fan, external temp showing 12 Celcius instead of the previous -6, and the EML light off. This was from failure to regen a couple months back, but as this seems to have automatically cured itself and I don’t have a reader I did it that way.

I will monitor the water situation. Thankfully not using coolant, doesn’t overheat and the water with the fan was only ever after heavy rain. May invest in a cover if I know weather will be really bad.

1 hour ago, Wgl2019 said:

My old 9-3 ended up with wet carpets after the seal around the cabin filter disintegrated. Fixed by ripping it all off and running a bead of industrial strength roofing mastic around..... 

I’m hoping just the incorrectly fitted filter and poorly fitted shrouds was the cause along with some severe rain. The seals in the filter housing looked in good order.

• dozeydustman changed the title to Saab 93 the second - mildly moist
2 hours ago, Wgl2019 said:

My old 9-3 ended up with wet carpets after the seal around the cabin filter disintegrated. Fixed by ripping it all off and running a bead of industrial strength roofing mastic around..... 

Snap. On mine, the housing that mounts to the bulkhead which the filter element sits in had come away from the bulkhead, allowing water to run off the screen straight into the intake of the heater blower.

I tiger-sealed it back on and all was well again for multiple years. The screeching from the blower motor fan eventually got too much and I replaced it for a good used one, I suspect the water getting onto the spindle killed it earlier than it should have. All easy jobs to do though.

Mine was leaking like a sieve when I bought it. Easy enough to silicone around the pollen filter box. The blower motor was also not working, got my arm in there with some WD40 and pushed the motor spindle to and fro. Got it going and then greased it. Its lasted over a year since then. 

GM era Saabs ain't a patch on the real deal but they're cheap enough rammel so I'm not complaining. 

• 2 weeks later...