Saab 93 the second - microservice and microbraking

dozeydustman

• 2 months later...
7 minutes ago, horriblemercedes said:

I hope it stays that way! I'm hoping a regas fixes mine, but I'm not doing it until after the MOT on the 4th of July

It stopped working on way back from taking my stepdaughter home, I also noticed the external air temp sensor had dropped from 27 to -17 degrees C. Wondering if thatā€™s anything to do with it.Ā 

52 minutes ago, dozeydustman said:

It stopped working on way back from taking my stepdaughter home, I also noticed the external air temp sensor had dropped from 27 to -17 degrees C. Wondering if thatā€™s anything to do with it.Ā 

Yup it will be.Ā 

Most modern* AC systems make use of the outside air temp sensor and a sunlight detector on the dashboard to adjust the amount of cooling being generated.Ā  Many systems can cope with the loss of one or either of these sensors, but some use them as gospel and turn off the AC if it thinks it's not necessary, even if the interior car sensor is at 30c and you're requesting 20c.Ā  Clearly the Saab/Vaux system is one of those.

The good news is that the sensor is often an industry standard NTP sensor, meaning you don't need a Ā£30 sensor from a dealer, you can use a 99p sensor from ebay and splice it in.Ā  Do check first tho!

38 minutes ago, Talbot said:

Most modern* AC systems make use of the outside air temp sensor and a sunlight detector on the dashboard to adjust the amount of cooling being generated.Ā  Many systems can cope with the loss of one or either of these sensors, but some use them as gospel and turn off the AC if it thinks it's not necessary, even if the interior car sensor is at 30c and you're requesting 20c.Ā  Clearly the Saab/Vaux system is one of those.

The good news is that the sensor is often an industry standard NTP sensor, meaning you don't need a Ā£30 sensor from a dealer, you can use a 99p sensor from ebay and splice it in.Ā  Do check first tho!

I got a good tested used one from Neo Brothers

• 2 months later...

MoT is up in a couple of weeks and I think the issues Iā€™ve had with random DPF fail may well be a failing flexi. The exhaust is now starting to get boomy but Iā€™ve not had a chance to have a look because of life getting in the way, too many 6-day weeks at work and general apathy toward many things of late leaving me rather burnt out.

Hopefully Iā€™ll get a chance to peek underneath this week some time.

• dozeydustman changed the title to Saab 93 the second - MoT Loomingā€¦.
  • 2 months later...

Past couple of months SAAB den andra has been pretty reliable, passed the MoT with an advisory which Iā€™ll sort in better weather.

Past week with the ridiculous amount of wind and rain I have noticedĀ water in the car which appears when the fan blower is on.

Scuttle and plenums are clear, so one can only think wind was forcing the rain past the cabin filter. Old one was manky and damp.

E77695AC-4AE2-4946-BB11-6C0FB926E8AF.thumb.jpeg.73857e48df87e9051c549a7363a621ee.jpeg

778B80B7-A524-44B3-AE96-3DA7510AA96E.thumb.jpeg.3cc898630dd0d1fb9d09892be96351b1.jpeg

It was also fitted in backwards, and the plastic shield betweenĀ the filter housing andĀ Ā scuttle trim was badly fitted. The fan also looked damp and past day or so it was squealing. Dried off what I could with a rag before placing a drop or 2 of light oil in the spindle, before renweing the filter and reinstalling the plastics and seals ensuring a good fit.

While I was there I whipped off the battery negative lead, because the anti-jam in the driverā€™s window, external temp sensor and a couple of other doohickies were messing about. 30 secs off the batter jormally kills these gremlins, and pleased to report a window which winds up and down on auto correctly, a non-squeaky fan,Ā external temp showing 12 CelciusĀ instead of the previous -6, and the EML light off. This was from failure to regen a couple months back, but as this seems to have automatically cured itself and I donā€™t have a reader I did it that way.

I will monitor the water situation. Thankfully not using coolant, doesnā€™t overheat and the water with the fan was only ever after heavy rain. May invest in a cover if I know weather will be really bad.

1 hour ago, Wgl2019 said:

My old 9-3 ended up with wet carpets after the seal around the cabin filter disintegrated. Fixed by ripping it all off and running a bead of industrial strength roofing mastic around.....Ā 

Iā€™m hoping just the incorrectly fitted filter and poorly fitted shrouds was the cause along with some severe rain. The seals in the filter housing looked in good order.

• dozeydustman changed the title to Saab 93 the second - mildly moist
2 hours ago, Wgl2019 said:

My old 9-3 ended up with wet carpets after the seal around the cabin filter disintegrated. Fixed by ripping it all off and running a bead of industrial strength roofing mastic around.....Ā 

Snap. On mine, the housing that mounts to the bulkhead which the filter element sits in had come away from the bulkhead, allowing water to run off the screen straight into the intake of the heater blower.

I tiger-sealed it back on and all was well again for multiple years. The screeching from the blower motor fan eventually got too much and I replaced it for a good used one, I suspect the water getting onto the spindle killed it earlier than it should have. All easy jobs to do though.

Mine was leaking like a sieve when I bought it. Easy enough to silicone around the pollen filter box. The blower motor was also not working, got my arm in there with some WD40 and pushed the motor spindle to and fro. Got it going and then greased it. Its lasted over a year since then.Ā 

GM era Saabs ain't a patch on the real deal but they're cheap enough rammel so I'm not complaining.Ā 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Bought a new empty case for the key yesterday.

Swapped the innards over, all buttons work, car started.

This morning the car recognised the key as it released the steering lock, but the barrel wonā€™t turn. Iā€™m hoping itā€™s just the new case and not the key itself, as it does appear to be a tad larger. Iā€™ll have to dig through the bin and find the old case and see if the new case is the problem, as I donā€™t think it pushes on the button at the bottom of the keyhole down. Because smidge bigger

• 1 month later...

Today was the day I decided to change the front section of the exhaust, the flexi has a minuscule blow at the MoT in November ā€˜22, but it gave out completely when we went to Manchester the other weekend.

Finally dug out the replacement which has been in the shed for 8 months.

IMG_2905.thumb.jpeg.63e06ab3d0b42278c1fe0f3219ae3f5c.jpeg

Thankfully identical. Save a bracket in the new pipe, missing from the old. No remnants under the car of any support which is a concern, nor have I found any suitable mounting point.

Itā€™s not fun squeezing under quite a low car when youā€™re a fat old knacker like me, I did ask if I could use one of the pits in the workshop at work, but was told no.

• dozeydustman changed the title to Saab 93 the second - uttƶmma

Having a general mooch around underneath it would appear Iā€™ll need a few more things for the MoT as the front pads are about 4mm, and the front discs look a bit past it. With 6 months left I think theyā€™ll be in their last knockings at test time. Better to be proactive than reactive. Nothing else looks major so I may as well order up the rear brakes at the same time - at least Iā€™ll have them to hand when the time comes.

Air con has packed up and I have noticed the condenser is bowed, and also the bottom of the inter cooler is looking a little worse for wear as well, while not desperately in need of change, Iā€™ll keep my eyes peeled for them. Lack of an under tray means exposed to the elements and the billiard table smooth* road around here.

Been out for a 15 minute drive and the car runs sweetly and exhaust gas is no longer getting in the cabin, which it had started to do earlier this week. I can hear the turbo spool up and she really flies along now. Hopefully MPGs will be better as well.

• 3 months later...

as stated In news 24 the Saab had a low fuel moment with a lack of impetus yesterday.

When I started it up this morning to get ready for changing fuel filter and the long overdue oil change I didnā€™t hear the lift pump prime, which is unusual. As I was also unsure if I had a spin-on or paper element filter I purchased both from Halfrauds and collected this morning.

Jacking the car up and removing the plastic cover I was pleased to see it was the spin-on type. With a bowl underneath I undone the water drain to find nothing coming out, so I removed it in its entirety to find some not brilliant fuel come out the pipework and filter.

IMG_3340.thumb.jpeg.7b2b4488e5d5991d1b70451468f8a4cf.jpeg

New canister primed with a drop of fresh diseasel, spun on and water sensor wire reconnected. Turned the ignition on and still no lift pump sound. Car did start but a bit of a splutter at first but soon ticked over nicely. A quick spin round the estate proved power was a lot better but still couldnā€™t cope with full throttle. Then I remembered last time I had this situation was when the leak-offs failed on my blue 9-3, so I disconnected the battery for 5 mins, reconnected and lift pump started priming. A test drive revealed performance was better still but not 100%.

IMG_3341.thumb.jpeg.94e17df3be667b1d9b17343eb72a3a2e.jpeg

This was the fuel from the filter after it settled. Ugh.

I drew my attention to the waste gate vacuum pipe, the one from the vac pump to where it goes along the engine then to the valve on the slam panel was doing a great impression of some Swiss cheese, but the metal bit on top of the engine was 5mm, and the barb from the pump 3mm. I only had 3mm in stock so I improvised.

IMG_3342.thumb.jpeg.94d8f61f7c261f41475f582524748650.jpeg

I will try and locate an original piece.

I also knew the EGR was on its way out so that got hoiked off and changed.

IMG_3344.thumb.jpeg.2637e8d52f99fa7e56e3104453c97fb5.jpeg
EML is still on and the connector on the end of the EGR wonā€™t go fully home, it only fits one way so Iā€™ll have to look at that another time.

Still canā€™t get that sodding sump plug out and I canā€™t find my vacuum extractor pump. Service is 5k over now. I have plans this afternoon so now need to go and get cleaned up.

• dozeydustman changed the title to Saab 93 the second - manky fuel
  • 3 months later...

Having been impressed with the Rikens on the Kia, I've ordered a pair of their All Seasons for the 93 wagon for Ā£140 which should be delivered Monday. I've also ordered a pair of extra wheels which these will be fitted to, hopefully in before the end of the week. The Uniroyals on the front still have around 4mm tread on them, they're about 18 months old so wearing ok for tyres which reportedly wear quickly on a heavy car, they've done the thick end of 20k since they were fitted. I may put them on the back and use the two

IMG_3439.jpeg.bbac395917943a5cf14cd21d0c24939f.thumb.jpeg.4416c09c42dcae9ab3b2bfe71b31031e.jpeg

as spares. I'm still not sold on these. They're a bit noisy and the back end can be a bit twitchy even at low road speeds. The ridiculous amount of rain and the propensity for Bognor Regis to flood along both the A259 Bognor-Chichester Road and the A29 into the town from Fontwell, and it always seems to snow at any of my friends or relatives around the country just in the new year means I'm less than happy with something I don't have 100% faith in. I had shit tyres on this when I first bought the car, something I'm keen not to repeat.

14 minutes ago, Crackers said:

You're probably sorted now, but can borrow mine if needed.

I have found it, but since the weather has been pretty much appalling since I found it, the garage is full of shite which needs putting elsewhere, and with a big hole in my front lawn which should have been a drive 3 weeks ago I may ask a garage to do the job for me!

Incidentally I was hoping you still had those alloys available as Iā€™d have bought 4 winter tyres instead of just the 2