Saab 93 - ice cold

dozeydustman

• 2 months later...
  • dozeydustman changed the title to Saab 93 - ice cold
7 minutes ago, horriblemercedes said:

I hope it stays that way! I'm hoping a regas fixes mine, but I'm not doing it until after the MOT on the 4th of July

It stopped working on way back from taking my stepdaughter home, I also noticed the external air temp sensor had dropped from 27 to -17 degrees C. Wondering if that’s anything to do with it. 

52 minutes ago, dozeydustman said:

It stopped working on way back from taking my stepdaughter home, I also noticed the external air temp sensor had dropped from 27 to -17 degrees C. Wondering if that’s anything to do with it. 

Yup it will be. 

Most modern* AC systems make use of the outside air temp sensor and a sunlight detector on the dashboard to adjust the amount of cooling being generated.  Many systems can cope with the loss of one or either of these sensors, but some use them as gospel and turn off the AC if it thinks it's not necessary, even if the interior car sensor is at 30c and you're requesting 20c.  Clearly the Saab/Vaux system is one of those.

The good news is that the sensor is often an industry standard NTP sensor, meaning you don't need a £30 sensor from a dealer, you can use a 99p sensor from ebay and splice it in.  Do check first tho!

38 minutes ago, Talbot said:

Most modern* AC systems make use of the outside air temp sensor and a sunlight detector on the dashboard to adjust the amount of cooling being generated.  Many systems can cope with the loss of one or either of these sensors, but some use them as gospel and turn off the AC if it thinks it's not necessary, even if the interior car sensor is at 30c and you're requesting 20c.  Clearly the Saab/Vaux system is one of those.

The good news is that the sensor is often an industry standard NTP sensor, meaning you don't need a £30 sensor from a dealer, you can use a 99p sensor from ebay and splice it in.  Do check first tho!

I got a good tested used one from Neo Brothers